16' Starcraft Superfisherman - part of floor replaced with pressure treated

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jettore

Reaction score
Hi,

Planning on purchasing a 16' Superfisherman. Boat is in good shape and very original for the age. Transom looks original and appears to be solid from the access I can get from the bilge area. I can see part of the floor behind the seats has been replaced since the carpet is not attached well there. Pressure treated was used in that area. Looks like it was done recently, current owner had the boat 3 years though so at least that old. How concerning of an issue could that be? Im planning on ripping out all of the carpet anyway, so I'll have a good look at it all. I can replace what's needed then.

Hi @jettore Welcome to tinboats. Treated lumber and aluminum don't mix well. The aluminum will deteriorate fast. You should plan on removing the treated stuff and replacing it with something else.
That looks like a pretty serious boat. Good luck in your search.

Was the boat likely used in salt water with the pressure treated lumber? Salt spray can really speed up the galvanic corrosion. That would be my main concern.

Was the boat likely used in salt water with the pressure treated lumber? Salt spray can really speed up the galvanic corrosion. That would be my main concern.
Current owner has only used in fresh water. I suspect the work was done by the previous owner before he sold the boat but I can't confirm any of that.

If there is no serious corrosion currently, you should be good if you replace it right away. If heavy corrosion there you might want to renegotiate the price or look elsewhere. It all depends on how long this has been there. Good luck !

Ask him EXACTLY what kind of wood it is, and exactly where and when he bought it.

Might not be typical pressure treated wood.

If you cannot verify that it's an aluminum-safe wood, best to remove, IF you can get the money off in purchase. That, or walk away.