Wire Wheel

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used a wire wheel for the bottom of my boat and it has been bare aluminum all summer and it has gotten wet from rain an the water numerous times and I have not seen any rust, I'm planning on giving it a coat of steelflex eventually, but I have not seen a single spec of rust.

Ok. I'm still confused :? . I'm not the expert here. I depend on all of you knowledgeable tinners to set me straight. Someone please answer the question clearly, black and white, cut and dried. I want to strip the paint from my 67 wards sea king 12' aluminum v and then buff the aluminum. What should I use to strip the paint that will NOT damage in any way, shape or form and will not cause corrosion, rust, or any other form of unwanted destruction to the aluminum on my boat? Thanks [-o<

Curious here...if the paint is that difficult to remove...why bother ? To repaint, only loose, scaling or flaking paint needs to be removed. Just seems like an awfull lot of work for nothing unless you gonba polish the plain aluminum, yet that is another story....

Hi,
I used a plain old steel wire wheel to remove the old paint I didn't worry about it because I knew there'd be multiple subsequent steps after that. Microscopic rust particles weren't on my radar. I polished everything above the water line using successive grits of sandpaper, then successive grits of clay bar compounds. No rust that I can see. The painted bottom (sanded then 2 coats rustoleum primer and Rustoleum topcoat) also shows no ill effects.
"Its not a Swiss watch"

Attachments

• 002 ALUMINUM RUNABOUT.jpg
    002 ALUMINUM RUNABOUT.jpg
    306.2 KB · Views: 1
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    361.2 KB · Views: 0
Hi,
I used a plain old steel wire wheel to remove the old paint I didn't worry about it because I knew there'd be multiple subsequent steps after that. Microscopic rust particles weren't on my radar. I polished everything above the water line using successive grits of sandpaper, then successive grits of clay bar compounds. No rust that I can see. The painted bottom (sanded then 2 coats rustoleum primer and Rustoleum topcoat) also shows no ill effects.
"Its not a Swiss watch"
I am speechless. Absolutely beautiful! You put some love and care into that boat, that's for sure....I can't even get the paint remover to work for me lol

Thanks!
I did use some stripper early on, but found the process pretty nasty.
The wire wheel did the removal, and all of the work after that was making finer and finer scratches till shiny.
If you can figure out how to use a stripper and not feel like you’re creating an ecological disaster, let me know.

Taking the boat down to bare metal with a drill and mild steel brushes. IMG_1696.JPG Think about it folks. We are talking about a 1984 boat that has been through the ropes. The aluminum is loaded with contaminants. After I get the boat to bare metal plan on washing it with a good commercial cleaner and then etching it. Total Boat sells some good stuff for this job. Yes stainless is preferred but the cost would be ridiculous.

Latest posts