14 foot flat bottom aka "ye olde salt" finished

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
im new here and on the search for me a jon boat and to start me a project , u done a really good job on ur boat i was wondering did it take u a long time and what level of difficulty was it ?

to be completely honest man, before the boat i have really never done anything like this. i mean yeah, i've cut and hammered and screwed and drilled, ect ect but never anything like this. it's all pretty much common sense so it's fairly easy. it took about 2-3 months or so i guess. and i just worked on it when i felt like it. I've built decks for houses, and done carpeting inside, and bla bla bla, but there is just some many things all in one building one of these. the hardest thing to get used to for me was dealing with aluminum. It's not a very common building material. cant use zinc copper screws, cant use pressure treated wood, cant do this, cant do that this is how you secure this, whatever. I would say it's pretty easy for anyone that has any common sense at all

MadCatX said:
LOL C'mon Gyrene that should be a walk in the park. Paddling upstream lol fully loaded boat.

I'm not saying i couldnt do it. but I'm still lazy as hell, especially once i get about 6 deep. lol

Started mounting the navigation lights, still waiting on my switch board and some small PVC piping to run the wire through.

Attachments

• stern light.jpg
    stern light.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 848
  • Bow light.jpg
    Bow light.jpg
    453.8 KB · Views: 848
oh i will, it's still got a few more upgrades but it's fisheable now, so i will definately take it out in the meantime

i'm actually putting that between the 2 bench seats. it's funny the other day when i took it out that's all i could think about as i trolled along listening to the newly installed tunes. the guy i bought the cd player from had a techno CD in it so i was getting down. I will never let him live that down.

Hey Gunner, I was looking at the mounting block you fabbed for mounting your trolling motor on the bow, which is somewhat similar to what I did. I have been getting some flex in mine. Yours look like it would be pretty solid. Have you noticed and flex in the wood or the aluminum on the bow?

Here's a picture of what I did. I need to reinforce it or change it up to eliminate some of the play.

Attachments

• IMG_1967.JPG
    IMG_1967.JPG
    148.2 KB · Views: 911
i originally did pretty much exactly what you did(go ahead, call me a theif) and i had some play as well. so i added the 3/4 inch on the front and screwed it in from there as well and it helped a lot but it still had a little play(it probably would have been fine but im an "oversecurer"). so i went under the front deck and screwed it in from there too and now it's solid as a rock....your's sits a little bit higher as well and that could be putting some stress on it

Gunner said:
i originally did pretty much exactly what you did(go ahead, call me a theif) and i had some play as well. so i added the 3/4 inch on the front and screwed it in from there as well and it helped a lot but it still had a little play(it probably would have been fine but im an "oversecurer"). so i went under the front deck and screwed it in from there too and now it's solid as a rock....your's sits a little bit higher as well and that could be putting some stress on it

You're right. I think mine is sitting too high.

I think I will do what you did. I am an over-securer too!

Thanks for sharing your idea.

Cheers,
BC

i need to get more in depth with what i'm doing. i'm screwing people out of idea's. you probably saw that pic when it was meant for the lights. that way they can add to my ideas and i'll be changing my design bc of them next time

Gunner said:
i need to get more in depth with what i'm doing. i'm screwing people out of idea's. you probably saw that pic when it was meant for the lights. that way they can add to my ideas and i'll be changing my design bc of them next time

That's why this is such a great site! We learn from each others mistakes and successes.

hey gunner thanks i found my boat today and hope to have it by the week end, it still has water taggs that r good so i might have to get it in the water before i start my build , i have the plan worked out in my head , if i can make my own crankaits i can do this.....lol , i was wondering y can u use treated wood with aluminum ?

pondhopper said:
hey gunner thanks i found my boat today and hope to have it by the week end, it still has water taggs that r good so i might have to get it in the water before i start my build , i have the plan worked out in my head , if i can make my own crankaits i can do this.....lol , i was wondering y can u use treated wood with aluminum ?
i would suggest putting it in the water before you start. i did. it gave me an idea of where i should put things. cup holder's, seats, etc etc....you cant use pressure treated wood because pressure treated wood has copper or something in it and aluminum and other metals dont mix well. it will eat right through it. im pretty sure(someone clarify if i'm wrong) you have to use stainless steel screws and bolts and all that as well.

i'm just gonna cut to the chase...

Attachments

• tarp.jpg
    tarp.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • wiring.jpg
    wiring.jpg
    453.1 KB · Views: 1,011
  • wiring2.jpg
    wiring2.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 1,011
  • floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 1,011
From a article:
Pressure-treated wood is commonly used in the construction of patios, decks, and fences because it lasts longer than untreated wood. Until recently, arsenic was used as a preservative in the most common type of pressure-treated wood available, CCA (chromated copper arsenate). Because of the health risks associated with this chemical, the EPA banned the use of CCA lumber in home construction in January 2004.

ACQ (alkaline copper quat) lumber is one of the varieties that replaced CCA lumber. ACQ uses copper instead of the harmful arsenic, making it environmentally safer. Unfortunately, when the copper in the wood makes contact with metal, such as common aluminum building nails, a chemical process called "galvanic corrosion" occurs.

Galvanic corrosion is a process where one metal, in this case the copper in ACQ, steals the integrity or strength of another metal it is in contact with, like the aluminum nails or fasteners. In a relatively short period of time, sometimes less than a year, these nails can be completely corroded, causing structural instability to the home and creating possible safety

no new pictures right now but ye olde salt is about to get real salty. 5 switch panel with the car lighter adapter thing on the way and i just got a '82 18hp evinrude. im pretty pumped. unfortunately i am completely broke for now and i am having surgery on my wrist tomorrow so who knows when i'll be able to get this thing going. hopefully by fall i'll be on the lake fishing again. maybe by the time my wrist heals i'll have stockpiled everything i need to completely finish it and can knock it out in 2 or 3 days.

Congrats on the motor purchase!! I just picked up an Evinrude myself and If you're like me you can't wait to get it into the water.

Latest posts