Why are 16ft jon boats not that common?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just bought my 1978 1644p MonArk for $600 bucks. Boat motor and trailer. Im currently pulling out the old carpet and ply but Ive found dry styrofoam underneath. We backed the boat into the lake the day I went to pick it up. left it there for 4 hours no leaks so I bought it. IMHO 16 footers rock!!

I love it!! When I was shopping around I found a bunch of boats for the 600-800 price range but this one was it!! Plus it was only 1.5 miles away from me!! :D

Attachments

• boat.jpg
    boat.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 990
  • boat2.jpg
    boat2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 990
I know this is an old thread but I agree with alot of what people are saying. It is hard to find a 16' jon at an economical price, not to mention they already come with upgrades or consoles. I did luck out as did you with a 16' Lowe line jon with a trailer and tiller handle motor for $600. I have started moding my boat and I love the extra size, especially for the price.

Having had a couple bad experiences, I disagree with the idea that when you start looking in the 16' - 18' jon boats, that you should really consider a regular fiberglass bass boat. Notice I said jon boats, because a 16-18' higher end/newer Triton, G3, etc that is already a bass boat with the console, remote steering, etc really is getting into good glass boat money. But if you have ~$4k or less, I think you're much better off looking at tin. Older fiberglass bass boats in this price range have wood floors, and while they may seem ok at first, something as simple as replacing old carpet very often leads to replacing the transom, floor, stringers, etc. Great if that's your thing, but it ain't mine. I know there are some older cream puffs that have been in the garage all their life and don't need all this stuff, but at least in my neck of the woods, that puts you in the $5-7k range, especially for a solid brand like a Ranger. So again this is just a long-winded way of saying that even if you have more than $500-1000 to spend, you may still be better off, and happier with a tin boat.

The thing is I didnt care what boat I found 12, 14, or 16. I wanted it to be stable and be able to modify it to be mine. I feel as if I got lucky on mine because it had maintnance records since it was new. Thr previous owner had a heart attack and just couldnt take care or use her anymore and decided to sell it. I have 3 friends that have big new glass boats one 21ft champion, one 21 ft 09 Skeeter, and one has a 22 ft New bullet. But they are all scared to put the boats in the stickups and laydowns to get to the fish. I wanted an aluminum boat so i didnt have to worry about such things and now I have one IM going straight to the honey holes. When I get her done. I like the 16 because its big enough for Me shelly and my 9 yo stepdaughter that will probably be a Bass Pro angler at 19. Shes a fishing fool and cant wait til her boat is ready!! lol

Hers a couple pics of my 16 ft MonArk, even though the bottom is only 44in the top deck is 5ft 6in wide in the back and almost 5ft all the way to the back of the front deck. Remember shes a project! And for $600 I feel like i got a great deal! If i didnt plese let me know!!

Thanks, Scott

Attachments

• boat and canoe 002.JPG
    boat and canoe 002.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 973
  • boat and canoe 007.JPG
    boat and canoe 007.JPG
    199.6 KB · Views: 973
  • boat and canoe 003.JPG
    boat and canoe 003.JPG
    241.6 KB · Views: 973
  • boat and canoe 010.JPG
    boat and canoe 010.JPG
    193.3 KB · Views: 973
You see more small boats modified because they're easy to pick up for a couple hundred $. In some areas 16's are a lot cheaper but there aren't a lot of them in Iowa. I found out this summer! There are some but the asking price for even a dumpy one is $1k here. It's easier to take a risk with less $.

Thanks Hydrilla! Ive been thinking of a bunch of mods but I believe Paint, carpet,Steering cable and some wiring and Im putting her on the lake where we belong!

Latest posts