When manufactures say 100 gauge...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trusting a mfg is like trusting a politician. take you calipers to the dealer and bust his balls if he is a liar.

A 100 gauge piece of aluminum has a thickness of 0.0010 inches. Gauge is a universal system used to measure the thickness of metal and wire. This is the official definition of 100 gauge. https://www.answers.com/Q/How_thick_is_100_gauge_aluminum
"Most aluminum foil labeled "Extra Heavy Duty" is between .0011 thick and .0016 thick." https://uspackagingandwrapping.com › blog › thickness-of-aluminum-foil.html.

I was going to say, 100 gauge has to be about like tin foil. A tin foil boat doesn't really have any utility aside from junior high science class.

I'm sure they mean a tenth of an inch. That's a pretty common size for freshwater aluminum boat hulls.

It could also have been a typo where an extra zero was added, as 10 gauge aluminum is also about .100".

Improper use of the word "gauge". Maybe on purpose because it sounds tough and manly to refer to metal thickness as "gauge" so it's a marketing phrase. Maybe just some guy in the marketing department who got the terms mixed up and it stuck.

maintenanceguy

Post by maintenanceguy » 07 Apr 2022, 15:47
Improper use of the word "gauge". Maybe on purpose because it sounds tough and manly to refer to metal thickness as "gauge" so it's a marketing phrase. Maybe just some guy in the marketing department who got the terms mixed up and it stuck.

yep, that gets my vote. marketing can manipulate for profits and get paid to do it!

yeah a well-known manufacturer (where I bought my boat) advertises .100 ga aluminum. I called him out on it and they changed their marketing. The reasoning is that "gauge" is a term that most people recognize, saying 100 thousandths thick aluminum doesn't mean much to most of the general public

turbotodd

Unread post by turbotodd » 12 Apr 2022, 22:23
"yeah a well-known manufacturer (where I bought my boat) advertises .100 ga aluminum. I called him out on it and they changed their marketing. The reasoning is that "gauge" is a term that most people recognize, saying 100 thousandths thick aluminum doesn't mean much to most of the general public"

and there is the problem on nearly everything these days. most of the general public dont know or care about anything other than their phone.indoctrinate them, give them free money, and tell them what they should buy. folks like us are not supposed to ask questions that require a truthful answer.