You get gifted an old outboard...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
Talking with an old friend, he's getting old, too old to do any small boating, he's got 2 older 2S 7.5 HP outboards, one from the mid 70's (Honda) the other I never got the brand but it is certainly from the 60's. These engines have not run for close to 20 years now, however they did when stored.

He's talking about giving them away and I'm getting the hint he wants me to say I'll take them. Do I need them, no, would I like them to toy with, yes.

My question here is, if I take one or both, get it running again (I'm sure he'd give it to me running), do I use them like I would a new engine (WOT much of the time) or do I use them as a Sunday tour type of putt putt around the canals? I'd hate to break one/both and have his gift go down the drain due to lack of parts. Thoughts?

I would jump on them as I like to tinker...motors are made to be run, more problems can arise from just sitting....
I'm not a tinkerer, I don't have the time nor anything more than basic skills. The question really is, run them and run them hard or treat them as if they were to last forever?

Not abusive hard, but run them, run at idle then mid then full on, they just need to run to keep internals from corrosion and keep fuel from gumming up. Now...if you had something rare, a real collectors item, then it would sit on a stand !! Or you might find someone that likes to tinker and will give them a good home and keep them going....your call....

Talking with an old friend, he's getting old, too old to do any small boating, he's got 2 older 2S 7.5 HP outboards, one from the mid 70's (Honda) the other I never got the brand but it is certainly from the 60's. These engines have not run for close to 20 years now, however they did when stored.

He's talking about giving them away and I'm getting the hint he wants me to say I'll take them. Do I need them, no, would I like them to toy with, yes.

My question here is, if I take one or both, get it running again (I'm sure he'd give it to me running), do I use them like I would a new engine (WOT much of the time) or do I use them as a Sunday tour type of putt putt around the canals? I'd hate to break one/both and have his gift go down the drain due to lack of parts. Thoughts?

Those would certainly be worth having. I personally would change the water pump out as it could be dry rotted or stuck to the housing and change the lower unit oil. Run them easy for a while then advance to a higher speed. I have a 1970's 35hp chrysler outboard on a 14 ft Sea Nymp aluminum boat that I am restoring. Ran the motor in a barrel of water as the ear muffs will not fit it properly. It has set up for over 30 years and it runs good. I still have t re carpet the boards o the trailer otherwise she is ready for the river. Good luck on your new toys.

If you do get them, do the basic maintenance, lower end oil change, maybe a prop seal, water pump impeller and tune up. Most likely a fuel system clean up, etc.
Then run them rather gently, thru all RPM ranges, sort of like breaking in a new engine, but bot for as long
Once you're satisfied that all is well, as the stickers say: "Run them like you stole them!" They like to run rather hard, slow babying, cokes and carbons up the system.
I personally enjoy the satisfaction (and occasional annoyance and inconvenience) of using old technology, but then again I AM old technology, myself!

Been there. An elderly cousin gave me a Johnny 9.9 last summer. Call it asking for trouble if you like, but whenever I get anything old with an engine I try to start it!....LOL The 9.9 popped right over without any real attention. Pumping water, sounded pretty decent. Even after sitting for a decade. Only thing was there was a waterfall of gas coming out the side of the fuel pump. First up this year is to rebuild or replace it. Maybe with a used one if can ever find a suitable parts motor. Man, parts motors seem mighty scarce out my way.

Thanks for the tip. Is this preferable to rebuilding it? Can I maybe just make a gasket for it? It is working, just spewing gas big time out the side.

How about some pics of these old motors so we can all drool a little ?
He lives 100 miles from me, we were coworkers until he retired and he lived less then a mile from me when I had my shore house. I don't have any pics but will pull one offline to show the era if I find one. I'm not going to ask him to pull them out unless I decide to take one or both.

Hope this helps:

Last edited:

Latest posts