16' Sylvan semi-V

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Favorite Hull color/combo?

• Green/White

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Blue/White

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Olive Drab

Votes: 26 42.6%
  • Powder blue

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Raw aluminum

Votes: 18 29.5%

• Total voters

Bashepard

Reaction score
]Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum, new to aluminum, but not new to the water. I just bought this 16' Sylvan semi-v. My plans are...

1. Get the 40HP merc running like a top.
a. new coils
b. new plugs
c. new impeller/lower unit oil
2. Mockup a deck for fore and aft fishing
3. Mockup floor
4. Design new center console w/ live well

What i need...

1. What size/pitch prop do you guys suggest?
2. Since this will be used mainly in salt water, are there any special considerations i should be aware of?
3. I plan on removing the center bench seat to make room to walk around. Do i need to brace the gunwale or do the rest of the seats provide enough support?

Attachments

• DSCN0644.jpg
    DSCN0644.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 3,715
  • DSCN0645.jpg
    DSCN0645.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 3,715
  • DSCN0646.jpg
    DSCN0646.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 3,715
  • DSCN0647.jpg
    DSCN0647.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 3,715
  • DSCN0648.jpg
    DSCN0648.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 3,715
  • DSCN0649.jpg
    DSCN0649.jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 3,715
'Bashepard said:
What i need...

1. What size/pitch prop do you guys suggest?
2. Since this will be used mainly in salt water, are there any special considerations i should be aware of?
3. I plan on removing the center bench seat to make room to walk around. Do i need to brace the gunwale or do the rest of the seats provide enough support?

1) Can't help you on the prop pitch/diameter. Find a good local prop place and tell them what you have they will be able to help. Chances are t will take a little switching to get the perfect one.

2) Keep everything nice and clean; wash it down with fresh water after each use etc. Isolate dissimilar metals (stainless steel bolts to Alu. hull for example) whenever you can. No dissimilar metals below the water line.

3) you will prloy need to brace the sides if you remove the center seat. Adding a channel type brace(s) across the bottom and up the sides will do it; rivet it in. Since you are going to put a floor (called a sole in a boat) the channel will be covered and not pose a trip hazard.

Blew her out, power washed her and began work on the motor. Cleaned the plugs, new gas and pulled the pullrope. Ripped right up. She was a little sputtery for a while and still wont idle but she runs like a top as long as i give her throttle.

Any ideas about the idle issues? There are 2 kinds of jets right low and high speed jets? Could they just be dirty?

Attachments

• DSCN0650.jpg
    DSCN0650.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 3,594
  • DSCN0653.jpg
    DSCN0653.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 3,594
  • DSCN0654.jpg
    DSCN0654.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 3,594
  • DSCN0659.jpg
    DSCN0659.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 3,594
Thanks for the input! I had it out on Mobile Bay today and it runs like a dream if I'm wide open. I'll take the carb off this weekend and put a kit in it after cleaning it.

Yea, I threw that together so i could do some sea trials. I'll put together a proper one when i begin to deck it out.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/sTRIjPDjiQg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/sTRIjPDjiQg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/sTRIjPDjiQg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/sTRIjPDjiQg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Started Framing up the casting deck. This evening, got a 3/4 inch hardwood sheet of plywood, some more 2x3s, deck screws and Thompsons water seal.

Take a look at this set up and let me know what you think if you will. I plan on just attaching a 2x3 to the side of the benches to support the frames.

Also, what are you guys putting between carpet and the Thompsoned plywood? Also also, are y'all using brass tacks or staples after the carpet is wrapped around the sides? I'm crawling the threads looking for the best technique. Thanks.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    166.3 KB · Views: 3,504
  • photo-1.jpg
    photo-1.jpg
    113.9 KB · Views: 3,504
  • photo-2.jpg
    photo-2.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 3,504
  • photo-3.jpg
    photo-3.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 3,504
The framing looks good to me, especially if you're using 3/4 ply. I used an outdoor grade carpet adhesive along with staples to attach my carpet. So far it's help up well but it's only been a few months. I guess time will tell. Good luck with the rest of your build.

Bashepard said:
I see some folks using a waterproof backing between the carpet and plywood. Is this necessary?

Marine carpet has a rubber back on it, it's not a separate piece of material. I would think that the rubber back extends the life of the plywood significantly if it continuously gets wet inside. If I were using carpet glue, I'd want the rubber back. Otherwise, seems like the glue would just come up through the carpet.

The boat looks like it's scoots around good, and nice work my the cameraman..

I'm back and forth .... semi-v, flatbottom. Flatbottom, no, semi-v.

This has been saved to Favorites.
This definitely a build to watch.

Brine said:
Bashepard said:
I see some folks using a waterproof backing between the carpet and plywood. Is this necessary?

Marine carpet has a rubber back on it, it's not a separate piece of material. I would think that the rubber back extends the life of the plywood significantly if it continuously gets wet inside. If I were using carpet glue, I'd want the rubber back. Otherwise, seems like the glue would just come up through the carpet.

The boat looks like it's scoots around good, and nice work my the cameraman..

The glue doesnt come through the carpet without the backing. However Ir ealized i didnt use enough glue, and in the heat the carpet comes up a little. I believe that I will most likely get some kind of needle, maybe on of those turkey injectors and fill it with epoxy to get teh loose spots.

Troutman3000 said:
The glue doesnt come through the carpet without the backing. However Ir ealized i didnt use enough glue, and in the heat the carpet comes up a little. I believe that I will most likely get some kind of needle, maybe on of those turkey injectors and fill it with epoxy to get teh loose spots.

One of the members on here experienced the glue coming up through the carpet and provided pictures within the past couple months. I'm sure the type of carpet as well as the type and amount of glue applied are both significant factors.

That Robbie Guy said:
I'm back and forth .... semi-v, flatbottom. Flatbottom, no, semi-v.

This has been saved to Favorites.
This definitely a build to watch.

Robbie, the semi-V for me is best cause I'll mostly be on the bay where it can get pretty choppy. so the hull allows me to cut through the waves with out jarring the boat in half. That being said if i was confined to a river or skinny water all the time i would probably go with a flat bottom flats style boat.

BTW, thanks for all your input so far guys. It has been quite helpful. Now if it would only stop raining here i could get some work done.

Update! Been too busy fishing on nice days to work on the boat, but today I buckled down and cut out the ply to fit the foredeck.

What do you guys think is the best order for attaching ply to framing to deck? Also, diring that process when when is it best to (Thompsons water) seal and carpet?

Attachments

• IMG_1647.jpg
    IMG_1647.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_1642.jpg
    IMG_1642.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_1641.jpg
    IMG_1641.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_1639.jpg
    IMG_1639.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_1635.jpg
    IMG_1635.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 1,341
  • IMG_1633.jpg
    IMG_1633.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 1,341
Bashepard

Your boat looks great, and that 40 seems to push it quite well. Although probably not essential, you may want to drop some deck supports down from your braces, maybe somewhere near the seat post. And you also may want to consider slapping three to four good thick coats of spar urethane on the wood as opposed to the Thompson's. As far as the carpet, I have used outdoor carpet glue from Lowe's on two builds with no problems, just wrapped around with an extra two inches and stapled it down. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Whelp, I'm ready for carpet. How much gap do i need to leave between the hatch doors to allow for carpet?

Also, i decided to forgo the seat post plates for now. The deck is completely removable.

Does anyone with a removable deck know the best way to keep it from creaking when you walk around on in?

thanks
Brian

Attachments

• IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg
    541.7 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_1685.jpg
    IMG_1685.jpg
    595.8 KB · Views: 1,313
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    533.5 KB · Views: 1,313