Worms Anyone?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks guys. Some interesting perspectives. Seems with all the messing around with my boats I'm finding it hard to find time to actually fish.......LOL Hopefully that'll change soon. Grandson is almost out of school and figure worms will be good for this little pond I have permission to fish in. After a few evening crawler hunts, grabbing stray squirmers while gardening, and finding 100s in my compost bin I have a crazy amount of worms in the bed. Maybe too many? If I have less than a thousand I'd be surprised!

If you've not tried the "Gulp" bait, that's the best alternative to worms that I've found. Crappies love the Gulp minnows. They also like Berkley Power Bait. Crappie nibbles are what I use for ice fishing.
I stopped using live bait years ago.

I'll give you a tip for bluegills and crappies:
if you know what a drop-shot rig is that's typically used for bass, size down the hook and maybe the sinker too, and use it for panfish. A #4 or #2 aberdeen hook and a 1/8oz to 3/16oz sinker anywhere from 6" to 12" below it, on 4lb fluorocarbon leader. The main line should be braid or monofilament so that it floats. Hi-vis braid is great cause you'll see when the bait is running away on you with a fish on it. All you need to tip the plain hook with is a Gulp minnow. I prefer the chartreuse colored ones because it attracts attention more than all the plain looking real minnows that they eat all day long. Throw that next to a weed line or weed patch and leave it slack, and your line will immediately get a tap-tap-tug if there are panfish there. Let them have it for 2-3 seconds and then just sweep up and reel in.

Interesting. Never heard of those before. Thanks for the tips!

A worm under a bobber is both super-productive, and almost hypnotizing. I think every kid should start off fishing that way.

I have several push-button combos, setup with bobbers just for visiting kids and adults who don't fish. Brings joy every time!

It's not that its not effective, the problem for some is that it's too easy, not enough challenge.

With so many good tips, I'm itching to try, I have to report that not a lot of fishing is getting done. Lake level is low, weather has been really warm and we now have two dredges on the lake sucking out even more water all with the idea to make the lake slightly deeper in some places. The entire center of the lake is off limits making the boats all pass near each other on either side. I've not done any serious fishing, but does anybody else thing the constant drone, and it is quite loud will scare the crap out of the fish? So I'm all geared up, worms and all, with no place good to go. Thought I had a little pond I could fish in but the guy who owns it decided the fish "aren't ready." Sheesh I just can't win. 4-5 years from now after the dredging is done, the fish kill is over, and the lake is restocked maybe then I can do some fishing again......

With so many good tips, I'm itching to try, I have to report that not a lot of fishing is getting done. Lake level is low, weather has been really warm and we now have two dredges on the lake sucking out even more water all with the idea to make the lake slightly deeper in some places. The entire center of the lake is off limits making the boats all pass near each other on either side. I've not done any serious fishing, but does anybody else thing the constant drone, and it is quite loud will scare the crap out of the fish? So I'm all geared up, worms and all, with no place good to go. Thought I had a little pond I could fish in but the guy who owns it decided the fish "aren't ready." Sheesh I just can't win. 4-5 years from now after the dredging is done, the fish kill is over, and the lake is restocked maybe then I can do some fishing again......
Your location says Indiana and there's only two places to fish? Of course, I'm being facetious.

You have to be willing to travel.

There aren't a lot of lakes really close to me; I drive at least 50 minutes one way to go fishing. The only close lake is 20 minutes away but it has pollution problems; some people from town fish it, but I won't.

I'm all over the Iowa DNR web site scouting places to fish. The web site has lake maps for the hundreds of lakes listed, including a coarse look at fishing structure; it's better than no information at all. Surely Indiana has a similar web site to find more places and get information about specific lakes.

That sucks...mabey time to move ?? Been there and done that !!

Well guess I shouldn't complain, I'm about a half hour or so from Lake Michigan, but not real keen on putting my little boat on the big lake. Also the nearest access point is Scary Gary. So a good hour to a decent launch spot. As for other lakes, anything worth mentioning is 1 1/2-2 hours away. My lake is a 1/4 mile away and that's where I planned to fish. It's just this constant din now that makes me feel like not going out. The dredges run 24/7 too. Used to be nice and quiet, not anymore. I'm 4th generation from this town and my lil buddy is 6th generation, so think I'm here to stay. I just wish we had some smarter people running this town.

Well guess I shouldn't complain, I'm about a half hour or so from Lake Michigan, but not real keen on putting my little boat on the big lake. Also the nearest access point is Scary Gary. So a good hour to a decent launch spot. As for other lakes, anything worth mentioning is 1 1/2-2 hours away. My lake is a 1/4 mile away and that's where I planned to fish. It's just this constant din now that makes me feel like not going out. The dredges run 24/7 too. Used to be nice and quiet, not anymore. I'm 4th generation from this town and my lil buddy is 6th generation, so think I'm here to stay. I just wish we had some smarter people running this town.
When you have poor quality people running gov't, think about those that voted them in !!

Doesn't St John's have a few places to fish?

Not if you're referring to St John, IN. There are countless small ponds in the area, but almost all privately owned. Most of the small lakes around here are also private. Even many of the creeks have almost no access as local idiots seek to keep people out. Which I don't get at all. It's not like we want to launch jet skis or something. Also doubt if many of these locals even fish.

Now that I think about it, fishermen are almost not seen anymore. Except for some misguided souls trying their luck in readily accessible areas that offer very little to attract fish. The entire reason I bought the boat was due to no access to speak of.

Now the lake is a $hit mess and is going to remain so for at least 4 years. Sad times we're in.

