Why are 16ft jon boats not that common?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djchris

Reaction score
I have been searching various forums for about 2 years now and have noticed that most modified boats are 14 footers? Just wondering why that is? I had a 17' lowe and now i have a 16' lowe and i am having a hard time finding any material on my boat. Is there anyone doing any modifications to their 16 foot boats??

This has no backing but the reason I and several of my friends bought a 14ft boat is because they are cheaper. That is the reason we mod them out too. We are all do-it-yourself'rs! It allows us to play with tools and at the same time save money which makes our wifes happy. Not to mention having something really cool we show off. :lol:

You have an advantage though! you can build a better boat with a 16ft! Not only is it longer it is probably wider. It also allows you to have more weight and a bigger motor. I'll trade you! :---)

My guess would be because a 16 ft boat is quite a bit more valuable than the 12 or 14ft. If you are going to spend the money to get a boat thats 16 foot your right under the range of a good used bassboat. So instead of modifying an aluminum and trying to turn it into a bass boat, you would just buy a bass boat. But you will find alot of people on here that really like aluminum and would prefer it over a fiberglass bass boat, so its just my opinion. I have modified aluminums and I never really feel comfortable to move around when standing. So recently I just got an old 16ft fiberglass boat for free that im going to gut and turn into a bass boat. I think its gonna turn out good and be real stable. You can do alot with your 16ft jon. Go through and look at everybodies mods then pick and choose what you like and make your own.

Good luck
Travis

16' is a little bigger for small waters than many people want. 16' is also about the point where they normally start getting some sort of factory interior and consoles added to them.

There are tons of 16' jons around my area because of the 2 large lakes nearby.

I see. I got my boat really cheap. $500 for boat, motor and trailer. I just wish i could find pictures of one that is at least similar to mine so i can get better ideas on what to do.

Pretty sure theres a few here.
Even the 14 footers will be the same but doing it would be on a larger scale.I search through the boat mods section later and see what i can find.
You can also look at already decked out boats(new)and convert them to your needs.

Personally I bought a nice 17DCNitro with a 115 hp, got rid of it for an 18' Ranger with a Merc 150 and got rid of it for a new Tracker Grizzly 1754. 17' long and floor is 54". It was a empty hull and I just spent the last 6 months carpeting, flooring etc. etc. Had several reasons. FOR ME it started with something I could pull with my Toyota, had plenty of room, 60HP Merc 4 Stroke good on gas, low draft, and customize customize customize. I'm 62 and lazy. Electric anchors front and rear, It is a lot easier for me to handle than a glass boat and big motor. I am absolutely ecstatic on how it came out. My primary agenda was KISS. Keep is simple stupid. I tried to follow that agenda as best I could.

dunk50 said:
Personally I bought a nice 17DCNitro with a 115 hp, got rid of it for an 18' Ranger with a Merc 150 and got rid of it for a new Tracker Grizzly 1754. 17' long and floor is 54". It was a empty hull and I just spent the last 6 months carpeting, flooring etc. etc. Had several reasons. FOR ME it started with something I could pull with my Toyota, had plenty of room, 60HP Merc 4 Stroke good on gas, low draft, and customize customize customize. I'm 62 and lazy. Electric anchors front and rear, It is a lot easier for me to handle than a glass boat and big motor. I am absolutely ecstatic on how it came out. My primary agenda was KISS. Keep is simple stupid. I tried to follow that agenda as best I could.
Do you have any pictures? Sounds really nice. I am thinking of upgrading but I'm not sure.

Yea I took alot of before and after but not many in between. I will see if I can figure how to post them.
Not to hijack this thread I will start another. Let me read the rules for posting first. Thanks

just look around here and you will find.This is a great site and it doesn't mater if it is a 14' or 16' just look at all ideas and see how they will or will not work for you.Mine is a 16' that i am working on Lowe l1648m and i love what people are doing to there boats here.
POST PIC. WELCOME

Most manufactures stop making the cheaper riveted jons around 14 to 15 feet long.The welded jons and mod Vs usually pick up at 15 to 16 feet and go up from there.The more expensive welded jons and larger jons are rarely sold or trade because they coast a lot more.People have a tendency to hold on to them.I know I already posted some of this earlier in this thread.

ben2go said:
Most manufactures stop making the cheaper riveted jons around 14 to 15 feet long.

I believe this to be incorrect. You can still get 16' riveted jons from most all of the big manufacturers. It's just not what they advertise because they make more $ on the welded models with all of the bells and whistles.

You can get a new l1648m mod v in front for 1500 to 1800 depends on where you are at. riveted Jon a lot of people have them here.

Quackrstackr said:
ben2go said:
Most manufactures stop making the cheaper riveted jons around 14 to 15 feet long.

I believe this to be incorrect. You can still get 16' riveted jons from most all of the big manufacturers. It's just not what they advertise because they make more $ on the welded models with all of the bells and whistles.

Correct.That was my reason for saying most manufactures.The bigger well know brands do make bigger riveted jons.

dunk50 said:

Ironically, I'm with you almost 100% .... except I'm much younger :mrgreen: I have a nice used bassboat (15ft, 50hp Evinrude), but I had a small pickup and it was all it could do to tow it. Now I've got an SUV so that's not an issue, but I have decided I like the lighter weight. I love that I can build it myself, and I don't know, I just like aluminum. I finished my 14fter, and then I got a 17 ft one I'm getting ready to do. Its got a 50hp on it, and I haven't decided exactly which way I'm gonna go yet, but I know that for me, it will be worth its weight in gold when done!

Here is a pic of mine. Doesn't have many ideas for you. All I wanted was a quiet and flat floor. If I need to get up higher off the water I stand on the factory deck and/or seats. It is a 1644mv. I like the simplicity of the just a plain flat carpeted floor. I thought about adding seats and bases, but I've used small lawn chairs with great success and really like them. The seat in the rear isn't bolted down and can be moved around wherever needed. Works good. Not hijacking, just a pic since you asked.
DSC05094.JPG

Cave that looks like a sweet fishing machine. I just went a little further with carpet and toys. I definitely like your idea of a lawn chair. My idea was to build a perfect boat for THIS area. I Bass fish, I panfish and salmon fish. Around here we can steelhead fish for about 9 possibly 10 months. When I sit out on the river for 8 or 10 hours the lawn chairs are real comfortable. Plan on an enclosed bimini top / cabin for those cold rainy snowy days. Got the material just need the bimini and to sew up the cabin.

Latest posts