YJs 1236 Semi V Mod

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
YJ the main thing is no one was hurt, just a few damp spirits. I'm following your build, I just traded up a little Sea King 10' jon for lake fishing myself. I haven't got started on it yet, work has been very busy and too many home projects at this time. Glad you all are alright bud, and thank you for your service!

Joe

Glad your OK!!!!!.
Things like this make life fun and when your sitting around years from now you can look back and say.
Man remember that time.

i was about to ask if you had already taken the boat to the water, when i read your last post.... as you already discovered, this boats are really unstable.... i have managed to fish standing up when all by myself, but with another person, its impossible, if one is going to lean over to pick a fish, the other one must move to the other side. thats why im fabricating a set of pontoons, to help me stabilize the boat and hopefully allow me to add raised seats. i will only use the boat on a very small electric only lake, so maybe the pontoons are not a good option for you, but its something to consider, specially now that you realized how easy it is to flip over the boat.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361141#p361141 said:
fishwv » July 27th, 2014, 9:46 am[/url]"]YJ the main thing is no one was hurt, just a few damp spirits. I'm following your build, I just traded up a little Sea King 10' jon for lake fishing myself. I haven't got started on it yet, work has been very busy and too many home projects at this time. Glad you all are alright bud, and thank you for your service!

Joe

Thanks, for sure.. I did learn a few thing from the experience. Keep that boat to lakes only, Carry a small mop bucket in the boat in case of swamping again. Don't rely on zip lock freezer bags, tie the emergency paddle to the boat, just in case, Pick up some waterPROOF dry boxes for the cell phones, keys, etc. Make sure the photographic gear is in a "floating" Dry box. Find a flat bottom Jon boat for the rivers with a bigger OB motor. There's a few more things also but the list is to long for now :).

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361142#p361142 said:
PatinIdaho » July 27th, 2014, 10:16 am[/url]"]Glad your OK!!!!!.
Things like this make life fun and when your sitting around years from now you can look back and say.
Man remember that time.
Yep, they sure do. I actually had a pretty good time of it considering the possible outcome that could have been. My friend is still pretty ticked at me about loosing all his stuff, (wallet, cell phone, keys, etc), I'm pretty sore about loosing my camera and lens. It had been a great camera for the several years that I had it. But was starting to look for an upgrade camera body that would work with all my lenses. So now I just have more of an incentive in that aspect. I hate being without a camera. I still have to get a new cell phone come payday also. I look at it all this way, it was way more than 50% of our day on the river was awesome, so all in all, it was a good day. hehehe Now if I could just get Jerry to see it that way.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361147#p361147 said:
shu2kill » July 27th, 2014, 10:52 am[/url]"]i was about to ask if you had already taken the boat to the water, when i read your last post.... as you already discovered, this boats are really unstable.... i have managed to fish standing up when all by myself, but with another person, its impossible, if one is going to lean over to pick a fish, the other one must move to the other side. thats why im fabricating a set of pontoons, to help me stabilize the boat and hopefully allow me to add raised seats. i will only use the boat on a very small electric only lake, so maybe the pontoons are not a good option for you, but its something to consider, specially now that you realized how easy it is to flip over the boat.

Really. This boat flipped way to easy and in my opinion, the foam under the bench seats just isn't enough floatation. When I put the flat floor in, it WILL be supported by closed cell foam, front to back. And I'm convinced that raised seats are out of the question for this boat. I'll just add some 3/4" wood to the top of the benches, Swivel brackets, and comfortable fishing seats. And add a long handled landing net to the gear so I don't have to lean over so far.

Thank you, everyone, for your comments and thoughts. I really appreciate them.
Hey, what the heck, life is a learning experience. Might as well learn all we can while we can.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361390#p361390 said:
Y_J » 29 Jul 2014, 02:12[/url]"]
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361147#p361147 said:
shu2kill » July 27th, 2014, 10:52 am[/url]"]i was about to ask if you had already taken the boat to the water, when i read your last post.... as you already discovered, this boats are really unstable.... i have managed to fish standing up when all by myself, but with another person, its impossible, if one is going to lean over to pick a fish, the other one must move to the other side. thats why im fabricating a set of pontoons, to help me stabilize the boat and hopefully allow me to add raised seats. i will only use the boat on a very small electric only lake, so maybe the pontoons are not a good option for you, but its something to consider, specially now that you realized how easy it is to flip over the boat.

Really. This boat flipped way to easy and in my opinion, the foam under the bench seats just isn't enough floatation. When I put the flat floor in, it WILL be supported by closed cell foam, front to back. And I'm convinced that raised seats are out of the question for this boat. I'll just add some 3/4" wood to the top of the benches, Swivel brackets, and comfortable fishing seats. And add a long handled landing net to the gear so I don't have to lean over so far.

yes, they flip very easy. i would higly recommend a set of pontoons, i just finished mine today. i tested them on the local lake, and i could stand up and lean over the side, and the boat would remain stable. its so stable i think i will add raised bassboat-like seats to it.

IMG_1504_zpsba06b99b.jpg

ok course not!!

i used 6" pipe, 5 feet long per side. im thinking maybe i will add a cone shape made out of fiberglass to make ir more aerodynamic, for now i just used regular caps. they told me PVC is expensive in the US, i live in Mexico and a 10 feet tube was $20, the 4 caps were another $10.

there are a lot of ways of fixing the pontoons to the boat, we went with an adjustable system. if you need more pics or details i would be glad to provide them. i had the boat abandoned because i thought it wasnt worth the hassle, now im thinking i could even add a small deck to it. so, if this will make your boat more enjoyable for you, i will be happy to help.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361537#p361537 said:
shu2kill » July 30th, 2014, 1:37 am[/url]"]ok course not!!

i used 6" pipe, 5 feet long per side. im thinking maybe i will add a cone shape made out of fiberglass to make ir more aerodynamic, for now i just used regular caps. they told me PVC is expensive in the US, i live in Mexico and a 10 feet tube was $20, the 4 caps were another $10.
Thanks shu2kill. I'm going to look into what I might be able to do with this. I appreciate the come back on it.

hopefully you can make something like that. i just returned from the lake, we tested it with 2 people, and we were able to fish standing up without a problem. it became so stable, im drilling the benches to install the pedestal seats i have on the bassboat. at one time we were both leaning over one side, and the boat would barely lean a little bit, nothing to worry about.

Woot yeah. Right on. Thanks for the report on your test.
I was telling my fishing buddy about it today. May look kind of odd but hey, if it works .... =D>

i know it may look odd, maybe a little redneck, but if it makes the ride and the fishing more comfortable (and dry), i dont care how it looks....

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361708#p361708 said:
shu2kill » July 31st, 2014, 10:41 am[/url]"]i know it may look odd, maybe a little redneck, but if it makes the ride and the fishing more comfortable (and dry), i dont care how it looks....
Hehehehe.. That's ok.. I'm part redneck anyway. Got to go back and look at your rig again to see how ya got those pontoons connected on.. Thanks again..

ok, if you have any question just let me know. hopefully tomorrow i will finish the first stage of the boat modifications, including carpeting and some other things, i will keep my thread updated and i will post better pics of the pontoons and how everything is assembled.

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=361883#p361883 said:
SumDumGuy » August 1st, 2014, 1:51 pm[/url]"]I'm waiting for more tales of adventure..... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

:D
LOL.. Got to get back in the water again but got to get the motor running again before I can do that. She spent quit abit of time under water. Any thoughts on what to expect?

I would expect to find the thing full of water.

Drain hat sucker and fog everything real good. Hopefully you'll get a few hot days to evap around the electrical, etc.