16ft 1968 Terry Bass Boss river/flats slayer in the making

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now I need to flip the boat and Steelflex Super Slick the hull. I ordered it, it came in, but I have no idea how to apply it. Any help and guidance is appreciated.

I must give all credit for the transom to Dawson Mion at Fish On Fabricators in Cartersville GA! He did a great job and I will be back to have more work done there, as I am not a welder.

No instructions came with the steelflex superslick.........?????

On another note, if I install a center console I'll only have 11 inches on either side to walk.....I really want a center console but this seems like it will lead to a safety hazard. The CC im looking at is a Seark with a livewell/dry storage seat up front. 19" wide by 33" long. Length is no issue its the width. I assum I could cut it down, but if anyone has any other links to a decent center console not so large I would appreciate it.

The first and second pic (from bottom to top) are with a 4.5 inch grinder and 60 grit. Takes way to long! the other pics are with aircraft stripper. It doesn't work as well as I'd hoped. looks like a long time before shes ready for steel-flex :(!

Attachments

• stripper1 grinder.jpg
    stripper1 grinder.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2,396
  • stripper 2.jpg
    stripper 2.jpg
    130.2 KB · Views: 2,396
  • stripper3.jpg
    stripper3.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 2,396
  • stripper4.jpg
    stripper4.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 2,396
On the steel flex, my dad bought the same stuff for me. You mix the color with the hardener. You only get one chance to put it on, so I'd suggest you do a small test run first. ( what I mean is you can't come back later and re-apply, it wont stick. So try and get it all prepped and have a couple extra hands around...just in case.) You'll need to mix in quite a bit of the color. I didn't and mine came out see through. Plus, I tried to do mine while hanging....big no no.
Do it upside down like you have it. I used a roller and it worked great, but I did have to brush the corners of the chines. Also I bought the 1/2 gal. of each to make a gallon for my 1860, I really didn't have enough. Give it several days to dry and then the most important thing I can tell you is

Do NOT unhook your boat until it is in the water, or you will launch it early :oops::D

How much did the all aluminum transom replacement run you if you don't mind me asking?

Finally completed the prep work and was able to apply primer! Thansk to my neighbor for teaching me how to use a spray gun!!

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    325.9 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    300.9 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    312 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    103.7 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    126.2 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    95.9 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    92 KB · Views: 2,300
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    98.2 KB · Views: 2,300
Super Slick 1st coat is applied!!! Man this stuff is SLICK once it dries!!

Attachments

• ss1 (1).JPG
    ss1 (1).JPG
    104.8 KB · Views: 1,688
  • ss1 (2).JPG
    ss1 (2).JPG
    120.5 KB · Views: 1,688
  • ss1 (3).JPG
    ss1 (3).JPG
    106.9 KB · Views: 1,688
  • ss1 (4).JPG
    ss1 (4).JPG
    118.5 KB · Views: 1,688
  • ss1 (5).JPG
    ss1 (5).JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,688
BEEN A LONG TIME SINCE I POSTED AND IVE HAD A SLOW GO OF IT BUT HERE ARE SOME PROGRESS PICS. FLATS STALKER IS TAKING SHAPE!!

Hey bud, great boat. I did a center console convert also. Check my profile for the build, it might give you some ideas for what you want to do. Best of luck with your project!!

Here are a few pics of the most recent progress. Hope I loaded them correctly. Still have to rig the motor, install steering system, electrical, trolling motor, gun box, and seating. A ways left to go but getting closer....every year! (i know it has been a while)

Attachments

• IMG_3227.JPG
    IMG_3227.JPG
    38.8 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_3228.JPG
    IMG_3228.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_3224.JPG
    IMG_3224.JPG
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 1,534
  • IMG_3229.JPG
    IMG_3229.JPG
    40.8 KB · Views: 1,534
I assume most of you lost interest in my project.....lol However the show must go on! Poling platform is fabbed and going in, gun box is in, console is secured! Home stretch now! A few holes to weld up and then on to electrical and rigging! I'm thinking linex the complete interior and wrap the exterior in a sawgrass pattern... thoughts?

Attachments

• skiff platform.JPG
    skiff platform.JPG
    115.2 KB · Views: 1,440
  • skiff platform2.JPG
    skiff platform2.JPG
    89.1 KB · Views: 1,440
  • skiff platform3.JPG
    skiff platform3.JPG
    35.7 KB · Views: 1,440
  • skiff platform4.JPG
    skiff platform4.JPG
    43.5 KB · Views: 1,440
I intend to layout my interior of my 1542 almost exactly like yours. Thanks for the pics!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Platform finished and installed. Back top bar for Rocket Launchers...

Attachments

• finished platform.jpg
    finished platform.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 1,386
So I finally after a long time I brought the boat home. I don't own a welder and don't know how to do it (at this time) so after about two years we have completed the "ROUGH" engineering and welding. I used the old steering cable to rough in what I think is a good fix to run the steering under the deck.

Attachments

• boat home.JPG
    boat home.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 1,303
  • steering 1.JPG
    steering 1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 1,303
  • steering 2.JPG
    steering 2.JPG
    31 KB · Views: 1,303
@ DPI, The platform will be used for poling for REDs in the flats. Its easier to sight fish from that vantage point. Also Ill be able to use the Dead space for a T-Bag and have some extra storage as well.

Latest posts