• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate toTinBoats.net and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

WTB 1556 or 16' with 20" transom rated for 50hp

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onthewater102

Reaction score
I'm in no rush - contemplating buying one new a few years down the line - but I recently picked up a near mint 1971 Evinrude 50hp 50173 with all the controls, steering, cables etc. for $50 and I've got a trailer that a neighbor was getting rid of when cleaning out their barn so I'm really just looking for the hull. Were I to buy something new I'd be going with the lightest configuration possible, but if I can get my hands on a second hand rig and work it up to what I'm looking for then I don't mind another project boat.

I live in CT and drive a long way to work, so I'm trying to find a larger setup that can still be towed with my Subaru (35mpg / 2400lb towing capacity) rather than have to keep the Blazer I've got for towing the fiberglass boat I've got now. I love the Tracker Tournament 1800TF, but it's too heavy for the Subaru and the 150hp blackmax motor is just an absolute pig on gas. Since putting my 14' boat together I've used less gas on the water this entire summer than I used in one full day of fishing on the full size boat.