1652 Lowe Olympic John Duck/Marsh Boat Updated 9/25/13

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the comments guys. To answer a few questions, yes, my hatch doors are 1/2" plywood with a piece of 3/4" underneath for bracing. The hinges are nothing more than continuous hinges. My handles are small d ring tiedowns. I would give a link if i werent on my phone. I got them at home depot. The blind is built out of 3/4" conduit. I can give some more details if youre interested in building one. It is covered with fastgrass. It was supposed to only be a temp blind for this year but it worked so well i may just make some improvements and use it next year.
As for the lights, they are some cheapies i bought at walmart. I think it was 25 for two. I have them wired so i can use the inners or the outers or both. They were indespensable during duck season.

T Man, thanks for all the info! If you ever get around to taking more pictures, snap a few closer shots of the hatch doors. Would like to see what holds them on the inside. Were you able to find the hinges local? Was looking at some today at a hardware store but wasn't sure what kind of metal was best. Didn't see any stainless ones.

TxTightLiner said:
I like it. Good lookin paint job!
I am interested in how you built the blind, materials/cost etc..

If you google "Scissor Blind" or "Conduit boat blind" you will find tons of designs. Cost for me was free because I had the conduit laying around from an old blind I built, but it is about $4 for a 10' stick and I used 4 for my blind. If you use 3/4" EMT conduit you can use 7/8" bimini hardware.

NLaudy said:
T Man, thanks for all the info! If you ever get around to taking more pictures, snap a few closer shots of the hatch doors. Would like to see what holds them on the inside. Were you able to find the hinges local? Was looking at some today at a hardware store but wasn't sure what kind of metal was best. Didn't see any stainless ones.

Gravity is keeping my hatches closed. When I get around to carpeting the boat they will just be slam fit hatches. None of them face into the wind so they stay closed when trailering. I bought the hinges at home depot. I think it was $15 for a 6' long hinge.

I bought a new prop today. $80 for a Merc. takeoff. It was brand new so I went ahead and pulled the trigger. While I was walking around I saw an old Feathercraft vagabond and fell in love. It had a gutted interior, but the lines were beyond sleek on that old tin. Im thinking it may have to become mine.

Good stuff Tman! The hinges is more what I was curious about. Will have to look for some at Lowes next time I go.

Thanks. I have plenty of conduit laying around, Ill get put one together.
So the grass stuff , where did you buy it?

TxTightLiner said:
Thanks. I have plenty of conduit laying around, Ill get put one together.
So the grass stuff , where did you buy it?

It came with the boat when I bought it, but Cabelas, Bass Pro, and Rogers have it. It is avery fast grass and it comes in a 4x4 sheets and i belive there are 4 sheets to a package.

Here are a few pics of my progress on my bilge remodel. I just glued down some 1x2 PVC strips to act as attachment points for my batt and fuel tank hold Downs. The 5200 takes 7 days to fully cure so the batteries and cinderblocks are just there to provide clamping pressure. The battery weight wont change so they are on the port side to ballance driver weight. The fuel tank will be mounted on the centerline because the weight is variable. Depending on how I set up the rest of the bilge, I can carry up to 3 more 6 talon tanks increasing my range to well over 100 miles.

The back deck is finally back on. I've been waiting on my battery tray to arrive and it finally did today. The missing bilge hatch is receiving a final coat of paint and it will be ready to install. 3 coats of spar urethane and 3 coats of paint should give it a little longevity. I still need to roll a couple coats of deck restore on but it is more of a nonskid than a wood protectant for my application

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1382641016122.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382641016122.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 372
  • uploadfromtaptalk1382641027469.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1382641027469.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 372
Looking good. Glad to see another waterfowl boat on here :mrgreen:

What kind of lights did you mount on the bow? Want to do the same to mine but can't decide on how many/ what kind to use. Boat looks good so far

willsbarbour said:
Looking good. Glad to see another waterfowl boat on here :mrgreen:

What kind of lights did you mount on the bow? Want to do the same to mine but can't decide on how many/ what kind to use. Boat looks good so far

Cheap Walmart lights. I like all 4 but its a huge draw on power