My next boat project...An old 1959 Starcraft Constellation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DanOStarcraft

Reaction score
Hello all. Well, just added another project to the driveway. My wife loves it when I do that... I've been tinkering around with boats, both sail and power for 40 years. I've renovated and rebuilt and built from scratch a few. Hobby stuff. Just came across an old '59 Starcraft in pretty good restorable shape, so that's my upcoming project. I'm sure I'll have questions. Fiberglass and wood I'm comfortable with; aluminum not so much. The first order of business will be to remove the paint.image1 (2).jpeg

Attachments

• image2 (1).jpeg
    image2 (1).jpeg
    324 KB · Views: 0
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think this will be a fun one. Rare to find one this old that isn't trashed and that has titles. Inside the boat, under the leaves and gunk were the old mahogany seat frames. So, I have some templates to use and some aluminum trim pieces that just need some clean up and paint.

I was surprised too that the windshield was in such good shape. There is one little crack down low that I might be able to fill and patch but overall it's in very good shape for a 65 year old boat. The guy I bought it from bought it from the estate of a gentleman that passed a few years ago. He said he took it out and to his shock it didn't leak at all. Wow.

A little more research and from what I can find this was the 1959 Starcraft Super Constellation. I think the "super" part was that it was 16' instead of 14'. Seems to be a lot more rare as I can't find any pictures of this model. Even with it being the 2' longer one it's still pretty light at around 300 pounds. So much easier to move around than the '67 Glastron in the last photo.

Anyhow, looking forward to the project and refit. My additional plans are to have it be electric. I rebuilt the Glastron to be electric and have had fun working with that. The electric motor builds I have are a 6kw and a 10kw. The 6kw would push the heavy Glastron to almost 8mph and that's with a deep V hull and around 700+ pounds of just boat, so this one should move out a bit quicker. We'll see.

Always appreciate comments.

Attachments

• Video_1 (2).MOV
    3 MB
  • Video (2).MOV
    2.9 MB
Hi guys. Thanks for the replies. Yeah, I think this will be a fun one. Rare to find one this old that isn't trashed and that has titles. Inside the boat, under the leaves and gunk were the old mahogany seat frames. So, I have some templates to use and some aluminum trim pieces that just need some clean up and paint.

I was surprised too that the windshield was in such good shape. There is one little crack down low that I might be able to fill and patch but overall it's in very good shape for a 65 year old boat. The guy I bought it from bought it from the estate of a gentleman that passed a few years ago. He said he took it out and to his shock it didn't leak at all. Wow.

A little more research and from what I can find this was the 1959 Starcraft Super Constellation. I think the "super" part was that it was 16' instead of 14'. Seems to be a lot more rare as I can't find any pictures of this model. Even with it being the 2' longer one it's still pretty light at around 300 pounds. So much easier to move around than the '67 Glastron in the last photo.

Anyhow, looking forward to the project and refit. My additional plans are to have it be electric. I rebuilt the Glastron to be electric and have had fun working with that. The electric motor builds I have are a 6kw and a 10kw. The 6kw would push the heavy Glastron to almost 8mph and that's with a deep V hull and around 700+ pounds of just boat, so this one should move out a bit quicker. We'll see.

Always appreciate comments.
Please tell more about these motors you build and what you use to power them.

Please tell more about these motors you build and what you use to power them.
Hi Billy. Well, I like to tinker and a friend on our little 100 acre electric only lake renovated/refurbished a 1960 Glastron. He's an engineer, very interesting guy and built a 10kw electric motor a decade ago. He used the leg of a 1950s Johnson and mounted the electric motor up top. Then he built a bigger motor that can push his Glastron close to 30mph. I have to say it's pretty cool to go that fast with pretty much the only sounds being the wind and the wooshing of the water going by. When he built the bigger motor he loaned me his 10kw motor to play with. His bigger motor is a 96v system. The 10kw motor ran on 48v. I ran it on a couple LifePo4 batteries I bought from Amazon.

I put the 10kw on my '67 Glastron and we had some fun with it. The '67 is heavy, v hulled, and would max out at around 7 mph with it. Big wake. Ha. Still fun to goof around with. Then I wanted to build some of my own. I found an old 60s era 45hp motor with a dead block for $30 on FB Marketplace. I pulled the head and mounted a 2,000 watt ebike motor I bought on Amazon for around $150. That build would top out around 5 or 6mph. I built it just for practice and because it was cheap. It was also a 48v system.

I picked up an ePropulsion little Spirit 1.0 motor a year ago to use on a couple boats we have. I was impressed with it and modified it to use old control throttles. There are several videos on my channel with these motors. And then...I wanted to up my game and bought an ePropulsion Navy 6 which is, they say, the equivalent to a 9.9hp outboard. The video clips I attached in the prior post are of that Navy 6 pushing the heavy Glastron. And that motor, the Navy 6, is what I'm looking forward to putting on the '59 Starcraft. I've seen other vids of people using the Navy 6 on boats of similar weight to the Starcraft and going 12 to 15 mph. So we'll see.

The battery bank I use is made up of three 50v, 50 Ah batteries in parallel.

Some of the coolest things with these electrics is no noise. You can have a normal conversation with friends. And....no smoke, no vibration, no going to the gas station, no impellers or fuel pumps, or spark plugs, or carbs, or points, or winterizing, or.... Just connect it and go. There are trade offs though and it's not for everyone. They are slower than gas. They're not cheap. But they're fun.

I know this is an aluminum boat forum but here is a video I did of the Navy 6 on the '67 Glastron.

Thanks, the reason I asked is the lake right where I live is electric only. I’ve been using conventional trolling motors for more than 20 years there. I’ve seen the E-propulsion motors at a marina on display. Very pricey. If I didn’t have other gas powered boats I might consider going that route, but the cash outlay for a boat I use occasionally just doesn’t make sense for me. I thought maybe I could see what you were doing on the motor builds. I think I misunderstood you as saying you home built those motors.

I've also used trolling motors for many years as well as plenty of 2 stroke gas motors. Just started getting into the electric stuff in the last couple of years. They are pricey for off the shelf stuff.

I did build this one: