12ft early 70's jon boat... "Buckshot"

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
inlovewithsurfin said:
@ Scott1298... thats so funny that you thought i was some chick modding her boat! :) haha... ya i am pretty lucky when it comes to my girl! she helps me work on the boat and she actually loves going out on it with me! you are definately right about my engine stand! i just built that quick to see if my motor would even run at all! i may have to steal your idea and build an engine stand similar! thanks for the help!

She sounds like a keeper!

im hoping to get back out this Sunday and catch something bigger than little Nemo! haha...

i will have to admit i am a little upset at how slow my 12ft boat goes with a 7hp outboard on it! i know its a 1974 engine but still! i would be surprised if it pushed me faster than 5mph! is there anything i can do to my old outboard to make it push my boat faster? sooner or later i am going to have to go out on my boat with my future father in law on his 14 wide with a 9.9 on it and he is going to drive circles around me! lol... i can already hear the jokes! haha

this is my future brother and father in law on his wide 14 with 9.9
tin83.jpg

theyyounggun said:
Hey, sorry if this is a little nosy but why aren't those sweet "Buckshot" decals on? I'm following him on Facebook

lol... i was just asking myself that today! i havent talked to him about making smaller ones yet and i havent decided what to do with the big decal i have? i am thinking about making an aluminum plate for the front deck and putting the decal on that? i dunno? ideas are welcome :)

Hahaha... Here are some off the top of my head. Tacklebox,tackle tray, back of seats, outboard of it doesn't already have somethin. THE BRONCO!

theyyounggun said:
Hahaha... Here are some off the top of my head. Tacklebox,tackle tray, back of seats, outboard of it doesn't already have somethin. THE BRONCO!

the back window of the bronco is more than likely where it will end up! :)

Hey man, stop throwing those tiny lures and you'll stop catching tiny fish! Lol

I used to only fish 3" senkos up here in CT because i had consistent luck with them. I would catch a handful of 1-pound largemouths each trip. Eventually I switched to 5" senkos and started catching 2-3 pounders! Big bait for bigger fish!

gumbo860 said:
Hey man, stop throwing those tiny lures and you'll stop catching tiny fish! Lol

I used to only fish 3" senkos up here in CT because i had consistent luck with them. I would catch a handful of 1-pound largemouths each trip. Eventually I switched to 5" senkos and started catching 2-3 pounders! Big bait for bigger fish!

you are exactly right!!! i use the bigger stuff but i guess i just need to use it more :)

inlovewithsurfin said:
theyyounggun said:

the back window of the bronco is more than likely where it will end up! :)
That's what I was thinkin! :lol:

great job on the decks. was wondering if that twelve was stable while standing on the casting deck? its seems like its always windy on harwood mills over here in newport news. dont know if i want to deck mine.

It's rare that I read a whole 8 page thread but I have to admit, I love that boat! Great job can't wait to see future mods. And even though I'm a Chevy guy, that's a bad a$$ looking bronco makes me miss my old K5 blazer.

Mike

joseph101088 said:
great job on the decks. was wondering if that twelve was stable while standing on the casting deck? its seems like its always windy on harwood mills over here in newport news. dont know if i want to deck mine.

FINALLY!!!! someone else from VA! seriously... i am completely new to freshwater fishing in VA and am in desperate need of someone that knows where to go and what to use! my future father in law keeps his fishing holes (all of which are on base) to himself and i cant get on base anyways! id be down to go fish sometime just let me know!

as far as answering your question about my casting deck being stable.... i am somewhat of a smaller guy (5'7' and 170lbs) and i feel confident on my casting deck! but i also am a surfer and balance and I get along pretty good? lol... i would say put on a deck that is removable and see how it feels for you!

hit me up sometime if you wanna fish! [email protected]

Mizzie said:
It's rare that I read a whole 8 page thread but I have to admit, I love that boat! Great job can't wait to see future mods. And even though I'm a Chevy guy, that's a bad a$$ looking bronco makes me miss my old K5 blazer.

Mike

thank you very much! i am seriously pleased with my first build and cant wait to start over again! (although my fiance isnt too thrilled with the idea! haha) as far as Ford vs Chevy.... i actually am a chevy guy myself and i was looking at some K5's last night on craigslist lol... this is my 2nd bronco however and i do love bronco's! lets face it... a bronco in decent shape is cheaper than a k5 in similar shape! :)

TheMaestro said:
Seems to me the 7hp should be a little faster than that...Have you checked the angle of it? Is there an adjustment pin for that on there?

there is adjustment and i know that it needs to be adjusted! i am not completely certain on how to properly adjust the angle of the motor to transom though? i have been told that the outboard needs to go in a strait line downwards when the boat is in a level position? as of now the motor is angled too far inward toward the transom of the boat!

@theyyounggun: how do i check the pitch of the prop and what is a good angle as a general rule of thumb?

Ok here's the truth. I don't know! But I'm pretty sure the pitch is the last number. And that the higher pitch=more speed and lower pitch=more power. You would need :---) to check with somebody else first though.

inlovewithsurfin said:
joseph101088 said:

FINALLY!!!! someone else from VA! seriously... i am completely new to freshwater fishing in VA and am in desperate need of someone that knows where to go and what to use! my future father in law keeps his fishing holes (all of which are on base) to himself and i cant get on base anyways! id be down to go fish sometime just let me know!

as far as answering your question about my casting deck being stable.... i am somewhat of a smaller guy (5'7' and 170lbs) and i feel confident on my casting deck! but i also am a surfer and balance and I get along pretty good? lol... i would say put on a deck that is removable and see how it feels for you!

hit me up sometime if you wanna fish! [email protected]

i would like to go out sometime when its not near triple digits. i mainly fish on the peninsula. in three lakes with great populations of perch bass and chain pickerel. might measure for decks tonight have two full sheets of wood in garage just waiting to be used.

woke up at 4am this morning to go catch some catfish!!! my future father-in-law finally said he would take us out where he fishes on base. we dropped in on a large pond/lake (that is super shallow and FULL of grass!!!) shoot across that and come to a "lock" of some sort that you have to use a trolly/ramp system to get across to the other side and we fished the back creeks for several hours then back across the lock and lake back to the trucks. it was a pretty fun day catching lots of cats and 4 pretty big ones that we kept. also decided that my little ESKA 7 horse is just not strong enough to push my little boat :/ going to have to sell it on craigslist and hope to find a 9.9 for cheap soon! if anyone has an older outboard laying around let me know please! :)

heres another video... this is full speed and after i adjusted the tilt on the motor properly

https://youtu.be/f-83RBHaMKA

tin105.jpg

this is at the lock
tin107.jpg
tin113.jpg

back at the boat ramp
tin109.jpg

this didnt help the little outboard push my boat at all! lol...
tin110.jpg

and the catches of the day
tin108.jpg
tin111.jpg

Latest posts