Xpress 1546D Makeover... -- SOLD!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ober51 said:
That's something I'm not looking forward to doing, though by reading posts and the 12V Bible, I feel at least semi confident.

Sounds like a book I could benefit from reading

ober51 said:
bassboy1 said:
Yeah if you are looking at the boat from the back, it should be on the right, the starboard side of the stern...
Actually no.

Technically, they are supposed to be as close to the centerline as possible, and technically 3.3 feet above your bow nav lights. However, on small pleasure boats, especially those on inland waters, no one cares about whether or not it is on the centerline, so your port side light should be just fine. Also, as long as it is visible above all motors and such, not too many follow the 3.3 feet rule, here in inland waters.

I'm demanding my money back from my boating course then, lol. Oh well, thanks for that lesson though.
A boating safety course said that? That's funny, as it was the boating course I took that I learned otherwise.

well... I'm probably still going to move it to the other side - but I may not. I still need to put my antenna for my stereo up on there... I wish I would have actually looked at the radio I bought. I thought it was XM Ready, but it's not. I can add an extra subscription to mine and then I could pick up basically anything I wanted to listen to while out on the water.

I may be looking into doing that one later.

Ober - I didn't get to take but one picture tonight before the bottom fell out of the sky and I had to put my tarp (which is too freaking small) on the boat. I'll get you some pics, but since you aren't at that stage yet let me get my stuff straightened out with how it should be ran and I'll take better pics. This is how I have my front set up though for the trolling motor.

I drilled into the lip of the bow and ran 4ga cable in from the 2 batteries I have sitting behind the front deck. I've got them wired parallel, so positive goes to one battery, and negative to the other battery. Then there is one cable that connects the to batteries together (1 on pos, 1 on neg of other battery). These are 50amp bus bars that I'm using.

and wouldn't ya know it... my camera is in my stinking boat out in the rain underneath the tarp... so I guess this picture will have to wait too.

I give up - I'm going to bed... tonight is just not working out for me!

Russ, don't sweat it at all. Like you said I'm not there yet, just was wondering and trying to gain some information rather than waiting on it later. It sounds kind of simple, but like you said, pics are great.

You're really progressing on the boat, which is awesome. I think I'll have to get some LEDs from Bluewater, too.

Well the stressful few weeks of work has finally come to an end - and the audit was successful... we got satisfactory with no recommendations (highest rating you can get)... so with that, I got to fish a tourney today. A buddy of mine called earlier this week and asked if I wanted to fish with him - I can never turn down a fishing trip so I headed out this morning to Lathem (my home lake).. long story short (and no pictures.. sorry) we ended up winning with a 5 bass bag going in at 5.78 and won big fish with 1.74.. 2nd place was close at 5.75lbs. Needless to say it was a tough day. Luckily my partner got onto some big fish with 30 minutes left and we culled our 3 smallest (which were spots) and replaced them with 3 nice Largemouth.

So... I get home and do a little on the boat because of course I'm going out again in the morning. I was going to go this evening, but forgot I never wired the lights... so I temporarily wired them just so I could use them. Remember all these mods are temporary until I really get this thing laid out and done the way I want it. I got my hubs in on Friday and installed Friday night with REAL Bearing Buddies - I'll find out tomorrow if they hold out.. wish me luck.

No need to comment on these really...

DSCF1104.jpg

DSCF1105.jpg

These are my trolling motor wires... I got these studs at Bass Pro and they are way overpriced.. I think they were like $16 each. But, I needed them and none of the parts stores had what I needed. This is for a 24volt 71lb motorguide (and boy that thing moves)..

DSCF1103.jpg

And then the lights.. nothing special. I didn't put a switch on them because I'm not sure where I'm going to put that plate yet... I might still end up getting a guy to build me a livewell... so I'm waiting on that before any permanent mounts. Nothing special with these lights. The front is the one that came with the boat, I just cleaned it up and made it work. The rear I had to go to walmart and get because The base on the one that came with the boat was no good.. and the light was nasty so I just got a new one of those too - both pieces $25 at walmart... I'm waiting for BluewaterLED to get something before I buy anything else light related.

