10 HP restriction lakes?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazyboat

TinBoats Supporter
Reaction score
It's easy to see how officials on a lake can monitor out board use with the 10 HP restriction. However, and I know I'm nit picking here, but if you had an inboard jet with no markings on it, how do they verify the power or do they have the right to dismiss you out of hand? Mind you, I have no intention of doing anything funny, but I like the mental game playing. Also, if you had a 15 JET it would be equivalent to a 10 HP prop, is that acceptable?

It's easy to see how officials on a lake can monitor out board use with the 10 HP restriction. However, and I know I'm nit picking here, but if you had an inboard jet with no markings on it, how do they verify the power or do they have the right to dismiss you out of hand? Mind you, I have no intention of doing anything funny, but I like the mental game playing. Also, if you had a 15 JET it would be equivalent to a 10 HP prop, is that acceptable?
Not sure how they would or could check an inboard jet. Read the actual law or rule. You also need to read the governing bodies definitions of words to know what they really mean. I got my town to change an ordinance that outlawed having a utility trailer on your driveway during winter. I showed them that it was unenforceable. I'm slowly picking apart the rest of the trailer parking ordinance. You can't have a boat trailer on the driveway in winter or a snowmobile trailer on the driveway in summer.

Not sure how they would or could check an inboard jet. Read the actual law or rule. You also need to read the governing bodies definitions of words to know what they really mean. I got my town to change an ordinance that outlawed having a utility trailer on your driveway during winter. I showed them that it was unenforceable. I'm slowly picking apart the rest of the trailer parking ordinance. You can't have a boat trailer on the driveway in winter or a snowmobile trailer on the driveway in summer.
There are so many unconstitutional laws it's ridiculous, I don't boat on lakes, but if I did I would challenge via proper channels all these "rules" they claim are real "laws".

The Supreme Court has held that Conservation Officers can search properties without a warrant looking for violations of game laws. That's why they can demand to search freezers and coolers with no warrant and can enter dwellings to conduct those searches. Some states have restricted that authority within their respective boundaries.

It wouldn't be a far stretch to see how they might apply that to other DNR-related restrictions such as boating restrictions like HP ratings on boats.

Personally, I think HP restrictions are dumb. What does that accomplish? What's the difference if a boat is traveling across the lake at no-wake speed with a 5 HP motor or a 225 HP motor? Here in Iowa, many lakes are restricted to electric-only, no-wake restrictions, or a specific maximum speed (often it's 5 mph). I'm not aware of any that are restricted by HP ratings on motors.

In Algonquin? I always thought Algonquin was pretty wooded and semi-rural. Sheesh, they must be hard up for cash.

In Algonquin? I always thought Algonquin was pretty wooded and semi-rural. Sheesh, they must be hard up for cash.
I need to change my location to Lake in the hills. It's the next town over. We share the fire department.
In Algonquin you can have your boat in your driveway year-round but are limited to 2 trailers.
If you put a trailer on a trailer it becomes cargo and there is no limit on that. I kept my boat and trailer on my car hauler and had my utility trailer too.

The Algonquin area has changed a lot sinced I moved here in 2006. My brothers moved here years before me. Randell road only had a few businesses on it then.

There are so many unconstitutional laws it's ridiculous, I don't boat on lakes, but if I did I would challenge via proper channels all these "rules" they claim are real "laws".
Read up on gun law, and in particular, the challenge to the BATFE about their "laws". Many of them are actually "rules", that carry the weight of law, but Congress never had a finger, let alone a hand, in the making of them. I don't think that the Supreme Court has decided if it'll see the case, but the challenge is out there. Unless state or federal law specifically gives an agency powers to make laws, the rules they enforce are illegal. Your state's legislature is the law-making body, not some letter agency that's supposed to be limited to enforcing the law(s).

Roger,..... the internet lawyer. 😁

P.S.; Ooops! I got really close to political speech. My apologies to all.

When I use local toll bridges towing my little tin boat, I pay as if I am multi-ton commercial vehicle because the toll is based on axle counts. I asked the local agency in charge of bridges about this. They outright agree that it is incredibly unfair but their hands are tied because our state legislature passed a law saying the tolls had to be based on axle counts. The bridge authority suggested I contact my state legislators. So, I contacted my legislators and asked them what they thought. So far crickets. I'm not surprised as revenue is going to take precedence over fairness.

