White vs Yellow or Amber Head Lights in Fog

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shinyboat

Reaction score
I’ve been running about 20,000 lumens of auxbeam light bars on the front of the boat for hunting. It’s really hard to see running the river on foggy days with the reflection of light off the fog.

Has anyone run yellow or amber lights and how did you like them?

In my state, any type of headlamps while under way is prohibited except for docking. Amber works for cars and trucks, why not a boat? I would be sure and check you local laws though......

airshot said:
In my state, any type of headlamps while under way is prohibited except for docking. Amber works for cars and trucks, why not a boat? I would be sure and check you local laws though......

I'm not completely sure but think that is the case in my state.

Problem with bright spots or floods is the reflections kill your sight. Even worse with reflections off the water. Not sure about amber.

I operate an outboard boat early mornings when it is as dark as it gets at night to duck hunt. I have two 20,000 Lumen LED light bars on the front of my boat and they are great for finding blinds and the like after making a run but they are worthless for navigating. Any light at all ruins your night vision which is pretty good for most folks if they will allow themselves to get used to it and trust it. Headlamps on a car allow the driver to see about 150 feet in front of them with low beams (about 200 feet on high). They are shining on a surface that is normally not very reflective.....when the street is wet that distance is FAR less.....and they're are less reflective surfaces for the lights to shine on adjacent to the road....trees, grass, shoulders, white lines etc. None of the latter exists on a lake and are of little use even on a river of any size....so the lights are just shining into a void with nothing for them to illuminate....with the added nuisance of the light shining on a highly reflective surface.....between the reflection and the lack of objects being illuminated on the peripherary of the light there is simply no frame of reference and you can only see about 30-40 feet in front of the boat. Car head lamps are typically around 1200 lumens. I have 2 - 20,000 on my boat and I do not use them except when I know I am on top of where I am headed because the environment that those lights are cast into is so reflective that you can't see much of anything......its closer to staring into oncoming lights than it is to driving a car at night. I use the lights to spot blinds and openings in grass that I know is there but cant find but only when I know I am 30 feet or so away....and to set decoys....but they are useless for navigating as is almost all light on a boat at night....far safer to run at a safe speed with the least amount of light on as required.....in my epxerience

Shinyboat said:
I’ve been running about 20,000 lumens of auxbeam light bars on the front of the boat for hunting. It’s really hard to see running the river on foggy days with the reflection of light off the fog.

Has anyone run yellow or amber lights and how did you like them?

Fog is an entirely different monster....I NEVER use my light bars in fog. I tried it once on the Columbia River and became as disoriented as I have ever been in a boat....very scary. Impossible to see anything and zero sense of motion even though the boat was booming along with the current. I ran that same stretch of river with a lowrance graph chart combo at a sufficient speed to maintain steerage in heavy fog with nothing but required navigation lights and had zero problem. I can't imagine amber lights being any better because there is nothing for them to illuminate at the peripherary and fog is as reflective as water surface.....take a hand held spot light with an amber filter and shine it into a fog on the water....I will bet you can see better without it than with it....

Latest posts