Which V-hull 14' has the widest beam?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zip

Reaction score
All, Im sorry if this has been posted before. BUT, I have been on every manufacturer website I can find/remember!

I am looking for a v-hull in the 14 range. I live in south Florida, so some of the Canadian makes probably wont make it down here. I am trying to price out and find some that have a combination of the widest beam and deepest hull. It looks most wides are standard at about 60in, with a few at 68. The typical depth is around 20in with a few just a bit taller. I have specifically been looking at the alumacraft v14 and the crestliner 1469. I like how the alumacraft has a floor and comes with the splash guard. Am I missing a few other models? I saw the Princecraft looked a lot like the alumacraft but I want to make sure I source all my options before I pull the trigger. For what its worth - the alumacraft seats 5, which is nice. Will be powered for the meantime with a 15HP Yamaha 2-stroke.

Start here ... https://www.tinboats.net/threads/deep-and-wide-14’-aluminum-utility-boat.45653/#post-458242
But admittedly now that post is a few years old. Please be AWARE that what you ask is not easy to do nor maintain once in place ...

I have a spec sheet that says Smoker Craft made a 72" beam model, but no interior height is provided. Be aware that a hull without a floor would offer more stability and plane at less HP, due to weight, whereas you're only using a 15hp motor.

The Tracker Guide V14 is one I always liked. Pretty tall sides, 20hp maximum, 68" beam. It looks like they don't make it anymore which kinda stinks for you, but I'm sure there's still plenty around.

Thanks all. I actually really like the smoker craft as well. I see some of the guide v14 from tracker on FB market place. I also noticed they dont make it anymore. The 15HP will most likely be a "temporary" motor. I have access to a 20HP Merc 4-stroke on my brothers 13ft Whaler, and when he decided to repower - I will take it back. I was just on my buddies Alumacraft v14 which and he just repowered with a brand new suzuki 25HP tiller with power t/t - and it was kind of perfect. I understand the floor and weight issue - I am no speed demon so I am willing to give up some top end for even a small increase in comfort for my wife (who does not own a pair of sea legs lol). Plan to start getting quotes for new vs some of the used finds soon.

Resized_20220902_193152 (3).jpeg

My Princecraft is 73" wide (63" across the bottom) and 16' long, and is about 22" deep at the transom, and about 32" deep in the middle of the bow. I had to add the front platform, as you are up to your waist without it. Now, it has a ton of storage under there. Princecraft is not so common around here, but I really like the boat. I've bought and sold a number of them, but this one is still here, for what it's worth.

I know you probably aren't looking for a boat with bunks, but this is the one I have, and I'm impressed with the construction. They make many other models nowadays. Here is the boat cruising the other day. Very good running boat:

All, Im sorry if this has been posted before. BUT, I have been on every manufacturer website I can find/remember!

I am looking for a v-hull in the 14 range. I live in south Florida, so some of the Canadian makes probably wont make it down here. I am trying to price out and find some that have a combination of the widest beam and deepest hull. It looks most wides are standard at about 60in, with a few at 68. The typical depth is around 20in with a few just a bit taller. I have specifically been looking at the alumacraft v14 and the crestliner 1469. I like how the alumacraft has a floor and comes with the splash guard. Am I missing a few other models? I saw the Princecraft looked a lot like the alumacraft but I want to make sure I source all my options before I pull the trigger. For what its worth - the alumacraft seats 5, which is nice. Will be powered for the meantime with a 15HP Yamaha 2-stroke.
For what it's worth: marina put a 25 hp Suzuki 4 stroke on my 14' LUND. thought I'd want the extra power to cover the large bayside opening to ocean water that I'm on. The motor is fine but made boat too stern heavy, dealing with bow rise, porpoising ever since. I'd go for something smaller if had to do it again. Take a good look at that balance. Boat handling, ease of planing, etc. more important than simple power.

