How many of you enjoy a "Beater Boat?"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This reminds me of an old SNL bit where a brand-new car on the outside was a real pos but the interior was very high end.
It kept the criminals from messing with it.

This reminds me of an old SNL bit where a brand-new car on the outside was a real pos but the interior was very high end.
It kept the criminals from messing with it.
That has a place in some areas. A customer just had his stuff stolen at a gas station on the way to my place. Disgusting!

You don't want it to look like a junker, but I'm not the kind of guy to keep his sneakers looking shoebox new. I play the game so mud, muck and dings are a part of it.
When I bought my Princecraft, it was really beat up, but was solid, roomy and didn't leak a drop.

I initially intended to clean it up, sand it and paint it, but there were SO many dents and dings, I decided that it looked better as-is. Add some shiny paint, and it would look worse. Better to be an indistinct metal gray.

I can relate to all boats....older, well used, show pieces, and beaters. I purchased my first new boat, a Pro Line 22 WAC back in 1998. Great boat and fished saltwater for several years. All other boats (except for my current new one) were 10-30 years old, but well maintained.

Owned 10-15 sailboats between 1980 and 2013 of all types...Cat Rigged Ketch, Sloops, dinghies, and one racing boat. Lenghts of 8'-35'. Lived on the 35' custom built sloop that I purchased from an aeronautical engineer that hand built it from keel to stepping the mast. Teak decks, varnished spars, Volvo diesel, just a very classic and beautiful sailboat. Spent many of days varnishing and keeping her mint!

My well used 13' whaler was fun all of the time! Jump in and GO! Kept in water behind my sailboat, and was always ready to go. Bottom cleaned, and maintained mechanically with safety equipment and running gear. Not the prettiest whaler, but in good shape.

I would say I had the most enjoyment with the well used, but well kept boats, sail and power. I never allow my stuff to be junk/beater level....I am always looking to improve.

Now, at retirement I have a new '23 boat and a new '23 truck. Saved for these toys for several years. I wanted new as my last truck was 20 years old and was eventually going to need reopairs that I did not want to tackle. My new boat...I wanted a side console boat that was beamier, with under deck fuel tank, rod storage, and capable of a larger (60hp) motor.

Yes, I find myself wanting to keep my boats, trucks, toys, etc in MINT condition for as long as I can. But, they'll eventually get scratched, dented, dinged, etc. I'll have to learn to live with that, and that will be difficult with my OCD!!! But, they'll be my dings and dents...with memories to go along each one!

At my older age of 60, I want to enjoy things more and not worry so much about being in MINT condition. I'll leave the MINT stuff to classic cars and show boats. For me, now, practical, simple, and clean is preferred.

Basically, get what you want and enjoy it to the fullest...life is short!

Beaters all the way. I fix other peoples stuff all week so the last thing I want to do is spend a bunch of time after work maintaining toys. I bought a 14R on a galvanized trailer and found an old Montgomery Wards Johnson 9HP two stroke. I have a grand wrapped up in the whole package. If any of them need replaced, I'll junk 'em and get another. I hardly even drive my full custom '52 chevy because I have to wash and polish and do all that every time I want to take it out. Hose the boat down, flush the motor and park it. I'm not really into deep water or island fishing so this little beater is perfect for the bays and harbors and breakwalls and inshore kelp. My friends have big boats so If I get the itch to tag along then I can pay for gas and they can do the rest.

All depends on your definition of a beater! To some folks, a scratch or two might mean it is beaten up where others could mean it barely floats and runs. I don't spit shine my stuff but, I do all the regular maintenence and upkeep. I do keep trash picked up and not covering the bottom of my boat. I still have the God awfully carpet so I do use old towels to put my bloody/ slime fish on rather than messing up the carpet or in many cases, use the splash well for the fish as it is easily cleaned. If blood and guts get on the carpet, I clean it right away with a wet rag. On the painted outside, I do wash the sun off a couple times a year and just before putting it to bed at seasons end. But...I have friends the clean and polish after every outing, sweep there carpet, clean the windshield etc so it looks showroom ready. So...does that mean my boat is a beater??

I don't know if I'd call mine a "beater" per se but I fish it hard and fill it with blood that's for sure. It's pretty nice but it's almost 20 years old now and I don't exactly baby it. I have bumpers for the dock but I sure don't use them often. It's a tool when it comes down to it.

That is the question, isn't it? What qualifies as a beater boat? I guess that depends on the person.

I would say a beater boat is a boat that you just use, without ooh-ing and aah-ing over the slightest bit of slime or blood that gets in it.

This doesn't mean you don't rinse it off or wipe it down. It just means you USE the boat as intended without being obsessed with keeping it perfect. Wipe/spray down when you are done. It will come out.

I've enjoyed reading all the stories.
Until recently, all my boats have been home built plywood. Lightweight, shallow draft. Could take them anywhere and not worry. Well, the wife decided we needed something better, so we ended up with a 1987 Mirrocraft 14' with a troublesome 25 hp. Still better that many of the new boats. I don't worry about obstacles in the water, just other idiots in their fancy new powerboats that I wouldn't trust with a rowboat.

I've enjoyed reading all the stories.
Until recently, all my boats have been home built plywood. Lightweight, shallow draft. Could take them anywhere and not worry. Well, the wife decided we needed something better, so we ended up with a 1987 Mirrocraft 14' with a troublesome 25 hp. Still better that many of the new boats. I don't worry about obstacles in the water, just other idiots in their fancy new powerboats that I wouldn't trust with a rowboat.

During COVID a lot of people moved to RVs and boating as a way to spend time during the travel bans. Most new to boating recognize their inexperience. Only takes a few knuckleheads to raise my blood pressure. Good thing I"m retired and could avoid weekends at the lakes.