Western W-17 Rebuild advice needed and build thread

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cut all of the transom support structure out in order to get the old transom out. I will be making some new structure and having it welded up once I get the transom back in.

The inside surface of the transom has some pitting. Not too bad in my opinion. Looks like water got in around some of the fasteners and ate at the surface. No pitting around the perimeter and where it attaches to the hull so I am thinking it would be structurally sound. I am thinking about coating the entire inside surface of the transom G-Flex epoxy, then sand down flush to fill all of the pitting and corroded spots. Then paint before installing the transom back in. This should help keep any future corrosion to a minimum. Plus I plan to seal all of my through transom fasteners pretty well so I hopefully wont be trapping any water in there in the future.

I have been thinking a lot about the splash tray and looking at more pictures. I am planning on just installing my rear deck and use it as is for a little while and eventually build a splash well that side on top of my rear deck and extends up a bit higher than the transom to add a little extra protection against a wave from the rear. I was originally thinking I would have the bile area in the back completely open and accessible for the plug and bilge and inspection but my buddy talked some sense into me. He said most new boats have the plug installed from the outside and have minimal to no access to the bilge. So keeping my rear deck all one big sheet with a splash well on top and small access panel to inspect / maintain my bilge pump is probably the ideal set up and close to what you would find on a new aluminum boat.

Got a bunch or wire wheel clean up done this weekend along with riveting some more support structure in. Cut the top caps for the skinny side pieces out of 3/4 MDO. Finally got my 316 SS staples so I should be starting wrapping my floorboards in my flooring vinyl this week. The big milestone I am trying to hit is getting the rest of the riveting and fab work done (with exception of the transom work) and getting all on the painted surfaces sanded down and prepped for paint. Once I have all that down I can pull it out of the shop and give it one last pressure wash and scrub down before pulling in back into the shop and start with re-assembly. Foam, Floors, Transom, Console, Etc. Should start looking more like a finished boat. If all get well it should be ready to test in the water by early May. Not a lot to share with pictures. Will probably post up some progress pics later this week.
Sounds good.

If you coat the inside of the transom with G-Flex, I would not sand most of it off before putting on the transom. It will never be seen, so why not leave the protection on?

There are some interesting fold-down bench options. I don't have time right now to show examples, but I'm considering adding a rear deck to my center console, using the design from Sea Hunt, I believe.

In my 16 Sport that I pictured above, the deck is carpeted, so it's really comfortable to sit or lay on without adding any seats or sockets. Initially, I was going to do something there, but I'm glad I didn't.

What kind of flooring are you going to have over your decks? Paint, Carpet, Vinyl or SeaDeck?

What kind of power are you going to hang on her? (y)
:)
Sounds good.

If you coat the inside of the transom with G-Flex, I would not sand most of it off before putting on the transom. It will never be seen, so why not leave the protection on?

There are some interesting fold-down bench options. I don't have time right now to show examples, but I'm considering adding a rear deck to my center console, using the design from Sea Hunt, I believe.

In my 16 Sport that I pictured above, the deck is carpeted, so it's really comfortable to sit or lay on without adding any seats or sockets. Initially, I was going to do something there, but I'm glad I didn't.

What kind of flooring are you going to have over your decks? Paint, Carpet, Vinyl or SeaDeck?

I have an early 80s pre VRO Johnson 60 that came with the boat. I plan on running that to start. Might stick with it if it runs well and proves to be reliable. Otherwise I will be looking for a good deal on a 50 - 60 hp 4 stroke.

I will be covering up the floor and decks with marine vinyl here is a link to what I have. https://www.marinevinylfabric.com/p...oring-flexa-collection?variant=32937588424788

Good point on sanding of the g-flex on the transom. Mostly thinking I will just hit it with some 180 grit to smooth down any high spots before I paint and install the transom board. But I will leave the majority on there. I really like working with the G-flex. Seems like a great product.

Ordering some aluminum sheet to finish out my under deck storage. I was originally planning on using more MDO but for a few bucks more I can get some aluminum sheet cut to size and rivet it in there and never have to worry about it getting wet. Plus it will save me a few pounds. Hope to have them installed by the end of the week.

Not a ton of progress in the past week. I have my annual dirt bike 100 mile desert race this weekend so I have been working on the bikes and camper to get ready.

