14' V Hull Cadillac Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So this is my 50 year old Cadillac V hull

You can see it is still in great condition.
Plans are (in order)

1. Get the measurements to re-do the front deck- the same size and placement, and make a large hatch to store a battery, vests, toolbox, etc.

2. Repaint the boat inside and out

3. put in a floor under the front deck, and beetween the front two seats.

4. Put on clamp on light for bowfishing

5. Trolling motor( dont know how to get it on the bow which is where i want it) plus its more expensive for the front mount

6. Rod holders and cupholders
Some questions...
can i just sand down the outside paint without etching the aluminum, the paint is not chipping or coming off
for the deck, i was debating beetween staining the wood and just leaving it stained, or painting it to match the boat, is there any downside to staining it?
will boating carpet get moldy, i leave the boat outside

lastly, can i cut into the aluminum seats to make storage hatches in them, without sacrificing skeletal strength, and how can i make a hatch with such thin aluminum, should i put wood over it?

Attachments

• IMG_0558.JPG
    IMG_0558.JPG
    1,004 KB · Views: 1,943
  • IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    593 KB · Views: 1,943
  • IMG_0561.JPG
    IMG_0561.JPG
    674.3 KB · Views: 1,943
make a pattern with cardboard for the deck. seats have foam or are hollow. don't cut corners of seat but top flat part or sides o.k. outdoor carpet is good but stained wood with a grit in it would be nice.

The seats are hollow, and i think that some storage in them would save room elsewhere, maybe even keep my battery in one.
The grit in the staining is a great idea, thanks alot, im thinking it will try to put some fine sand in some sort of fine sifter of some kind so it goes on evenly.

Anyone here have experience with applying a gritty surface to wood?

i will get started with the cardboard cut outs tomorrow or the next day, as well as choose some paint. Im thinking red and beige or maybe green and beige.

And thanks alot robbie, it has been in my uncles hangar for about 8 years now :shock:

today i got the motor off and cleaned it off, and got it set up in my garage. There isnt much room in there but i have gotten started sanding the bottom, and bought my paint today.

I will be painting the outside grey and inside beige. hoping it turns out well, that paint was way more expensive than i thought #-o

Latest posts