14' 1976 Alumacraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well it has been a while as I put this project in hold. The flow is complete and now I found a great motor. I found a deal on a 15hp Yamaha long shaft. That is mounted and ready to go. At this point I am going to paint the boat above the water line in a forest green and launch it this weekend for a good motor test and to make sure all my mods are sturdy.

I have ordered a fish finder. Some rocker switches. I'll mount the lights and trolling motor and electronics in the coming weeks. Overall I'm happy with the build and should be done by the end of July and have some time to enjoy!!
282fdc6de9c4888107570e72b62b37e0.jpg
5ff0bad97a9aa9207fa392f42ffdb169.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well today I decided to paint one side of the hull. I bought aluminum primer and topside paint. I sanded the side of the hull and washed it down. I then primed it and sprayed two coats of the topcoat. I will say the boat shows some of it scars this way but overall I'm pleased with the result. I plan to lightly sand this coat and then top coat with a finish roller and final coat. I will do the other side tomorrow. I had to pause today due to the weather getting bad.
e4407f1ceadf8862ff874cf5c7fa66c8.jpg

Today my son decided to pitch in and help. He help sand and tape off the boat. He was a great helper and we finished the other side that was more pitted but still look better. Lights and electronics to come next week!
ee68cd372f1a879eb9a9e0785dc4a55d.jpg
929d07d94d5ef3e1fe1c76a15f79723f.jpg
d418a1bec20e12d89ff785eb1fa35b82.jpg

This weekend I am planning on getting some of the initial wiring complete. I have a 6 gang rocker switch and the trolling motor to install as well as the lights. My goal is to keep everything tucked away nicely but still have room if I ever decide to add to the boat in the future.
654ddc5f92c27a309c7b412aa56d5557.jpg
21ff5ff077882844ce360385ac8d11b7.jpg

Mine me asking where you got the rocker switch panel thanks

gatorglenn said:
Mine me asking where you got the rocker switch panel thanks

Amazon has several. Ill be picking one up soon for my build coming up

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I bought it from amazon for about $40. It is a nice little unit. Here are the pics of it fully installed with front bag light and rear light installed.

I left some space on the switch panel for anything that could be added in the future.

15e5ef26e46180650c69baa90489186b.jpg
14a33c758e7301650d6fa361533b3d0d.jpg

So I want some help with something. I tested the boat today and overall it went great. I have a few small things to tweak but overall it went great. My main question for the forum has to do with the outboard height.

The outboard anti-ventilation plate sits about 2" below the bottom of the boat. What are some options to raise this slightly to improve the performance. The boat ran 20mph with 2 people so it was not sluggish but there was a lot of splash coming from the outboard.

I put a static set back plate on it. And get the cavitation plate up to flush or 1 inch above the bottom.

I am looking towards the static back plate that I will construct from aluminum and bolt through the transom. I only need a 2" rise to be level with the transom.

As far as seats I am not going to put seats on the boat. I have some portable seats that you can collapse and use if you want a back rest but will just use the bench seats.

So now I have another question. As I looked at the transom I noticed some flex. I replaced the upper piece of wood and the wood on the back is solid. But I noticed that the lower bolts on the outside of the transom are mounted directly to the aluminum. I took a picture to try to illustrate this. Is this a problem or is a small amount of flex to be expected???

0f419cdd97e57b3d61a8bb5c6ebd9cb8.jpg
a5f2d762cc50f316df159c8e3f5be500.jpg

You can see how the lower bolts on the exterior transom piece are mounted just to the aluminum it self.

Also after looking at the "flex" more further some of the movement is the motor rocking within its own mount which could be tightened.

Well I decided to rebuild the transom just to be safe and the cost vs reward is a no brained. Here are some pictures of that being completed.

I also finished my front deck where I could mount a trolling motor in the future but no plans of that right now.

d0661618ad4d78e24c1d797ac883c8ec.jpg
aefa0abee90aa08a5003bfa302c4374c.jpg
fdcfd696c7ffb82ba9a851add9fedacf.jpg