12' Klamath full makeover

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just back from CO last night so I am posting the electrical I did before I left:

12.jpg

Power, lights and paddle wheel cable to the area I will install my switch box:

13.jpg

You can see the rear bilge light as well.

I installed strip LED lights, an 8 LED in front of the rear seat and 4 LED for the front of the middle and front seats:

16.jpg

They will be protected from the world by the seat overhang:

15.jpg

The wood blocks protect the seats from indentation by the temporary screw heads.

Finished drilling all of the wood today and used a router on the edges:

11.jpg

Started on the battery compartment as seen above. I am using a small wheelchair battery in a small battery box so the compartment does not have to be too big. This way I will have more room for the all important flotation.

I will be installing a key lock on the box with a slide-in seat base attached to the lid. My seat is on the starboard side and this is on the port to offset some of my weight especially when my wife fishes with me..

Nice job so far... Like the lights!

What kind of wood are you using ?

Thanks!

Keep posting pics when you can!

Thank you, just run of the mill AC marine glue that I have sanded smooth. I have started to use West Systems 105 + 207 for 2 coats of very clear epoxy with cut shellac as a top coat. Easy to repair and renew yearly.

callelk said:
Thank you, just run of the mill AC marine glue that I have sanded smooth. I have started to use West Systems 105 + 207 for 2 coats of very clear epoxy with cut shellac as a top coat. Easy to repair and renew yearly.
Thanks for the info!

Here is my battery setup, the holes are threaded 10-32 which is more to keep everything in place as the West Systems G/flex dries:

18.jpg

Added a couple of pieces of 1/2 thick rubber to keep the box somewhat centered along with the strap. The footman loops are bolted with pan head screws in the inside and acorn nuts on the outside:

19.jpg

With the battery box in place:

20.jpg

The plug is the same as my charger so I can open the lid to charge or remove the battery and store with the solar maintainer attached.

Well, after a cold winter I am back at it. Tried to finish the seats but business travel did not allow me over the winter. That said I am getting things done now that it is warming up and will post photos shortly.

The sun was bright Sundy and I was using an iPhone so please forgive the photos. Saturday it rained off and on so I only worked on the boat for short periods of time and did not take photos.

From the rear:

3_1.jpg

I will be adding the rod holders to the stiffeners.

From the front:

8_1.jpg

Added an electrical box with a switch for the under seat LED's and a switch with fuse holder for the Elite-7 HDI unit. Additionally there is a two (2) port USB charger in the mix.

7_1.jpg

The Scotty Downrigger mount was in a temporary position as I will be adding additional rod mounts to the rear for accessories like a Bait Buoy, GoPro Mount, drink holder, fender ring/rope eyes, etc.

Wow, the wood on those benches looks like high end Scandanavian furniture not boat seats. Nice work.
Nice to see another Klamath. I'm working on mine right now and will post pics when it's done.

Thank you.

The seats are great because they are actually tougher than hardwood floors. I used 4 coats of West Systems epoxy to seal them and then 2 coats of Spar Urethane just for grins. The Spar Urethane is water based so I was able to do it in the house without the smell. Another advantage is I can stand on the seats without worry of damage and they wipe clean of bait, worms etc.....

I took it out Tuesday to check for issues and not a drop of water. I will try to have more photos when I finish up a few odds and ends.

I am looking forward to photos of your Klamath, they are great boats and I was lucky to find one here in ID.

Charging the battery before a day of Kookanee fishing:

Boat%20May.jpg

Yeah, went with a 9.9 HP Merc. GPS Speed of 21+ loaded with just me in the boat.

Latest posts