Which aluminum paint to use???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defiant0ne

Reaction score
Hello, first post here.

I am trying to decide on which paint would work better for my situation. I have an aluminum welded v-hull boat that I looking to paint. It already has a two tone paint job on it and I am looking to repaint the top color (top side). So, my question is which paint do you recommend: Duralux Marine Enamel or the Duralux Marine Aluminum boat paint?

The paint that is currently on the boat is in pretty good shape, but does have quite a few spots of dock rash. And of those there are scrapes that go to bare aluminum, but there is 98% coverage of the original factory paint. Based on the attached picture, I will remove all the decals before painting. I hope this information helps in recommending the best application.

I am open to other ideas as well. Any thoughts or practical experience would be appreciated.

d1

Attachments

• 2675.jpeg
    2675.jpeg
    32.8 KB · Views: 433
Will either paint work on top of the original paint? Is there a price difference between the 2 paints?

lckstckn2smknbrls said:
Will either paint work on top of the original paint? Is there a price difference between the 2 paints?

Yes, either paint will work over original paint. Just need to sand slightly and cover any bare aluminum spots with primer. Price point is around $20 difference between the 2 (depending on where you purchase them).

Don't overthink the "painting aluminum" part.
Realistically, you are "painting on paint", not the aluminum itself.
Metal, especially aluminum, has a really broad expansion and contraction
characteristic. So you need a paint that will expand and contract equally
with the surface it is on. Hard enamels are great, IF applied properly.
Bow.JPG
I painted the bow of this boat 2 years ago and the Florida sun really beats up
any and all kinds of paint, no matter what it is on.
There are maybe 4 or so coats under this top coat. The Chromate Primer was
applied back in 1990 and is loosing its grip.
so, since I have a couple of very nice Johnson 35s now, I will sand it smooth,
but not down to bare metal, use the appropriate primers with a repaint and it is
off to the races. And, in 2 to 4 years, do it all over again.
Good luck !!
Please share some pics as you progress.

and, Welcome Aboard !!