1957 Crestliner Viking 710 Conversion

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
Greetings, all. My name is Tony, and I live in central Virginia, near Lake Anna.

I have fished all my life, and have seriously boated for the last 20 years or so. All of my many boats have been fiberglass until a few years ago when we moved near the lake here. My boat was a big Grady White, which is pretty huge for the lake. Wanting something smaller, I bought an old jon boat off Craigslist.

It was a 14' mod-v bottom Monark with an 8 HP Evinrude. The boat worked fine, but was hard to get on plane, only getting up to maybe 12-15 MPH. I fished it a few times, quickly bored of it, sold it and went back to saltwater fishing.

Well, the gas prices jumped, and I found myself trailering the 3 hours to Virginia Beach less and less often. Sold the Grady and moved to a smaller center console. This got me to thinking about fishing locally again. So I picked up an old, gutted out aluminum boat with no titles, but a nice Yamaha 9.9 for $600. The boat was deep (33") and wide, (60"+) and seemed to have potential, despite how ugly it was:
DSC00398.JPG

It was gutted out, with nothing inside besides a big box seat, but the Yamaha had promise:
DSC00380.JPG

So I came up with a proposed plan to modify the boat to fish out of:
DSC00389.JPG

I started the project, and cut the front deck. I figured I'd use a nice A-B cabinet plywood primed and sealed:
DSC00419.JPG

But life got busy, and progress stalled. I covered the boat, but the cover caved in with 3' of snow. Didn't look under there until the next summer, and the trapped moisture had rotted the plywood! I had nothing in it, so I just covered it up and left it. Sold the motor to recoup some cash.
DSC01902.JPG

Last summer, we went to Nags Head, and there was some great fishing in the shallows, and my brother and friend had a blast in their kayaks, catching puppy drum and trout. Gave me the push to get my jon boat project moving this time! So I gutted out the rotten stuff and started over.

First things first, I needed to replace the transom wood. Used two layers of PT plywood, cut to size, then glassed together with fiberglass mat and resin to make super strong. Then applied a wet layer of glass mat to the transom, and bolted the transom on. I didn't want the PT to touch the aluminum in any way. Applied several coats of resin on the outside to seal, and then painted black to match the rest of the boat. Worked well, and this transom will hold any motor I put on it!

This time, I decided to think out the structure a little better. Decided on a light PT wooden frame, secured by aluminum angle and isolated from the hull with high density fill foam, to prevent electrolysis:
DSC01469.JPG

This time, for the decking, I used a 3/4" exterior grade SYP plywood saturated with several layers of wood preserver. Polyurethane adhesive and screwed down to the stringers. Around the perimeter, I foamed it in to avoid "hard" spots and help bond the deck to the hull:
DSC00003.JPG

I cut a couple of hatches in for storage, and then once it was dry, I carpeted it:
DSC00006 (2).JPG

After that, I added some soft plywood to the inside of the transom, to give the clamp-on motors a good "bite", and found a 15 HP Johnson, tuned it up and took her for her maiden run.

The motor ran great, but I was NOT happy with the performance. She got on plane much better than the 9.9, but was not any faster once up on plane, maybe 12-16 MPH. Still, no leaks, and at least I was getting closer!
DSC01473.JPG

What I needed was more power to enjoy the boat enough to use regularly. I found the original Crestiler brochure on the Crestliner site, and discovered this boat came with 40-60 HP from the factory! Definitely could handle more power!

So I found a locked-up 1995 Evinrude 25 for $150. Figured I'd try to get it freed up, or use for parts, and sure enough, letting some WD40 soak in the cylinders, and using a breaker bar, I got it loose! Cleaned the carbs, changed the impeller, and she runs great!

After that, I added a bow-mount trolling motor, batteries, fishfinder, etc and took her for her maiden run with the 25...

SHE RAN GREAT! That little 25 makes this boat fly! I forgot to bring my GPS, but I'd say she does at least 25 MPH. Very happy with the performance! The only thing is that the boat was very back-heavy, so I had to move all the batteries and gas tank up front to balance it out when alone. With two people, she ran GREAT.
crestliner 02.jpg

And that's where I am right now. The boat is running well, but needs a LOT of cleaning up, electrical work, rodholders, and so on.