As for local "leaders," it's much the same as it is nationally. Scoundrels looking to better themselves with deep pockets. Rich and getting richer. Ever notice how the candidates that spend the most usually win? Ever think about who gives them all that money? Well it's not us common people, so they have no concern for us. I'm not really political either and think it's both parties that are basically full of crooks right now. OK I'ma gonna shaddap now. I seem to have derailed my own thread.

Not if you're referring to St John, IN. There are countless small ponds in the area, but almost all privately owned. Most of the small lakes around here are also private. Even many of the creeks have almost no access as local idiots seek to keep people out. Which I don't get at all. It's not like we want to launch jet skis or something. Also doubt if many of these locals even fish.

Now that I think about it, fishermen are almost not seen anymore. Except for some misguided souls trying their luck in readily accessible areas that offer very little to attract fish. The entire reason I bought the boat was due to no access to speak of.

Now the lake is a $hit mess and is going to remain so for at least 4 years. Sad times we're in.

As for local "leaders," it's much the same as it is nationally. Scoundrels looking to better themselves with deep pockets. Rich and getting richer. Ever notice how the candidates that spend the most usually win? Ever think about who gives them all that money? Well it's not us common people, so they have no concern for us. I'm not really political either and think it's both parties that are basically full of crooks right now. OK I'ma gonna shaddap now. I seem to have derailed my own thread.
Yep. St John's Indiana. Im over the border in the burbs of Chiraq and I have a couple of friends in Schererville who have mentioned St John's fer fishin. Ill have to ask them what the h they were talking about. lol

As to your last point...100% in agreement. ALL of em are crooks. In the all of the Founders wisdom, I wish they would have written term limits into the Constitution.

If you've not tried the "Gulp" bait, that's the best alternative to worms that I've found. Crappies love the Gulp minnows. They also like Berkley Power Bait. Crappie nibbles are what I use for ice fishing.
I stopped using live bait years ago.

I'll give you a tip for bluegills and crappies:
if you know what a drop-shot rig is that's typically used for bass, size down the hook and maybe the sinker too, and use it for panfish. A #4 or #2 aberdeen hook and a 1/8oz to 3/16oz sinker anywhere from 6" to 12" below it, on 4lb fluorocarbon leader. The main line should be braid or monofilament so that it floats. Hi-vis braid is great cause you'll see when the bait is running away on you with a fish on it. All you need to tip the plain hook with is a Gulp minnow. I prefer the chartreuse colored ones because it attracts attention more than all the plain looking real minnows that they eat all day long. Throw that next to a weed line or weed patch and leave it slack, and your line will immediately get a tap-tap-tug if there are panfish there. Let them have it for 2-3 seconds and then just sweep up and reel in.
CN, on the drop shot I have not tried that but when I hear it mentioned my thought is that I presume you send it to the bottom and my question is do you drop it right next to the boat or shoreline to keep the line vertical and the bait up off of the bottom? That way or cast it out horizontal and keep a tight line so to keep the bait at least up a little from the bottom?

CN, on the drop shot I have not tried that but when I hear it mentioned my thought is that I presume you send it to the bottom and my question is do you drop it right next to the boat or shoreline to keep the line vertical and the bait up off of the bottom? That way or cast it out horizontal and keep a tight line so to keep the bait at least up a little from the bottom?
The fish will hit it on the drop. If they don't, no use in leaving it sit there as the bait will slowly sink to the bottom once the sinker is on the bottom. I was fishing this way on Tuesday and really wish I had some sinkers with me that were even lighter. I will replace the 1/8oz with a tiny split shot next time out, as the crappies wanted to hit it when it was falling, but my strike window was small because it was falling too fast with the bigger weight. You can cast it out a ways or drop it next to the boat. If you cast it out, you can keep your rod tip up and slowly drag it intermittently to keep it rising and falling on the retrieve. If you keep the line tight you will miss the strikes because the fish will immediately feel it. Make sure the line is slack when it is falling. You will feel the tap of the fish even through a very slack line.

I use the drop shot quite a bit in the winter time when fishing deep water. Can use a lot of weight to get down there quick and the bait remains free/slow moving. Typical winter time fishing on our lakes consists of vertical fishing over deep brush (35-60ft) or directly in and under large shad schools at the same depth.

I'm usually after crappie and walleye, my go-to is a #4 baitholder hook and a zoom tiny fluke in shad color, but will work well with whatever you want to put on, live or artificial.

LR, not knowing the depth range you fish or the vegetation available is grabbing for straws as far as what to cast, presentation and where to cast lures or live bait. My preference is a lake that has pads, steep drops, points, various bottom hardnesses, inflow and outflow.

What to cast is what you have confidence using. Mine is light jigs with small soft plastics that catch most species of which the choices are almost infinite. I fish 6 different waters, know them like the back of my hand using a cheap Lowrance sonar to keep in touch with where my boat is and knowing whether there are any fish in the area - especially baitfish.
YP on clear Mo Magic grub.jpg kut tail on light jig bass.jpgIMG_2473.JPG

The above will catch bass, panfish and catfish, lure color of minor importance. A light action rod and spinning reel with 8# test braid allow good lure action at slow unsteady retrieves.

Boat traffic doesn't spook fish unless wakes are left in shallow water near shore. Weekdays should be free of most boats and jet skis once school starts. Fishing early and late also avoids the noise and wakes.

Hope some of this helps.

Hate to admit it, but fishing has been not happening much for me this year. Hopefully when the weather cools off I'll get into the swing of things. I can report though that the worm bed is going strong. Just added some lettuce to it the other day and it's packed full of crawlers.

LaqueRatt

Still fishing?

Last edited:

Latest posts