1442 V Hull and 1432 Modification

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plantation.wildlife

Reaction score
I will upload pictures tomorrow but the end goal is to totally revamp both boats. I am wanting storage compartments and casting decks. Dont really care about seats, the boats will be used for fly fishing florida flats. I may use the flat bottom as a duck boat but not sure yet.

Questions:

1) Using a palm sander to remove old paint. Can sanding disturb the structural integrity of the aluminium?

I took the paint off of my first build with a wire brush attachment on an angle grinder with no problem. Given that a palm sander is much less aggressive you will be fine.

I imagine that the only integrity a palm sander will test is the integrity of your patience! :lol: After using the angle grinder you couldn't pay me to even consider using a sander, of course I took the boat down to the bare aluminum which is often not necessary.

Get a wire wheel for your drill. It will make it 100X easier.

Sanding, and chemical strippers are fine for Alum. With that said ....common sense always applies.

Where you run into possible problems with structural integrity with aluminum is when sand blasting aluminum tubing used for motorcycle frames, bicycle frames, or airframes. When stripping things like that you are supposed to use a plastic media or glass bead blaster.

Here are a few pictures. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• CIMG0148.jpg
    CIMG0148.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0149.jpg
    CIMG0149.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0150.jpg
    CIMG0150.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0151.jpg
    CIMG0151.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0152.jpg
    CIMG0152.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0153.jpg
    CIMG0153.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0154.jpg
    CIMG0154.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 1,446
  • CIMG0155.jpg
    CIMG0155.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,446
i just finished stripping my boat down without any problem. i used a chemical stripper to remove the bulk of the paint and then went back with an orbital palm sand with 120 grit. I used 220 to make it look a little nicer check out my post 14' lund getting started. Hope it helps

Latest posts