14 ft Smokercraft v-hull Project (COMPLETED-TONS OF PICS!)

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsmith3244

Reaction score
I have grown up with bass fishing and came across this website and found that people end up modifying their boats to bass boats and being a construction guy, I wanted in. I finally bought my first boat, after long hard searching on Craigslist.

1997 14' Smokercraft
1995 triumph trailer
1995 15 hp force 2 stroke motor
46 lbs. thrust motorguide bow mounted motor
24 lbs. thrust minn Kota trolling motor
4 life vests
2 oars
6 gallon gas tank

Check out my first boat! Let me know what you think!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 3,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 3,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 3,885
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 3,866
With this boat I would like to build a deck in the front by the trolling motor. Then drop down to the boat floor and create another short deck then back up by seat level for the rear deck. I would also like to have 8"-12" X 7'-8' rod lockers down the sides.

Lets hear your input!

My sketches will be posted...

That sounds pretty good to me, I'll be watching this build to see how it turns out. Will your front deck go from the bow to the front or middle bench?

I was considering removing all benches and coming from the bow back maybe 12" or so past that front seat

I tried to draw up a quick floor plan so you guys can see my ideas. Also created a quick view with my color scheme ideas.

Love to hear your input!

Attachments

• boat 3 floor plan.png
    boat 3 floor plan.png
    181.1 KB · Views: 3,804
  • boat 2 painted.jpg
    boat 2 painted.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 3,804
Would you have a raised rear seat? Just wondering with a tiller how you would go about the rear seat

Yes it is going to be a raised seat as well. But I am going to make it, so if you want to drive you can just pull the post out and drive back at deck level. That's why the middle deck drops down, that way the driver will have leg room

How wide is the boat? I think I'd go lower on the post for the front deck seat, maybe halfway between the floor and the beam. Not sure where you are, but if you can find some water, throw a piece of ply across the bow beam and stand on it, you may decide on the lower front deck. Love the open layout, you won't miss the middle seat.

Yes, sorry about the drawings it is only Microsoft paint. Haha. The deck will be at about bench seat height. So about 6"-8" below the gunnels.

Ictalurus said:
How wide is the boat? I think I'd go lower on the post for the front deck seat, maybe halfway between the floor and the beam. Not sure where you are, but if you can find some water, throw a piece of ply across the bow beam and stand on it, you may decide on the lower front deck. Love the open layout, you won't miss the middle seat.

I agree with Ictalurus. I had a Sea Nymph 146FM SC with a high cast deck and it was tippy. You might consider a lay out something like this picture, which is also a 14' Sea Nymph.

Good luck with your project!

Attachments

• 146 FM.jpg
    146 FM.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 3,728
I think you'd be fine going on top of the seats as you described, the top of the beam would be too high IMO. Deck height is always tricky, mainly due in part to our individual fishing style. I like to stand and fish and also take my 2 year old out, so I like lower decks. Best advice, if you can, take some plywood out and stand on it to see where you are most comfortable. Beautiful boat by the way, I'm sure you'll have a blast working on it.

Thanks! Ya it's going to be a fun little project. And even more fun this summer/spring!

Spring is coming. Got my battery. Box. 8 gauge wires. Poles all ready to go! Lets build!

Today I took out te old carpeting that was on the benches the previous owner installed. I also took some measurements and tried sketching a floor plan idea.

I also took off the old transom and made up another one. It is drying down stairs, will post pics when it is done!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 1,660
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 1,660
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    252.7 KB · Views: 1,660
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 1,660
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 1,660
Got my boat all ready to go out to the lake. I want to check the stability of it and see if my plan will work. Wish me luck!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 1,629
I have the paint all done, seats cut out. And I started framing. The weather is still a little chilly in MA but I painted it in a heated garage. Let me know what you think!

Latest posts