When I use local toll bridges towing my little tin boat, I pay as if I am multi-ton commercial vehicle because the toll is based on axle counts. I asked the local agency in charge of bridges about this. They outright agree that it is incredibly unfair but their hands are tied because our state legislature passed a law saying the tolls had to be based on axle counts. The bridge authority suggested I contact my state legislators. So, I contacted my legislators and asked them what they thought. So far crickets. I'm not surprised as revenue is going to take precedence over fairness.
So your driver car/truck has 2 axles, the tins trailer has 1 axle, no? so 3 axle's total, how.....oh, I see what you did there, multi ton, so 2 ton or more...

So your driver car/truck has 2 axles, the tins trailer has 1 axle, no? so 3 axle's total, how.....oh, I see what you did there, multi ton, so 2 ton or more...

I didn't say it very well. My point is driving a private passenger vehicle & light single axle trailer I pay the same toll ($17.00) as a 40,000# commercial truck. The bridge authority considers it unfair because wear and tear on the bridge roadway is going to be more dependent on weight than an axle count. But, it cannot be changed unless legislators change the law.

The Supreme Court has held that Conservation Officers can search properties without a warrant looking for violations of game laws. That's why they can demand to search freezers and coolers with no warrant and can enter dwellings to conduct those searches. Some states have restricted that authority within their respective boundaries.

It wouldn't be a far stretch to see how they might apply that to other DNR-related restrictions such as boating restrictions like HP ratings on boats.

Personally, I think HP restrictions are dumb. What does that accomplish? What's the difference if a boat is traveling across the lake at no-wake speed with a 5 HP motor or a 225 HP motor? Here in Iowa, many lakes are restricted to electric-only, no-wake restrictions, or a specific maximum speed (often it's 5 mph). I'm not aware of any that are restricted by HP ratings on motors.
One of the lakes I fish very often is HP restricted. It was 10HP for a long time and about ten years ago was upped to 25. The lake is only 1800 acres. I have absolutely no problem with the HP restriction. The fishing is very good. I fished many years there with my big motor tilted up using my T-motor only and did fine. I also used a 5HP kicker for a while. If they allowed unlimited HP with a speed restriction you'd have the guys that don’t care in going 50MPH or more all the time. For what? No reason for it on a lake that size. The HP restriction makes sense in this case. Most are in agreement, but you do have those that cry about it. Plenty of water around where you can run anything.

I also fish a 1000 acre reservoir that’s electric motor only. Controlled by Aqua Pa. The governing body that insures a reliable source of fresh water in an emergency. Many restrictions are in place. I just keep a boat there all summer.

I need to change my location to Lake in the hills. It's the next town over. We share the fire department.
In Algonquin you can have your boat in your driveway year-round but are limited to 2 trailers.
If you put a trailer on a trailer it becomes cargo and there is no limit on that. I kept my boat and trailer on my car hauler and had my utility trailer too.
Man o man. Urban sprawl (and the bs rules/laws that go along with it) has even gotten to the Chain. Gawd I hate this state. Born and bred in IL (Lombard/Addison area) and I can't wait to get the h*** out.

One of the lakes I fish very often is HP restricted. It was 10HP for a long time and about ten years ago was upped to 25. The lake is only 1800 acres. I have absolutely no problem with the HP restriction. The fishing is very good. I fished many years there with my big motor tilted up using my T-motor only and did fine. I also used a 5HP kicker for a while. If they allowed unlimited HP with a speed restriction you'd have the guys that don’t care in going 50MPH or more all the time. For what? No reason for it on a lake that size. The HP restriction makes sense in this case. Most are in agreement, but you do have those that cry about it. Plenty of water around where you can run anything.

I also fish a 1000 acre reservoir that’s electric motor only. Controlled by Aqua Pa. The governing body that insures a reliable source of fresh water in an emergency. Many restrictions are in place. I just keep a boat there all summer.

It all boils down to enforcement. I don't see the no-wake restrictions or speed limits as being any easier or harder to enforce than HP restrictions. If the DNR agent or lake patrol is going to stand there looking for excessive HP motors, then the agent can stand there and look at wakes or speed and act on that as well.

It all boils down to enforcement. I don't see the no-wake restrictions or speed limits as being any easier or harder to enforce than HP restrictions. If the DNR agent or lake patrol is going to stand there looking for excessive HP motors, then the agent can stand there and look at wakes or speed and act on that as well.

One lake I used to go to all the time has a 5mph speed limit 200' from shorelines. No one adheres to it and I think it is actually a silly rule except where there are shoreline campgrounds. It is one of those places that are like a zoo on weekends & holidays with all the recreational boaters. Who knows, maybe it is patrolled on weekends/holidays. I went on one holiday and won't do it again. During the week is it almost like my private lake.