DSCF1110.jpg

DSCF1109.jpg

And here is my fishing setup (non-tournament time)... these are just pictures for you to enjoy

DSCF1115.jpg

DSCF1116.jpg

DSCF1123.jpg

DSCF1124.jpg

DSCF1125.jpg

DSCF1127.jpg

DSCF1126.jpg

Russ,

Did you put new leaf springs on too? Where did you get the hubs from?

no... I just painted the leaf springs while I had the hubs and wheels off.... I got the hub assemblies from https://www.trailerpartsdepot.com/... I couldn't get anybody to beat their price including shipping. So for $86 I have brand new everything... I think it's cheaper to do it as an assembly than it was to replace everything. The rear seals were gone on both sides too - so I wanted to take care of everything at once.

Looking good, man. What gauge wire do you use for your motors to the battery. I have 12, but will I need bigger? Its just a 12v 40 TM Minn Kota.

from my two batteries up front to those blocks I'm using 4ga wire... it says on the info that came with it to use atleast 6, but I always go overkill

For your 12v 40... I would look at atleast using 10... preferrably 8 or 6.... you don't want to burn it up and I really wouldn't use that 12. I think most motors have atleast 10 on them, but I could be wrong

russ010 said:
from my two batteries up front to those blocks I'm using 4ga wire... it says on the info that came with it to use atleast 6, but I always go overkill

For your 12v 40... I would look at atleast using 10... preferrably 8 or 6.... you don't want to burn it up and I really wouldn't use that 12. I think most motors have atleast 10 on them, but I could be wrong

****, I figured. The rest of my wiring can be done with 12 though right - front and rear lights, bilge, etc?

I'd recommend some chafe protection for thos trolling motor mains where the come in contact with the aluminum, especially at the bow. Looks like an acr flash and battery explosion down the road how it is.

Have you considered a electrical box mounted somewhere with the fuses etc somewhere.
Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
I'd recommend some chafe protection for thos trolling motor mains where the come in contact with the aluminum, especially at the bow. Looks like an acr flash and battery explosion down the road how it is.

Have you considered a electrical box mounted somewhere with the fuses etc somewhere.
Jamie

I'm going to put rubber grommets in... they just haven't gotten here yet. The pos wire does have some insulation on the side that touches, you just can't see it. I put 2 rubber washers there.

Ober - you can use 12 for your lights and bilge pump if you want... I'm using 14 for the pumps, and I'll probably use 16 for the lights

As far as an electrical box... yea, but I'm not going to do anything until I'm actually ready to mod this thing. I'm still deciding what all I want to do, so everything you see is temporary

Macgyver said:
you have a drill like I have , nice bad a$$ drill ain't it?

You can say that again... but I've got the little impact driver too - now that thing is kick ***! I have never seen something so small so powerful... and the battery life is amazing

kentuckybassman said:
So Russ...............hows the boat workin out for ya??

It's working out awesome! I fished it hard this past Sunday - 7am to 9pm.. and I drove it hard just to see how much the batteries would last. Surprisingly, this thing will outlast the 12' jon that I had.

The only thing that bothers me is how freakin hot the decks get... especially since I like to fish barefoot. I'll have to figure something out there, but for now I'm using one of Tiffany's neoprene mats that I can dunk over the side of the boat and wet then stand on that... it's comfy enough, and I just ordered a cool foot for the trolling motor pedal. I've literally have a few blisters on the bottom of my feet from the deck, carpet (at certain times) and the rear bench when I was landing fish.

I'll post some pics up later of the trip.. My internet is actually down right now, so I've hacked into the neighbors internet.. ok, I didn't hack, but it's unprotected and they should be in bed right now so if I'm slowing them down - tough. My DSL sucks and I want cable!

russ010 said:
The only thing that bothers me is how freakin hot the decks get... especially since I like to fish barefoot. I'll have to figure something out there,

hydro-turf...... :wink:

Quackrstackr said:
russ010 said:
The only thing that bothers me is how freakin hot the decks get... especially since I like to fish barefoot. I'll have to figure something out there,

hydro-turf...... :wink:

I'm actually looking into that - is there a cheap place to get it from besides directly from them? Of course, the only place I would put it is on the very front deck and maybe the rear bench unless I decide to cut it out and make storage

You're making me cringe with this barefoot stuff.

The thought of a treble hook embedding itself into the ball of my foot makes the whole barefoot fishing thing go away.
[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/Woq1FpMV8zU&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/Woq1FpMV8zU&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Save the money, visit to the doctor, and buy a $14 pair of crocs!!! :lol: