14ft shallow V Sears Gamefisher

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papa

Reaction score
I just registered, but have visited the site many times. My boat is a work in progress. I have been making changes as I find the need and find the ideas. Its a 14 foot Sears Gamefisher powered by a 5hp Nissan. Not too impressive but it's the perfect ticket to get on any of the small lakes around here chasing trout.

Attachments

• 2012-05-05Whole boat.jpg
    2012-05-05Whole boat.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,509
I added a new piece of plywood to the transom last season, wooden tops to the benches, and some flat decks between the seats for my grandson to walk around on. So far this season I have plug welded some holes in the transom and added some fishing seats on pedestals. Right know I am working on a deck up front since I am thinking about moving my trolling motor up there. We use the trolling motor most of the time, so by moving me and the battery up front it balances the boat out very well and gives the little ones plenty of room. I'm trying to figure out what works best on the little boat then I plan to tear it apart and paint it this year. I'm still undecided but I may remove the middle bench.

Attachments

• 2012-05-08 front deck mock up.jpg
    2012-05-08 front deck mock up.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3,433
  • 2012-05-05 19.46.42.jpg
    2012-05-05 19.46.42.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,433
  • welded transom.jpg
    welded transom.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,434
Nice setup. The wood looks nice on the benches. I have the samr boat 1989 model. Im working on. Will probably post thread later on this week.

After fishing the new setup with the trolling motor up front I made a few decisions about what I want to do. Having me and the trolling motor up front definately offers a lot more control but the rear motor needs to be down. It all but eliminates getting pushed around by the wind that way and tracks straight as a arrow. My boy raised the gas motor on our way into the ramp and the light breeze immediately blew us around 90 degrees when the rear motor came out of the water, it has that much effect. I ordered an 18" extention handle to reach to the front seat and it was perfect, fairly cheap fix.

I decided the middle seat needs to go. Noone sits on it and everyone has to step over it. My 3 year old grandson will appreciate the extra space roam around. I like the front deck that I mocked up, but that means the battery needs to be on top, in the way. I will probably build the front deck level with the seat tops. With me up front it seems more stable with the little ones moving around in back. I can throw my tackle box and the fish net at my feet and the cooler right behind me, which help me take care of the little ones at lot easier.

The cordless drill has a mind of its own...15 minutes later there's a pile of rivet heads and the middle seat is missing out of my boat. I realized that the plywood seat top I made last summer would fill the hole nicely with a little trimming. The framing for the deck is simply a center support because the ends rest nicely on a formed in rail. Add carpet to 3/4 plywood and it locks in to the groove rock solid. I may replace it with a single sheet of plywood but I will fish it this way this weekend to see how I like it first. Its not too late to replace the seat with some pop rivets if I don't like it. My boy caught himself a nice 16" trout at the boat ramp the other night, he was pretty stoked.

Attachments

• 2012-05-13 20.49.20.jpg
    2012-05-13 20.49.20.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,215
  • 2012-05-15 19.58.08.jpg
    2012-05-15 19.58.08.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 3,215
  • 2012-05-15 19.52.37.jpg
    2012-05-15 19.52.37.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 3,215
Anyone do much welding on aluminum. I've been messing around with the settings on my mig and trying to get it right. First time I've ever welded aluminum and its seems tough to get right. I've just been plugging holes up to this point. Small tacks at the top of the hole to build up material and letting gravity bridge the gap with the puddle. When I have some material to keep from blowing thru I hit it from the back side to melt everything together and fill any voids. Its the only way I've found not to blow right thru the thin aluminum, but I think I end up doing more grinding than I think I should. Any advise? I'm listening...

Attachments

• weld badges.jpg
    weld badges.jpg
    4.5 KB · Views: 3,038
  • mail.jpg
    mail.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 3,038
Post up your welding questions in the boathouse, There are a bunch of guys on here that will help you....PSG-1 comes to mind....he is very helpful.