Where does everyone get their project boats?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnsboat

Reaction score
Other than the normal places, boattrader, Craigslist, marketplace, etc.

Where else should I be looking for a project boat? My goal is 16 ft V but a large modified V would work also (like a 17ft or bigger tracker?).

Thanks for your help.

Try driving around your local lakes/rivers and look for ones that have been obviously sitting for some time. Knock on doors and inquire.

Can also post WTB in CL, Marketplace, etc, but that is usually a magnet for high price offers.

Good luck.

I look and sell on the Fall and Spring Craig's list, when folks are looking at storage space and the old boats they don't use, or when then think the world is alive with potential customers. Get all the accessories you see when you are buying, even if you don't see an immediate need for them.

Best wishes

Got any outside rented storage lots around? That could be a place to look, too. Might be tough getting some contact info out of the "landlords", though.

Roger

GTS225 said:
Got any outside rented storage lots around? That could be a place to look, too. Might be tough getting some contact info out of the "landlords", though.

Roger

I often wonder about that. I drive by a couple of those places full of boats and RVs. Some haven't moved in a long time -- years I expect.

If there's a marine repair shop near you, sometimes they have stuff sitting around that the owner's are tired of paying storage fees on. It also doesn't hurt to put a feeler out there and leave your number with the owner.

When scrap is high you may occasionally see them show up at scrap yards, our local yard will set the better hulls aside and try to resell them whole before melting them down into ingots.

Marketplace is your best bet though, Craigslist doesn't get a whole lot of traffic anymore but it does get some.

I got both of the tin boats I’ve owned in my lifetime from junk yards. One I stumbled on in person that was near new looking with no trailer and my current boat that needed a total rebuild of boat and trailer.

The boat needed gutted and a new transom and the trailer got a full teardown and paint along with modifications to better suit my needs.