1248 Weldbilt Project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks all for the nice comments...... I am really happy so far how it is turning out.......im still not done tho... i have a few other things to add to it this week that i am sure you guys will find neat....

I do have a couple of questions for you.... need some ideas

1. How do i hid the wires from the steering console to the middle of the front deck... the deck is filled solid with foam so its about impossible to go under the deck.... conduit? any ideas on flat conduit?

2. Drivers seat - any ideas.... thinking a cooler but would have to make a back rest - the cooler would be efficient (serve 2 purposes)......

Hello out there.You done a nice work onit. :wink: I am wanting to no about how fast it goes.

Hotshot inn

I started working on two weeks ago...4 or 5 hours on weekends and a few hours each nite...I am close to done. The special back deck I am working on has taken much more time than thought... But man it looks awesome... Can't wait to post pics in next day or two

So.. the back decking was a concern... I didn't want to add the weight... I couldn't cover it with flooring as the steering controls would have required a large cutout - defeating the purpose. As well, air ventelation for the gas tank etc. My original plan was two large aluminum doors mounted to the transom that would hinge and open... but a new idea cam to mind.....

How about an aluminum teak deck!! you know those teak decks and teak doors the fancy yachts have in their floors to store skis etc.... So a teak deck it is....

I called the local metal shop and found some 3 inch rectangular aluminum tubing... I ordered 1/16 inch... when I got home I realized they gave me 1/8 inch.... a bit heavier but much much stronger. The project took 14 pieces of aluminum channel, each 17 1/2 inches long. So I had to purchase about 30 feet of channel..... $68 ouch.... I also purchased some aluminum 1 inch angle to mount to the transom and back deck to support the aluminum teaks... $26 ouch... so the back deck broke the budget a bit coming in at about $100 bucks... but...it is worth it...

Notice, I had to shorten two pieces so the steering cables could move as I steer

Attachments

• 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 8.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 8.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 4.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 4.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 6.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 6.jpg
    176 KB · Views: 1,116
So the details.. I cut each piece to 17 inches... I spaced them 3/4 inches apart. All in all, the teak deck added about 25 lbs of weight.. GRRRRR but..

I mounted angle to the transom and rear bench seat for support. I actually installed the teak deck about 1/2 inch below the top of the back bench, so if in the future, I can add 1/2 inch of those pvc foam tiles.

Attachments

• 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 221.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 221.jpg
    175.7 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 10.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 10.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 1,117
I was concerned about the sharp edges of the aluminum... so I went to home depot and purchased a can of plasti dip $8 (which people use to add rubber handles to pliers and tools)... I dipped my teaks into the plasti dip to add a rubber edge (note I will trim these to make them all look nice and neat)

Attachments

• 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 66.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 66.jpg
    186.6 KB · Views: 1,117
  • PlastiDip.jpg
    PlastiDip.jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 1,117
YES YES YES.... you can access the area underneath.... so I mounted the middle 5 teaks and the far outside teaks to the angle... I then made two removable "doors" comprised of 4 teaks each..... so now you can access the drain plug, the gas tank and possibly store life vests under there. I do need to figure a way to latch them.... hmmm shouldn't be too hard to figure out.... PS the 6 gallon gas tank does fit trhough the door so you can easily remove it.....

Attachments

• 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 2.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 2.jpg
    222.8 KB · Views: 1,117
  • 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 3.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 3.jpg
    239.2 KB · Views: 1,117
When it is all said and done, yes it did cost about $100.. and yes it did add about 25 lbs of weight to the back of all places!!! but, my jon boat build was supposed to be unique... I mean a steering wheel on a 12 footer... so I figured why not.... it looks awesome, it is strong as hell and can easily support a fisherman etc.......

Attachments

• 1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 8.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Aluminum Teac Deck 8.jpg
    209.2 KB · Views: 1,117
Next... wiring

Attachments

• 1248 Weldbilt Control Switch.jpg
    1248 Weldbilt Control Switch.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 1,119
since my deck was full of flotation, I peeled back the foam floor covering, and laid a piece of Flex Duct ($9 at Home Depot)... I then covered the flex duct with the foam floor covering. Not totally pleased with the results but good enough.... I just hate to rip through that foam under the deck

Attachments

• flex duct.jpg
    flex duct.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 1,065
I then hid my steering cable, battery wires, control cables and a few other wires.. I used the flex tube stuff you can buy at home depot... the neighbor gave me some so don't know exactly what it is called........

Attachments

• WireHidden.jpg
    WireHidden.jpg
    250.5 KB · Views: 1,065
Next up was the running lights (will be running bank lines at night... have to have them)... I went to the local bass pro and got a bow light ($12) and a stern light ($20). I originally wanted a removable bow light but they were well over $30..... I really like the stern lignt from Seasense https://www.basspro.com/SeaSense-AllAround-Telescopic-Stern-Light/product/100897/

It does not have the fogged glass and it telescopes up like 5 feet --- will make a great latern for night fishing. I was able to mount the stern light on the Teak deacking I put in

Attachments

• bow light.jpg
    bow light.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • transomlight.jpg
    transomlight.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 1,064
Next... I needed to add some pizazz to my boat... so I orderd me 2 blue led lights from atwood. another splurge here at $17 a piece but they will be nice running bank lines. https://www.blackbearsportinggoods.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=ELLATTW6350A7&click=12

I had trouble finding a place to mount them.... I ended up mounting both on the steering console, one pointing forward to light the front deck and one backward to light the back of the boat.... they do look sharp!

Attachments

• bluelights2.jpg
    bluelights2.jpg
    110.8 KB · Views: 1,063
  • blue lights1.jpg
    blue lights1.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • bluelightsmounted.jpg
    bluelightsmounted.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 1,063
I also got the battering installed under the passenger side of the bench... im concerned a bit that it may be too tight for 2 batteries..... i then mounted my switch panel and 12 v outlet and left a few wires for the Garmin Montanna and the Humminbird to mount on top of the steering column

A few more odds and ends... hopefully the weather next week here in Iowa isn't blistering cold, i think dad and i will try to take it for a test run over thanksgiving....

Attachments

• switch panel.jpg
    switch panel.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 1,062
A couple seats and fish finders as well as a trolling motor and you'll be good to go. Awesome man. Can't wait to see how it performs.

Thanks dr nip....ya if the weather holds I will report back next week after we take it out....