12 Foot V-Hull Storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Morning everyone,

I recently purchased an 12 foot aluminum V-Hull.

I don't have a trailer for it so I am wondering what the best way to store it is?

I will be storing it throughout Fall Winter and Spring.

My thoughts are to flip it upside down on top of some 55 gallon barrels.

Anyone have a better idea? Or am I completely out to lunch on this one ?

Thanks

Turning it upside down is your best bet !! What you put it on, that is your call, be it drums, saw horses or just old tires makes no real difference. Be aware of wind...in case of a storm the wind can get under them and send them flying. Either store in a protected area or create some straps with anchors to keep it in place. In my youth I had a 12' jon boat turned upside down over the winter with some heavy duty stakes into the ground with a couple straps over the hull....it never moved.

I have read a few people mention about squirrels and wasps building nests underneath the boat when left for long periods. Has anyone experienced this, is there a way to minimize this?

Also, because of the long storage period. Should I throw a tarp over it as well, or dont even worry about it?

Thanks for the replies!

Wont be any wasps in the winter, things like a bag of moth balls if you have ground squirels. Why bother with a tarp, when upside down everything will run off..my only concern is wind storms and blowing away a small aluminum boat.
Going to strap it down with some rope and some tent stakes.
Hopefully that'll do the trick.

I guess as I have gotten older and less buddies around to fish with and help haul boat back and forth flippin and all gettin on & off trailer, I choose to leave it on takes up less space and on my jon & same thing on my v-hull / I have a 12 ft. 2x4 wrapped in rug and use a "heavy tarp w/ bungies "all works perfect lay 2x4 atop of folded seat length ways with a bungie wrapped around each end fit to seat to hold 2x4 in place throw tarp over attach straps under got your self-a boat-tent. ""Everything slide's right off""! end's fold closed and bungie's hook' on frame of trailer. Good thing about this is a Good Quality Tarp you can store a bit of gear in boat as well. Don't get me wrong I use to do the flippin on sawhorse's, and dealt with the blow over's & used the rope's/ strap's with cement block and stakes/ etc. V-hull too heavy to flip with built in floor & 25 hp. merc on it so it's got a fitted cover and another heavy duty I put makes me feel happy,& again bungies and nity nite till spring. Alot of writin maybe but 15 min. of prep. and I think you may be happy this way too! esp. if your limited on space and storage! oh! if not like moth ball smell a few softner sheets from laundry room does trick too critter's dont like the smell put em in your shed's car's etc' will keep them out, change em over every now and again.
I am not on here much but folk's here have helped me a time or two maybe i can help one or two?

I guess as I have gotten older and less buddies around to fish with and help haul boat back and forth flippin and all gettin on & off trailer, I choose to leave it on takes up less space and on my jon & same thing on my v-hull / I have a 12 ft. 2x4 wrapped in rug and use a "heavy tarp w/ bungies "all works perfect lay 2x4 atop of folded seat length ways with a bungie wrapped around each end fit to seat to hold 2x4 in place throw tarp over attach straps under got your self-a boat-tent. ""Everything slide's right off""! end's fold closed and bungie's hook' on frame of trailer. Good thing about this is a Good Quality Tarp you can store a bit of gear in boat as well. Don't get me wrong I use to do the flippin on sawhorse's, and dealt with the blow over's & used the rope's/ strap's with cement block and stakes/ etc. V-hull too heavy to flip with built in floor & 25 hp. merc on it so it's got a fitted cover and another heavy duty I put makes me feel happy,& again bungies and nity nite till spring. Alot of writin maybe but 15 min. of prep. and I think you may be happy this way too! esp. if your limited on space and storage! oh! if not like moth ball smell a few softner sheets from laundry room does trick too critter's dont like the smell put em in your shed's car's etc' will keep them out, change em over every now and again.
I am not on here much but folk's here have helped me a time or two maybe i can help one or two?
Great suggestions!

