Why not Diamond plating

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Taking the dog for a walk this AM when I come across a guy backing in a "barn find" jon boat into his driveway. The hull although dirty was in pretty good shape, a bunch of leaves and some branches too, a rotted out seat and a dry rot wheel at the helm. No engine on her and the carpet foredeck was tattered.

In our brief talk he said he intended to redo the entire boat stem to stern, seems like a nice winter project, my question, why do people put plywood as a flooring and decking material instead of a sheet of Aluminum and diamond plate? Wood is heavier, gets wet and saturated, coating with carpet makes it hold water and stains/smells.

So what's the reasons? Thanks

Cheaper - for my boat (14' Alumacraft) I estimated the costs

BCX plywood + sealer + carpet = approx $200
1/8" Diamond plate to do the same area = approx $400 with 3003, $550-$600 for 6061

And that's with a place local that has aluminum cheaper than any box store - even Menards with their 11% rebate.

Use marine vinyl ... sheds water, hard to stain, secure footing, easy to clean and will look a good 10-20 years later if well cared for. Mine old rig was 24-years young whence sold and the vinyl floor was perfect!

mine came factory with a diamond tread floor. The low deck is just plain flat aluminum.

What was said about diamond tread getting hot is true. So is the "hard on knees" statement.

But then again so is wood, it's hard and it also gets warm out in the sun.

So what I did was get some self-stick hydroturf and put it down on the low deck up front since that's where 99% of my boat time is spent. I can (and often do) crappie fish in the hottest part of the summer, on the very middle of a 40,000 acre lake, out in the hot sun for hours and hours. I can stand the hydroturf barefoot, although it gets toasty (but not hot) but as soon as I set foot on the diamond tread, the shoes had better be on! Even with shoes, if the sun and weather are "just right", the soles will actually get really soft, like gummy, sometimes leave marks. I may put some hydroturf on top of the diamond tread one of these days. Stuff works!! And it ain't heavy.

Latest posts