Xpress 1546D Makeover... -- SOLD!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took my wheels off and used a micrometer to determine the size of mine... you can take it to the parts store and they can probably tell you what size you need.

I'm new on here but have a boat similar to yours. Is there anyway I can get your contact info to talk to you about what I want to do to mine and u give me some tips??

dyeguy1212 said:
Starting to look really good. Glad to see the infamous badass drill make a reappearance lol

i have both of those drills, they are so nice i use my 1/4" almost everyday, i went ahead and bought their big brother, https://www.amazon.com/Bare-Tool-Makita-BTW450Z-Torque-Battery/dp/B0014YVA1O/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1341362845&sr=8-12&keywords=makita+impact+driver, it is a tank! it weighs about 8lbs and has so much power its insane. it will rip lug nuts off like its no problem

wow... alot more modding has been done to my boat. I have got to get some pictures and upload them..

Here are a few that I took the other day on my phone for someone to look at... not the best quality, but you get the idea.

I've got a few more things to do... and things I want to redo. But all in good time. Since my last post I think I've upgraded to an HDS 8 in the front, and added Structure Scan - this thing is no joke in showing whats under the water...

We actually just got another project boat to work on.. an 1978 Ranger V178 - to convert to electric only. That will be our next post on here I guess.

IMG-20120630-00175.jpg

IMG-20120630-00176.jpg

IMG-20120630-00177.jpg

IMG-20120630-00178.jpg

IMG-20120630-00179.jpg

shot6.png

shot5.png

shot4.png

JonBoatfever said:
Looks like you finally gave her a well earned paint job! Lets see some pictures of that when you get a chance!

I plan on eventually wrapping the boat in camo clad... but to hold me over and get rid of that factory paintjob with the reeds, I just did some light sanding and went over it with good ol black spray paint out of rattle cans. It's actually doing a lot better than I expected and has held up well in the places I fish in the 5 months it's been on there. The thing I like about it the best is if I get a bad spot or scratch, I can do a little wet sanding and just touch up with spray paint.

I'll try to get some more pictures. I'm actually thinking about redoing some of my decking. On the front deck that was extended back, the middle is one big hatch door... When I put it up, I can rest it at almost a 90* angle, but if I have it up and I'm looking down in there, that piece of wood is awful heavy when it hits me on the head if it falls. I've learned my lesson about 3 times now that that was not the way to do it... but all in good time it will be fixed.

I am so glad I looked at this project. I have two yellow side marker lights off of one of my enclosed trailers and never would have thought of using them inside the boat. Great for night fishing without as many bug issues. Nice job on this boat by the way!!! On your hatch doors some simple gas struts available at Auto Zone, etc would save a lot of frustration.

i just went through all 14 pages of your build! i love what you did with your boat! really good job! where did you get the livewell from? it looks like something out or a restaurant from the kitchen? im gonna look on ebay and see if i can find anything like it to turn into a livewell! thank you for some really great ideas.

inlovewithsurfin said:
i just went through all 14 pages of your build! i love what you did with your boat! really good job! where did you get the livewell from? it looks like something out or a restaurant from the kitchen? im gonna look on ebay and see if i can find anything like it to turn into a livewell! thank you for some really great ideas.

that livewell came from fishmate pro (no longer in business... i think) - i think one of the best livewells I've seen lately for the money is from https://www.customlivewells.com/Pages/default.aspx

Very clean build start to finish, only thing I would have done different is no carpet, but that is tomato tomato, mostly because I fish salt water is the only reason! But still awesme build, have you thought of a name for her yet?

I thinking he wants to name it "SOLD" :LOL2:

I say that knowing he got a new boat not too long ago.

Thats a sweet rig I hope one day I get lucky and find me a 16 footer dirst cheap lol I have so many ideas bouncing around in my head i want ot do lol a 14footer jsut wont hold it all.

Great build. Looks perfect for what your end result is.

Couple of questions:

What spray bomb make did you use and is it sticking well? I assume since the paint job was not a high priority to you, you didn't do a whole lot of sand and prep?

In the past, i have cut my marine plywood floor and lids out and had the local LineX guy spray them at his shop. That was about two years ago and I forget the cost (not too bad) and that was an amazing surface in the boat. He left out the grit and it worked out real nice. You had conflicting thoughts about the hydrotec, but you would recommend it?

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pics.

Scout27 said:
Great build. Looks perfect for what your end result is.

Couple of questions:

What spray bomb make did you use and is it sticking well? I assume since the paint job was not a high priority to you, you didn't do a whole lot of sand and prep?

In the past, i have cut my marine plywood floor and lids out and had the local LineX guy spray them at his shop. That was about two years ago and I forget the cost (not too bad) and that was an amazing surface in the boat. He left out the grit and it worked out real nice. You had conflicting thoughts about the hydroturf, but you would recommend it?

Thanks for taking the time to post all of the pics.

Well, the boat should be named - "stripped naked and sold"... guy who bought it didn't want any of the decking, livewell, trolling motor or anything. So I stripped it clean and sold it the next day.

The paint... well, I went cheap with this paint job. 6 cans of black spray paint - gloss (I think Rustoleum). But - I did do the prep work to make it last (and for the 2 years that I had it painted, it held up a lot better than I thought it would). I just wet sanded the whole boat, and went to town with the rattle cans. I put 2 coats on, wet sanding between each coat. The end result was a shiny black boat that you couldn't tell came from a rattle can.

The hydroturf... I loved it on the front, but it was hell on barefeet due to all the little grooves - especially if you stood in the same place the whole time. And the hot Georgia sun made it somewhat unbearable at times. That's why I carried a towel - dropped it over, soaked it and stood on it until it dried out or got too hot again. In the winter time, it was slick as glass with a little frost on it, but after a few minutes in the sun it was ok. I've been fishing out of a bass boat lately, and for comfort - I think that is the only way for ME to go. I finally found some real plush carpet and hopefully it will hold up well. The carpet that was in this Xpress was from Lowe's - and it held up amazingly well in the 3 years that I owned the boat.

The biggest surprise to me was the decking. I had that decking in there for 3 years, and left it exposed to the elements year round - hell it was even submerged a few times after some good rains. When I took the livewell out, I tried to break it in half by stomping it, and the only places that I was able to break was a 3" strip right behind the livewell. After inspection, water never penetrated the TWP stain that I used to seal the wood. I'd like to compare this to some Thompson's waterseal, but I already know what happens to wood with that crap on it after a few years due to what the previous owner of my house did before I got it. That stuff is crap and doesn't protect wood as well as an actual stain like TWP does.

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but it's a very good one! You did some fine work on both of your rigs! How did the hydroturf on the deck hold up with that spray adhesive? I am thinking about doing all of my floor in my boat just like yours.

Not sure if Russ still comes around here or not. Haven't seen him in a while.

Latest posts