1240 flatbottom saltwater skiff style build

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reelrebel18

Reaction score
new guy here... not new to boats, im 20 and a uscg captain
i got this boat around 6 years ago with a bad transom and a busted bow
we replaced the bow and put a new transom in and used it at the hunt club for retreiving deer in the swamp

i just got a mid 90s gamefisher 15 on trade in mint shape so i figured i take care of the old girl to do some fishing in the inlets around virginia beach, va the boat is 12'3" LOA and 40" at the base of the stern as well as made of a heavy gauge metal. its former life was a rental that washed up and the rental company was out of business

100_1552.jpg

100_1553.jpg

plans now include marsh grass paint a 8" screw off hatch or 2, a 12X12 hatch on the bow and a rear deck at seat level
no seats till i fish the boat some and figure it out
tell me what you think

Welcome to the club! Where in VB you at? That's where I'm at, too. Well, I live right by Greenbriar Mall, but grew up off Ferrell Pkwy. Can't wait to get mine into Lynnhaven Inlet and Rudee as well. Should be a fun project for you.

im right at lake smith / little creek resovoir about 5 minutes to lynhaven and about the same to little creek

got the outside of the boat cleaned/primed and painted today will be posting pictures later tonight after i finish cutting the transom and rear deck

painted the boat with HS duck blind marsh grass and must say i like the tan color :)

decided to get a smaller motor and set this boat up simple so i can give it to my 11 y/o brother for his 12th birthday next winter and the old lady oked a new boat purchase next spring....thinking caronila skiff j18 with a 50 horse yammy tiller....
got the wood cut and sealed, picked up the hardware for the transom and picked up a 9.9 on craigslist for 150 buck thats runs and is in 90% condition
pics
IMG_2399.jpg

IMG_2400.jpg

IMG_2397.jpg

got the transom in and the paint finished
the motor got a thourgh going over and it needs a new needle and seat and recoil spool but will still be only 250 at max in the motor
took the boat for a test ride and wow this thing sits high in the water w/ a 6 gallon tank, the 9.9 me at 280 and a buddy at 175 we only drafted around 3.5 inches and planes out instantly :mrgreen: it should be a good boat for my brother and me this summer and until i get my bigger skiff/jon next spring

questions:
how are yall attaching the bow handles?
i cant get to the back to bolt it in...

also has anybody done a slat wood floor like was originally in dyeguy1212 1432 seen here?what type of wood?1x4's?
https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=8484

well after a struggle to get it registered, which is a story in its self :shock: :( :roll: and a snowy deer dog season :mrgreen: took her out this spring for a test ride
044.jpg

caught a couple bass but realized that fresh water fishing is very impractical w/o a trolling motor :wink:
so my little brother and i made a simple mount similiar to BaitCasters on his 1542
i also picked up a decent galvanized trailer- traded it for a wetsuit i found on the beach after a storm
next is a pair of seats and cup holders
047-1.jpg

im still looking for the right skiff or big tin but this little tin fishes cheap and easily
im really having fun :p :lol: :LOL2:

took the boat to the lake :D
SDC10357.jpg

all was well and good
motor was pissing real good and we fished for a few hours..left the boat behind my dads house on the lake overnight
next morning he took it out and must of picked some mud up as half way across the lake the motor locked up on him (clearly visible burnt paint on top of #2 head :(
but the good news is we are in the market for a brand new 9.9? any suggestions?

got the new outboard, a battery battery box, 3 gal fuel cell and mounted the seat...i post pics tomorrow
went with the yamaha f9.9 2011 model.. :mrgreen: i love it. :mrgreen:

2449.99 plus tax at norfolk marine... its 10n times what i have in the boat... but its smooth...was looking at the tohatsu's which i could of ordered for 1839.99 shipped but the local service and yamahas reputation was worth the extra...i keep the boat on lake smith so if ya wanna check the motor out just let me know

new goodies....seat installed, battery box, fuse panel, wiring and quick connect for trolling motor, bigfoot switch, and oh yeah, Brand spanking new yamaha 9.9 4 stroke :beer:
boat017.jpg

boat013.jpg

Latest posts