What's keeping water out of my bow?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkman222

Reaction score
Working on an 89 Alumicraft Dominator CS and need an experienced eye to help me understand what I have.

I was taking on more water than I liked last fall so I put some water in the boat to locate leaks. Found a few hull cracks and also had a dribble coming out of drain hole at the back of the keel guard.

Fast forward, I'm now replacing the deck and tracking down hull cracks and leaks while the hull is open. In the bow, there is a void at the bottom that opens into the V shaped keel piece. If I pour water in this void, water will drip out the keel drain hole. It looks like at one time there was a gasket or seal of some sort separating the bow interior from the keel channel. Not sure. If so, it's failed.

Can someone tell me what is supposed to keep water from coming up the keel from the drain hole and into my boat?

Attachments

• IMG_20201123_122252366.jpg
    IMG_20201123_122252366.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20201123_122242630.jpg
    IMG_20201123_122242630.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 131
Probably nothing.
Is your keel perforated or cracked somewhere? Maybe you can find where and seal it there.

Otherwise, you might be able to clean up the metal, and run a fat bead of pure silicone or 5200 or some other sealant across the top of that opening, and then tool it into place for a good seal, but that's just a wild guess.

I hope you figure out a good solution.

Latest posts