Where do you store your boat registration while out on the water?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That plastic card is a great idea. I wish we had that.

I keep my keys and wallet in my pockets. Probably not the best practice, but I've been carrying them that way for years and pretty confident they will stay put. I hadn't really thought about it, but guess if the worst ever happens and I have to exit the boat, water won't seriously damage either and I would rather keep those things on me.
Consider a Ziplock bag if you have one of those battery operated car key fobs. They are expensive.
1686330091826.jpeg

That SeaSense orange plastic bucket is handy. It’s got a screw-on lid, a rubber gasket to seal tight so it is waterproof. Good color and will float, be visible. The lip has one flat side so you can bail with it.

The yellow bag is soft sided and holds more.

By the way, two vital items always in the orange bucket: toilet paper and spare glasses.
1686586139684.jpeg
1686586223328.jpeg

A friend uses a small dry bag that seals very well !! He tried using it as a float in a swimming pool and it held him up without issues !!! Now he brings that along on his boat, adds his wallet, keys, phone, papers etc. It sits right beside him in his seat, if he ever goes overboard, that bag goes along, even has a cord to attach if needed. Not only keeps his critical stuff dry but also acts like a life preserver....I am definetly giving his idea some serious thought !!

Looking for creative way to store my boat registration while out on the Jon Boat for easy quick access when the law man floats up & also to keep it from blowing out. I could just use a zip lock bag and toss it somewhere, but maybe you have a special netting that holds it in place so it cant blow out? Would love to see your pics if you got something creative that works.
I take a picture of it and my fishing license with my iPhone. I always have it with me when fishing or boating.

Licenses, registrations - anything DNR related is managed on my gowild account in Wisconsin. Click the link to view any license or registration that I need, and I take a screenshot of it with my phone. It can be presented as a "paper copy" anywhere and anytime it is needed. I also have papers in a plastic bag in my tackle box. That tackle box is never not in the boat.

I put it in a dry box inside my dry box.
The larger box is a cooler with latches, it accompanies the 3gal. gas tank in the back of the boat.

I'd like to thank everyone who weighed in here. Think these are common concerns we all have. I've come up with my own solutions, but many of these ideas are better than what I've been doing.

One problem I have is carrying tools and a few parts. Keep throwing extra stuff into an old square roofing nails container which sorta seals and last time I checked it floated. Thing is getting heavy though. Should I chuck all the tools and hope for the best or is there some type of floating tool box I can get? A cooler has also come to mind, but most don't have a cover that latches and they're a bit bulky.

The weight of the tools probably exceed any flotation value of the container unless you have a really big flotation chambers. Back in my younger days I carried everything but the kitchen sink, but after a while, realized that most of that stuff would never get used while on the water !! I also realized how critical preventative maintenence is, and if done regularly, the stuff that I carried became useless. Now, I just carry spare plugs, a piece of fuel hose and a couple clamps, duct tape of course, and some strands of wire. Spare prop, spare prop nut and washer. Some basic pliers, screw drivers, plug socket, spare fuses etc. Most of this I have never needed in the past twenty years. I know....guys like to carry stuff just in case a repair might be needed !! But in reality, it just becomes extra weight, so keep your motor in top condition and forget the extras. My two cents and I am stickin to it !!!

I keep my license and boat reg. in my wallet. Both are hard plastic. water will not hurt them. Also I have an app from TWRA that has my boat and license in the app on the phone. Keep phone in water proof container when boating.

Latest posts