Upside down.. just use whatever you have to block it up enough so it doesn't freeze to the ground. It won't blow away unless it's in the middle of a field during a hurricane. Don't over think it. Around here, there are hundreds of boats left at remote lakes all upside down with no issues.

I've stored our 14' Fishmaster upside down for years. It sits mostly on an old flat uti;ty trailer. Rodents will be an issue right side or upside down. They love the warmth that chewing tunnels in the bench seats, provdes. Lots of mothballs or your favorite deterent.

Morning everyone,

I recently purchased an 12 foot aluminum V-Hull.

I don't have a trailer for it so I am wondering what the best way to store it is?

I will be storing it throughout Fall Winter and Spring.

My thoughts are to flip it upside down on top of some 55 gallon barrels.

Anyone have a better idea? Or am I completely out to lunch on this one ?

Thanks
Howz that homemade 20 dollar rack for your purpose?

Attachments

• IMG_1546.jpg
    IMG_1546.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_1547 - Edited.jpg
    IMG_1547 - Edited.jpg
    255.1 KB · Views: 1
I flipped my Alumacraft over last winter and it gets pretty windy here at times! Never gave a thought to it blowing away. I'm thinking it would take a hurricane maybe. Even so I don't think the wind would hurt it either. Guess the real concern would be it blowing up against your house or car. I stuck 3 small fireplace logs underneath to keep it off the ground.

We have varmints galore, but what do I care if the raccoons want to hide underneath it in the dead of winter? Most of the critters hibernate in the winter anyhow. I guess if you live somewhere warm this might be an issue, but they can't really hurt anything so no worries.

Upside down.. just use whatever you have to block it up enough so it doesn't freeze to the ground. It won't blow away unless it's in the middle of a field during a hurricane. Don't over think it. Around here, there are hundreds of boats left at remote lakes all upside down with no issues.
Hey Gypsy, your right to a degree closer to ground less chance of blow over, but with the deal of boats left around lake at winter I am sure there between trees wind whip's up pretty good going across lake when frozen over, and if you check I don't know around by you but around by me 98.9% has a chain & lock attached to it!
Tis better be safe than sorry! sad thing to say but in today's world it's not like when our grandparents were starting out.

Last edited:
OH! Speaking of blow over's, I live in the Catskill Mnts. of NYS / & who would think of an "EF2" touching down in the Mountains and having a feild day ! So personally hate to disagree but it pays to over think a touch , esp. if you care about your boat & what may happen to it . Heck ive seen boats blown upinto tree's & to where a pine branch was driven through hull & you'd be surprised what a 40-50 gust of wind can do to if it gets underneath. This touched down about a mile from my home for less than 4 minutes first pic & 2nd pic is what it left/ EF2.jpg Check it out Roscoe, NY / folk's still cleaning up from it.

Attachments

• EF22.png
    EF22.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
OH! Speaking of blow over's, I live in the Catskill Mnts. of NYS / & who would think of an "EF2" touching down in the Mountains and having a feild day ! So personally hate to disagree but it pays to over think a touch , esp. if you care about your boat & what may happen to it . Heck ive seen boats blown upinto tree's & to where a pine branch was driven through hull & you'd be surprised what a 40-50 gust of wind can do to if it gets underneath. This touched down about a mile from my home for less than 4 minutes first pic & 2nd pic is what it left/ View attachment 115952 Check it out Roscoe, NY / folk's still cleaning up from it.
These are ODD times we are living in nowadays weather wise, socially and politically. Never in my 70+ years have I witnessed such instability on all fronts. I believe we are entering into the "end times" as the Bible says (Matthew chapter 24 as an example). I am sure I will get a lot of push back on this but I don't care.........times are weird, people are weird nowadays and the Bible predicted it all.

and SPEND MONEY ON THE TARP, the cheap ones fade, tear, pull loose at their moorings.

Be safe.