For what it's worth: marina put a 25 hp Suzuki 4 stroke on my 14' LUND. thought I'd want the extra power to cover the large bayside opening to ocean water that I'm on. The motor is fine but made boat too stern heavy, dealing with bow rise, porpoising ever since. I'd go for something smaller if had to do it again. Take a good look at that balance. Boat handling, ease of planing, etc. more important than simple power.
Add an Attwood 'gull wing' foil and you'll be THRILLED with the difference and then LOVE that motor choice! FWIW I ran 30hp 2-strokes on my various Lund 14's through the years when I had them, and yes ... all with hydrofoils.

seems DaleH has had a lot of experience with this kind of set up, strongly recommends a hydro foil. trying one on my Lund .

Princecraft is definately on my radar. There was one for sale a few weeks ago in the Lake Placid area but sold. Love the look and construction.

Also, I plan to use the hydrofoil, as I have used it on all of my boats for years as well (my boats have all been under 15ft)

seems DaleH has had a lot of experience with this kind of set up, strongly recommends a hydro foil. trying one on my Lund .
I can vouch for the foil as well.

I had a 14' Alumacraft with a 25hp Johnson. That particular 25hp was really a detuned 35, very heavy for that size motor. Porpoised so badly you couldn't use more than half throttle.

I put an SE Sport foil on it, turned into a rocket ship, handled like it was on rails.

That SE Sport 200 is a good foil too! I used to run those, but since switched to the Attwood ‘gull wing’ model as I can get them cheaper and they work just as well.

Prince Crafts are NICE beamy, and deep, hulls … but they are dayum hard to find!!!!

Interesting comments about using a foil. Today, I put a 1996 Johnson 30 HP on the tracker I picked up recently. That boat ran great with a 15 Merc 4-stroke, topping out at 22 mph. It ran great, but that wasn't my motor, and it was really heavy for a 15:

So today, I put on the 30, and it actually weighs 2 lbs less than the 15, but it has a lot more power. Almost too much power. Ran it right up to 32 mph, but I'm not used to running a tiller boat, and it felt almost out of control, kind of scary.

It has a 17" shaft, so I shimmed it up with a 1" block, but I need to drop it back down, as the prop was blowing out on turns and if I was too quick on acceleration. Here is a short video:

Back to the topic, I have an SE sport in my junk pile. Is it too big for a 30? Does it slow down the performance at all?

I took a look, and what I have is an SE 400. Way too big for this little motor.
I also have some Doel Fins, but they look huge, too.

I wonder if I cut some flat aluminum in an approximate Doel Fin shape, smooth the edges and mount it, would that be helpful?

Look at the Attwood 'gull wing' one, where the wings help get it on place but once up on plane the tips are out of the water. Actually, the OB vent plate should ideally be atornear the surface of the water as it moves around the LU anyway.

In an old test of 8 or more foils, the SE Sport series tested the best, really not much (1MPH from memory?) of top speed, if any, but note the Attwood foil wasn't around then. The SE Sport 200 would be an ideal size for a 30hp.

Thanks for that info, I'll google search it.

Today, I dropped the motor down an hole, and plan to go test it in the morning. If I can't get it to behave by adjusting the trim angle, I'll probably try a hydrofoil. Thanks again.

Balance IS very important. More than power, when it comes to safety.

The 4-strokes are VERY heavy. The 15 I tested in the video above, I had on a Lowe that was rated for it, and it was TERRIBLE. I stepped in the boat, and dunked the back corner of the boat and dipped about 5 gallons of water in 1/2 second! Scared me enough that I moved it to the big Tracker.

The 30HP 2-stroke Johnson in the other video was actually 2 lbs lighter than the 15 HP, and literally has double the power. You might want to consider seeing if you can find a lighter engine, even a good-running 2 stroke, if you want more power to weight. You will easily be able to sell your Mercury, possibly for what you paid for it, depending on if it was before prices went crazy.

Latest posts