10ft Ouachita

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks inlovewithsurfin, I think I will be painting it soon! I have a question about the deck. I think what I want to do to it is use a spray Bedliner on it. I think I read on someone's build thread that they have it in a rattle can at autozone for around 10. Would yal still use Thompson water sealant?

JRyno10 said:
Thanks inlovewithsurfin, I think I will be painting it soon! I have a question about the deck. I think what I want to do to it is use a spray Bedliner on it. I think I read on someone's build thread that they have it in a rattle can at autozone for around 10. Would yal still use Thompson water sealant?

the thompson water sealant isnt an actual sealant... its more of a repellant? there is some marine grade sealants out there but they can be pricey. i havent used the spray can bed liner yet but i have thought about it and still may one day?

Just ran out of paint, but its almost done!
photo2-1.jpg

Thanks! I made the removable casting deck today and started painting it but was quickly rained out. There are a few things I need to do still.
1 - Navigation Lights, I have not decided whether or not to use the removable ones like these: https://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-Portable-Navigation-Light-Kit/19767369 or Mounitng some that would run off the trolling motor batteries? Any opinions on them?
2 - Fix the cosmetic problems with the cruise N carry
3 - buy the TM batteries and wire it - Any advise on where or what brand to get for a 24v TM
4- registration

Here are some pics!

photo5-1.jpg

photo3-1.jpg

photo4-1.jpg

Not the best platform but I didnt have to go buy any of the materials..

i like the platform! heres my suggestion on it though... just move the back 2x4 a little more forward and allow the platform to sit level with the bench seat and it will also stop it from sliding backwards... just an idea? :)

To my surprise the deck doesnt slide at all. I thought it might a little bit but it doesnt, thats because the front "bench" is slightly slanted for whatever reason. I did get to go out on my first trip tonight and caught a few trout. Didnt do too much fishing more of just cruising around and getting comfortable with the boat. I am also surprised how stable it is, i figured the platform would be a little bit tippy, but it wasnt bad at all! I need to get battery boxes for the batteries, Nav lights and mount the rod holders i got. I think I also will move the batteries around a little bit and put a plywood floor between the back and middle bench.

here is a pic from tonight!
photo6.jpg

Going out first thing in the morning to look for reds, hopefully i will run into the big jack crevalle schools!

Well putting around with a trolling motor was fun in all at first but I was limited to where I could fish. I had been looking for smaller outboards for probably two weeks on craigslist and I found what I believe was a good deal. So today I went and picked it up my "new" 1968 Evinrude 6hp for 175$. We ran it a bit and it seems to be in good condition. It didnt come with a fuel line nor the tank so I also went to walmart to get those, they were alot more than I expected but you have to have them! I am going to try to get out and run it around for a little bit before it gets dark, hope all goes well!

The 6hp is working alright for me, so I went ahead and rotated the head on my trolling motor - then built a bow mount onto my deck. I like the way it turned out and it works pretty well!

photo15.jpg

I just purchased a nearly identical 10ft Ouachita. The guy I got it from sold it to me with a pretty old Minn Kota trolling motor. Do you guys think a 28lb thrust motor is alright for a boat like this? I want to get an idea before I go out and buy a battery and charger. This is my first post so not sure if the pics will be links or in the body of the message.

If it would work, what type of battery/charger would you recommend?

Thanks!

Attachments

• Boat.jpg
    Boat.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 560
  • Motor.jpg
    Motor.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 560
I have a 28lb Minn Kota for my 10ft Alumacraft. It won't get you anywhere very fast, but it works great for trolling around a lake.
I put my battery at the bow to move some weight forward.

I use a Scumacher charger and a deep cycle Group 24 battery. My battery is from a local battery store, but lots of guys I know use Costco deep cycle batteries.

I appreciate the feedback. I've been doing a little research on batteries and can't decide between spending extra money on a AGM battery versus a wet cell. Would you recommend one over the other? From what I'm gathering, a well kept battery will last just as well as another type. Any thoughts? Also, is the schumacher a 'smart' charger that shuts off after fully charging?

I personally don't see a benefit on an AGM for a small electric trolling motor as far as the cost goes, but then again I'm a cheap Scotsman :D and yes the Schumacher is a smart charger that will not overcharge your battery.

I think my charger cost $70cdn so I guess you could pick one up for $40-50usd

Perfect. I'm also cheap so I'm going with the wet cell. $50-$70 is about what I've seen for the automatic chargers so I'll go with that.

Do you have any experience painting aluminum boats? Mine is 98% covered with paint. I'm planning to power wash, use scotch brite pads to scour down the old paint, then go over with a couple coats of Rust-oleum. There are spots of bare aluminum. Is it worth it to use primer on these spots or will the rust-oleum hold onto the bare aluminum?

Latest posts