2024 Anything new for laminating a transom?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Angle, good point. Thats why I asked first. Measure twice cut once. :)

FWIW: I installed the new transom before drilling any of the holes. Many/most were on some angle. I used a smaller diameter drill to go half way thru (about 3/4"). then came from the outside to meet in the middle. Then used the right size from the outside. The drill will follow the hole. Filled holes with 5200, from caulking gun, from transom side, and pushed the bolts thru. Cleaned off the threads, and added washers and nuts,

FWIW: I installed the new transom before drilling any of the holes. Many/most were on some angle. I used a smaller diameter drill to go half way thru (about 3/4"). then came from the outside to meet in the middle. Then used the right size from the outside. The drill will follow the hole. Filled holes with 5200, from caulking gun, from transom side, and pushed the bolts thru. Cleaned off the threads, and added washers and nuts,
I was going to use a smaller drill but I like your idea better.

It looks like your cap trim may be a little too short, but I think the corner caps will catch any difference. Don't heat it too much when you are bending it into shape, especially if using MAP gas. You WILL melt the typical aluminum stock if not careful. Wear leather welding gloves, if you have them.

Good job on getting the new transom in. I've had several transoms bowed out, and it's a bit annoying. Sometimes it goes back and looks good, other times it will have a "bubbled" appearance around the fasteners. Hopefully, yours will look as good as the rest of the boat does.

It looks like your cap trim may be a little too short, but I think the corner caps will catch any difference. Don't heat it too much when you are bending it into shape, especially if using MAP gas. You WILL melt the typical aluminum stock if not careful. Wear leather welding gloves, if you have them.

Good job on getting the new transom in. I've had several transoms bowed out, and it's a bit annoying. Sometimes it goes back and looks good, other times it will have a "bubbled" appearance around the fasteners. Hopefully, yours will look as good as the rest of the boat does.
I measured to old trim cap with a cloth tape measure holding to the surface for the whole measurement. I then had the shop make it 3 inches longer. I will trim off excess when done. It should be ok. Its not centered in the picture. I just set it up there for the photo.

Do they make an adjustable drill guide that would allow me to set the angle of my transom and drill. I know about corner pocket jigs but they are fixed. Handy little tools.

Measure to the top of the hole on the inside and knee brace 1.269 and from the top of the hole on the outside 1.329. So its not much of an angle but its there.

Last edited:
Yes, they make drill guides. Cheap on Ebay or Amazon.

Nice looking dog!

We had a puppy who thought chickens were toys. She got 2-3 of them before breaking her. She's a year and a half old now, and we still don't quite trust her. Sometimes, she will watch the birds, and her body language tells what she really wants to do. I'll say, "HEY!" and she will immediately look away. She knows, but with some dogs, it's just in them.

A couple snaps of the trim before I install it. Total cost was $130. There are some light tool marks on it I might have to sand out but I am good with how they turned out. He made them twice as thick at originals which were too thin.img1.jpgimg2.jpg

I measured to old trim cap with a cloth tape measure holding to the surface for the whole measurement. I then had the shop make it 3 inches longer. I will trim off excess when done. It should be ok. Its not centered in the picture. I just set it up there for the photo.

Do they make an adjustable drill guide that would allow me to set the angle of my transom and drill. I know about corner pocket jigs but they are fixed. Handy little tools.

Measure to the top of the hole on the inside and knee brace 1.269 and from the top of the hole on the outside 1.329. So its not much of an angle but its there.

I have what is probably an annoying habit of asking questions when I don't understand something. This probably falls in that category. :) Would not the angle of the hole be 90 degrees to the transom regardless of the transom angle?

I have what is probably an annoying habit of asking questions when I don't understand something. This probably falls in that category. :) Would not the angle of the hole be 90 degrees to the transom regardless of the transom angle?
First one I have done, maybe someone with more transoms under their belt can answer that.

Yes, ideally, but they are often drilled wonky, even from the factory.