Is this normal amount of water from these ports?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BernieP

Reaction score
Ok short version.. does the amount of water coming from the two ports at the base of the cowling look normal?

Longer version... Got ready this spring and hooked up the muffs to check it out and it wasn't pumping water. No problem I know it's due an impeller as it's been 3 years since I got it and I haven't done it yet although the seller said it was just done before they sold it.

I ordered it and replaced it and due to life and the fact a friend got a new boat and we were taking his a lot I didn't get the lower unit mounted back until this week.
Now I put the muffs on it and it's not building any water pressure. (I installed a water pressure gauge before I ever took it out the first time) Even at high rpms. Although there is water coming out the indicator and a little out those two ports.
I do some reading and see a lot of recommendations to put it in a barrel. So I do and yay it's working fine but I never noticed this much water coming out those ports before.
Also it used to build pressure when on the muffs.
I can feel when the thermostat opens on the pee water so I'm thinking it is working fine.
I get kinda worried about stuff that could strand me in the middle of the lake. Although my trolling motor can get me back from pretty much anywhere as long as it's not blowing too hard.

When you run on muffs, it will always show better water flow from the pressure in the hose feeding the muffs !! Muffs should never be used to determine water flow, only a dunk in the lake or a large barrel.

When you run on muffs, it will always show better water flow from the pressure in the hose feeding the muffs !! Muffs should never be used to determine water flow, only a dunk in the lake or a large barrel.
Well with this motor It runs much more pressure and flow when in the barrel than on muffs.

Well with this motor It runs much more pressure and flow when in the barrel than on muffs.
Water pump impeller is doing its job and not fighting hose pressure. There are bypasses built in to control water flow and where it is directed inside these engines.

Using muffs to check water flow can be misleading due to hose pressure. Always test in a lake or large barrel for accuracy.

Your motor looks good. Stop worrying and take it out on the lake!

I'm not impressed with water pressure gauges on smaller motors. Put your thumbnail 6" in front of the pee stream. If it hits your thumb and sprays everywhere, it's good. If it hits your thumb and kind of slides around it, you need an impeller.

You just replaced your impeller. Stop worrying and take it out on the lake!

A piece of crud can mess up your pressure gauge readings. It might clear if you take it out on the lake.

So... you know what to do.

Your motor looks good. Stop worrying and take it out on the lake!

I'm not impressed with water pressure gauges on smaller motors. Put your thumbnail 6" in front of the pee stream. If it hits your thumb and sprays everywhere, it's good. If it hits your thumb and kind of slides around it, you need an impeller.

You just replaced your impeller. Stop worrying and take it out on the lake!

A piece of crud can mess up your pressure gauge readings. It might clear if you take it out on the lake.

So... you know what to do.
Lol yeah. But I stand by my pressure gauge. It saved me at least getting hot enough to set off the buzzer a time or two. Once when a bag wrapped around the lower unit and once when I ran over a hat I didn't see. But you could also probably say if I wasn't looking at the gauge I might have seen the hat 😂

Lol yeah. But I stand by my pressure gauge. It saved me at least getting hot enough to set off the buzzer a time or two. Once when a bag wrapped around the lower unit and once when I ran over a hat I didn't see. But you could also probably say if I wasn't looking at the gauge I might have seen the hat 😂

If it was a blue hat that said "I Got Worms - Bubba's Bait Shop", can I have it back.

Seems like a lot of water running through them. That said, as long as the engine temp is running the right temp, you're good.
Yeah I guess I didn't say that in my post. That's more water than i remember but I'm going to try it out.

DUH.... I forgot to answer your initial question,

But the first thing I want to mention is that it does NOT look like enough water in the test barrel. The water should ABOVE the height of the water pump itself. Its working in your vid, but the level is too low. That could cause issues.

Regarding those ports, on many Johnson/Evinrude motors, those two ports mostly release water when the thermostats open or when the poppet valves bypass the thermostats when revving. So...

1. If the engine is warmed up and is running over idle, then it may be fine.
  2. If you just started it (cold engine) and it's at idle, that is an unusual amount of water coming through those ports.

With that much overflow water, I see why it's not building up pressure. I'm a bit surprised that you can feel the water change temps from the thermostat opening and closing, as it appears that the water is bypassing the thermostat. Is the temp change slight or distinctly hotter? That could be a thermostat stuck partly open or poppet valve springs getting loose or corroded, if that model has them. I don't know that specific engine, so this is just a guess.

Either way, I strongly recommend that you first put some blocks under the barrel to get the water level at least 4" higher. Then try again. Hopefully, the water won't hit the overflow and you will get good pressure readings.

Better yet, take it on the lake and see if things behave normally.

If it still pours out like that even with a cold engine running at idle, you may want to pull the thermostat and take a look to see if it's stuck.

I hope this was more helpful. I guess my previous post was because I see so many people with issues when running in a barrel or on the hose that just go away when they put the boat in the water. Sorry!

Also, where are you tapping in for your pressure gauge feed? That makes a difference in what the gauge shows.

Is this a new engine to you, or is this a new condition?

Once again and right off the bat, we do not have enough information. Always state exactly what engine you have when requesting information on it.
What year is your engine? Been a lot of armchair quarterbacking without knowing exactly what engine we are diagnosing.
In this case the information you have been given is correct. Go run it and stop worrying about it.
Reason why I say this is because the early versions of this engine pumped quite a lot of water from the exhaust relief ports. Later engines did not.

Once again and right off the bat, we do not have enough information. Always state exactly what engine you have when requesting information on it.
What year is your engine? Been a lot of armchair quarterbacking without knowing exactly what engine we are diagnosing.
In this case the information you have been given is correct. Go run it and stop worrying about it.
Reason why I say this is because the early versions of this engine pumped quite a lot of water from the exhaust relief ports. Later engines did not.
You seem to know what engine this is, if you do, please tell us. I am assuming it is a Johnson or Evinrude in the 55-70 HP range.

You seem to know what engine this is, if you do, please tell us. I am assuming it is a Johnson or Evinrude in the 55-70 HP range.
It is the responsibility of the OP to state what engine he is asking about. You are correct on the hp range though. Also we are lucky enough to have a few guys in here that are pretty darned good at troubleshooting....would like them to start requesting this information more often before things go off track.

It is the responsibility of the OP to state what engine he is asking about. You are correct on the hp range though. Also we are lucky enough to have a few guys in here that are pretty darned good at troubleshooting....would like them to start requesting this information more often before things go off track.
I remember the model of outboard very well and unless the engine was hot and the thermostat had just opened I stand by my initial statement that the amount of water pumping out seems high, That doesn't mean it's a problem. As long as the engine is operating within normal operating temps I don't think the amount of water matters in the least.

Here's a short clip of how I remember the water coming out of a 70. When the guy revs it up a bit you get a brief clip of water spitting out the twin ports. Not spilling out as in the OP's video.

Looks like two girls peeing! There are usually one or two small holes maybe an 1/8th to 3/16” of an inch. If these small ports are missing I could see it dumping this amount of water. Maybe this motor has big ports.

I’m referring to the original OP video. Not the Crazyboat video that looks like minimal water indicator flow.

Last edited:
That's an example of where high rpm bypasses the thermostats. That engine looks okay, besides the miss at idle.

Looking forward to hearing of how the OP's motor ran on the lake...