I'm mostly concerned with safety and seaworthiness, and WOW, does she perform well, even through heavy chop! Those big spray rails shoot everything out sideways, and the deep V parts the waves impressively. I had been a bit concerned with the bunk removal, but I'm very happy with how solid the boat feels, and with how the deck bonding has unified the hull. This hull is probably thicker than most of the newer hulls, and that doesn't hurt, for sure.

Right now, I'm trying to decide what to do in the back of the boat. Leave it alone, or build a rear platform? Right now, I like the depth of the boat, both in the front and in the main cockpit, so I'm leaning toward either making a bunk the width of my back corner seat to add enclosed storage, or just leaving it as-is.

Here is the interior of the boat as it currently stands:
crestliner 01.jpg

It's a little embarrassing to post this, considering the absolutely beautiful work I've seen here. But it is what it is. After getting the structure and functional stuff done, I'll have to ask around for the best way to strip the many layers of old peeling paint.

Safety and fishing first, cosmetics later!

Thanks for all of your sharing on this site.

-TH

Welcome to tinboats! Nice looking boat you have there, looks like you are having fun with it. I think that first deck you built was destined to rot no matter what you did. The glue used in that cabinet grade plywood isn't waterproof, delaminates if it gets wet. I have built lots of temp jigs and stands with it and when it gets left in the weather if falls apart.

Yeah... more embarrassment! I kind of knew that, but had it laying around, and figured I'd just seal it really good.

Well, we see how that worked out for me!

-TH

[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=342604#p342604 said:
thill » 23 Feb 2014, 16:49[/url]"]Yeah... more embarrassment! I kind of knew that, but had it laying around, and figured I'd just seal it really good.

Well, we see how that worked out for me!

-TH
You shouldn't be embarrassed, only reason I know is because I put the stuff out in the elements. Trial by error is the best way to learn even though it isn't the cheapest!

Just came across a good deal on a side console and steering. Considering buying it.

Any opinions on whether it's worth the conversion?

Well, here is a blast from the past. I can't believe this was only 10 years ago. It feels like ancient history. I've probably gone through 20 boats since then.

That was a great 14' boat. Never leaked a drop. I took it places I shouldn't. One summer night, I ran it out to the 4th island of the CBBT, and caught huge stripers and drum on it. Crazy! What was I thinking??? That's 10 miles out of the intersection of the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic ocean.

Actually, I remember exactly what we were thinking:
  • "We'll stay in Lynnhaven inlet and catch some croaker."
  • "Hmm... not much action here. I wonder if we can make it to the small boat channel?"
  • "It's so calm and beautiful out! But only small croaker here."
  • "We are out here now. Might as well run to the 1st island."
  • "Hmm, no rockfish. Let's run to the 3rd island."
  • "LOOK AT THE FISHFINDER!!! (drag screaming)
  • "OOOHHHH YEAH! 20 LB STRIPER!!! ANOTHER ONE! AND AOTHER ONE!"
  • "OH MY, WHAT IS THIS??? IT'S TOWING THE BOAT!!!!"
  • "LOOK AT THE SIZE OF THAT BLACK DRUM! Go to the other side of the boat so we don't flip when I try to lift him. Quick, take a pic!"
  • "I can't believe we are out here in this tiny boat catching these huge fish!"
  • "Oh man, how much gas do we have left? We'd better stay under the bridge as we head back."
  • "Wow, that was crazy! Made it back on fumes. I need a bigger gas tank."

Looking back, that was VERY foolish. That boat didn't have any floatation. It had an 1100 GPH bilge pump and life jackets, and I thought that was enough. At the time, I felt confident, and we had a great time. But looking back, I thank God nothing bad happened.

Last edited:
Just came across a good deal on a side console and steering. Considering buying it.

Any opinions on whether it's worth the conversion?
In my opinion..."yes"..as an older guy with bad shoulders, tillers don't work well for me. A steering wheel and a small console to mount compass and electronics is awesome. i have a small windshield on mine to tuck behind when that cold spray and wind is hitting you in the face ! Also allows for better balance when boating alone like I normally do.

You remind me of me…lol

Reminds me of the time I took my little lake boat out in the Puget Sound chasing a halibut hot spot. All was good until the WX went south and we had to run back to the boat ramp as the seas & wind tried to sink us.