Aluminum Transom

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cathprod

Reaction score
I remember seeing some builds where in lieu of wood they build their transom using aluminum tubing. I have an 18' mod v with an 88hp and the 1.5" wood transom is shot. I would like to use aluminum tubing to replace it but am not sure how many vertical pieces I should have to make sure it is sturdy enough. I was basically envisioning having two horizontal pieces with several vertical pieces (see attached). They would all be pop-riveted with aluminum angle brackets and then I would use stainless hardware to attach the tubing frame to boat.

Any thoughts from those who have any idea how much support i need for a 280 lb on a boat built with only .75 aluminum walls. The 1.5" wood obviously did the trick, at least until it rotted.Transom.jpg

Personally I'd have it all welded together just to be safe, the transom going to be having alot of force being put on it by the motor so I think after a while the rivets would star to get some wiggle room and that could lead to some major problems. as for the dezine I haven't a clue what would be best. Good luck with it.

Latest posts