12-27 Etowah River

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bassboy1

TinBoats Sponsor
Reaction score
Been having cabin fever, since I have been unable to fish since the after Thanksgiving tourney I fished with Russ010, so I managed to make it out to the river today, in the 3 mile section between Allatoona dam, and the little spillover dam further down. Put in at about 8:15 or so, and fished a shakeyhead and spinnerbait for a while (just itching to try out my new spinnerbait rod). No takers. Went to a 1/4 ounce Spanky's jig, and back to the ramp, to start back down. No takers on the shoreline, but I did manage this guy below a laydown right in the middle, at about 11:05.
12-27riverbass.jpg

It was actually my first jig fish, so I am glad there, as that was a weak spot for me, and the jig is probably the most versatile lure made. Not long after that, my trolling motor quit, so I called it a day at about 11:30 or so.

Nice fish! Looks like a real chunker. Sorry to hear about the trolling motor. Congrats on your first jig fish, I have yet to catch one myself. I had a bite on a jig at the river yesterday butcouldn't get the hook into him.

Got the trolling motor fixed. I originally thought it was the switch on the side that switches between momentary, continuous, and off. However, upon digging into it, I found that it was a loose male end of one spade terminal on the switch, and a broken female spade terminal on the wire leading to a different spade on the switch. The loose one was on the continuous side, which I never use, and I put a new female spade connecter on the wire leading to the momentary. Apparently, age had worn them out, and it finally vibrated apart while running down the river.

Didn't throw it that much due to the composition of the river (kept pulling in dead river grass), but it definitely casts it well. I had it paired with a BPS extreme, which is not the greatest caster, I could consistently get it where I wanted it. I had a 1/2 ounce tied on there (which really weighs .7 ounces #-o ). The only other true spinnerbait rod I had ever used was a Daiwa LT with a Fuego on it, which retails for about 40 bucks more. This did seem comparable to it, so far, but I still need to try it on the main lake, where I can really use it a bit (and maybe catch one on it - they seem to be biting spinnerbaits on the main lake).

I had the Viento I got for Christmas on my other rod, which is a worm/light jig rod itself, so I threw the shakeyhead a bit more, and that is the only reason I bothered to tie on the jig - to test out the reel. By golly, that Viento is a world of difference over that BPS. I had used them before, for worm and jig applications, but I apparently didn't like the rods that my buddy had them on. It does do a lot nicer on my Avid, than the (I think Daiwa LTs) he had them on.

I tried that Viento on the Powell Max after you did too... I hated it with that CXX. Switched it over to Fluoro and it still sucked. The only thing it really casts well on that setup is 30# stren super braid.

Good Job on the LM with the jig. I've caught more fish on that setup lately than shakey heads...

russ010 said:
I tried that Viento on the Powell Max after you did too... I hated it with that CXX.
I wasn't real crazy about the Powell Max your Viento was on, but I didn't use it much that day, as the righty reel about killed me, especially for the slow jig technique. The place I first learned to like the Viento's was with the British guy with the 18 foot Ranger that I have fished all of the Allatoonabass.com tourneys with. He has at least 3 of them, all lefties, and whatever his jig rod was (I think it was an LT) was horrible. I can cast light baits a mile with that reel on my Avid. Makes an excellent shakeyhead/light jig rod.

Latest posts