Wish me luck....

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alumacraftjoe

Reaction score
I am a teacher and coach. We run a huge summer camp at school during the summer and I have always do a baseball camp. This year to offer something different I am also running a fishing camp for kids. Well I start Monday and have 10 kids signed up. Each kid gets a fishing pole and a small tackle pack. We will spend 3 days on campus learning about fishing, perfecting casting, etc. Then Thursday we head out and do some fishing. I had a great farm pond lined up, but we had major rainfall this past week and there was some kind of runoff from the fields that caused a fish kill. We will most likely head to one of the parks in Louisville and fish instead. I hope the kids have a great time and some tight lines. 9 of the 10 kids have never been fishing in their life so I hope I can hook a few of them.

I think it's really great what you're doing. Nothing like getting a kid hooked for life (on fishing of course).

Well it went great! Only one of the kids had ever caught a fish before and everybody caught at least one fish. I lucked into an awesome pond. It was very small (1 acre at the most) which was perfect for my group of ten kids. A girl going into 4th grade next year caught about a 4lb bass on the first cast of her life. We had on boy who will be in Kindergarten who did not catch a fish, but the guy who let us use the pond had the kid and his mom stay after until he caught a fish. I had a mom taking pics so when I get them I will post some. It truly was an awesome week. Here is a pic of my group:

Jun092008014_edited-1.jpg

Here we are outside practicing our casting:

Jun092008019.jpg

Great event for the kids, Joe! Something they'll always remember, and hopefully continue into their adult lives. 8) .

Ever been to Tom Wallace State Park in Louisville? Nice small water area with a neat little dock. We go there every year in December for an orienteering event, and I've always thought about taking my rod, but would be to busy with other stuff to fish.

Waterwings said:
Great event for the kids, Joe! Something they'll always remember, and hopefully continue into their adult lives. 8) .

Ever been to Tom Wallace State Park in Louisville? Nice small water area with a neat little dock. We go there every year in December for an orienteering event, and I've always thought about taking my rod, but would be to busy with other stuff to fish.

Heard of it, but haven't been there. We were actually going to use the farm pond of a former student, but they had a fish kill when there was runoff into their pond the weekend before my camp started. We were just going to go to a local park and fight the crowds and in walks this guy Monday morning. He lives about 15 miles from our school and had a grandaughter he was sending to a different camp at our school this summer. He finds me and says I meant to call as I saw your camp and wanted to offer my pond for you to use. This guy used to be a guide and has done a great job managing the pond. Needless to say it turned out better than I could have imagined. First since it was at his house there was a nice bathroom for the kids to use(very important when fishing with young kids), the place was shaded (very important when the temp was in 90's), he helped out and had chairs for all the moms who came to watch their kids. Sometimes things have a way of working out that just make you say WOW!

That's great how everything worked out! Tom Wallace park is nice, but as far as restrooms it only has porta-potties, as in...................how long can you hold your breath while in them :shock:

Jim said:
Awesome job! =D>

Where do you get the fishing supplies (rods, baits) and stuff like that?

Wal-mart had the deal for $10 you get a zebco with a takle pack. The kids were just glad to have a pole as all but one had never fished. I also bought some baits and gave them out as prizes. Beetle spins, small jigs, and they loved getting plastic worms. Most wal-marts only had one or two of the combos so I had to hit a few of them.

Latest posts