My aluminum is on back order. Hopefully will get the call today to go pick it up and I can finish out my storage compartments.

I cut out the long skinny 3/4" MDO ply that go along the side "Shelf" thing and have 2 coats of epoxy. Probably hit the edges one more time and call those good.

Got some more coats of epoxy on the transom. That thing is coated good. Going to hit the edges one more time before I install it but I am very confident the transom will outlast the boat.

Just need to do a bit more sanding then I can drag this thing out into the driveway and give it one last pressure wash before paint, foam, and re-assembly. From there things should speed up a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_6023.jpeg
    IMG_6023.jpeg
    155.2 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6032.jpeg
    IMG_6032.jpeg
    153.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6031.jpeg
    IMG_6031.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 0
Finally got some time to make some more progress on this boat.

Got all my storage compartments and reinforcements built out and riveted together. Got the main floor and skinny side panels covered with my flooring materials and started working on the rear deck. Pulled the boat out and gave her one final cleaning and now she is ready for re-assembly.

Picked up a bunch of pink foam insulation board and am working on packing in as much flotation foam as I can fit. I hope to get foam installed, interior painted and floors installed by the end of the week.

Big remaining project is getting the transom re-installed and brackets welded up to support it. I will get to this eventually.

Anyone have any suggestions on foam placement? I have about 1,400 lbs of floatation foam. I think I can get most if not all installed. half of that will be in the floor, 1/4 in the bow and 1/4 in the stern. I would like to get more in the stern to help counter the weight of the outboard but I added some storage that is taking up some space that would otherwise be used for foam.

I figure being conservative my hull is ~350 lbs, interior panels ~250 lbs, Center console ~75 lbs, Engine ~225 lbs, kicker ~75 lbs, Fuel gear / other ~ 200 lbs = a total of 11175 lbs. I would guess maybe closer to 1000 but 11175 is a good conservative number. At 1175 lbs 1400 lbs of floatation should keep it floating. Anyone know how much floatation foam new boats have? Any ideas on the placement of foam? I have heard if the center of gravity is above your center of buoyancy you can become unstable and potentially flip the boat if it were to get filled with water. I am pretty limited on space above the floor. I think my only option would be to purposely remove foam from the floor to increase the height of the center of buoyancy but then I would have less total flotation foam. I am not sure how much of a concern it really is. I just want that piece of mind if I leave my boat in the water over night or I take a big wave its not going to end up on the bottom. Ideally it stays upright and I would be able to bilge it out.

Will post some pics shortly

Attachments

• IMG_6114.jpeg
    IMG_6114.jpeg
    148.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6116.jpeg
    IMG_6116.jpeg
    143.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6115.jpeg
    IMG_6115.jpeg
    140 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6108.jpeg
    IMG_6108.jpeg
    153.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6113.jpeg
    IMG_6113.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
A few pics of foam install so far.

Started trying to cut the pieces perfectly to size. Ended up just cutting strips and packing what ever I can into the voids. I am okay with it not being perfect. I figure some air gaps will help with draining and allow it to dry out better and it will be easier to remove if I ever need to service or inspect under the floor.

I have heard some people say this foam board can squeak. Anyone have experience with that? I can’t imagine it making too much noise under the floor. I don’t really care if it makes noise while cruising around as the engine and wind will likely be louder. I just don’t want to hear squeaking and sounds while trolling with an electric motor or on anchor. I am not too worried about it but if someone had an issue I might consider adding some glue or something.

Also some pics of the console. Wasn’t planning on doing anything other than pressure washing. But now that the boat is coming together and will be pretty much all new looking I decided I need to get a fresh coat of paint on the console to match.

Attachments

• IMG_6120.jpeg
    IMG_6120.jpeg
    121.6 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6125.jpeg
    IMG_6125.jpeg
    158.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6124.jpeg
    IMG_6124.jpeg
    147.6 KB · Views: 0
If it was me, I wouldn't be too concerned about how "form fitting" that foam is. I would cut it into pieces and fill the voids as best I could. As long as the foam is contained and doesn't migrate over time, you'll be fine.

About the amount of flotation: I'd add enough foam to displace the max weight listed on the identiplate. You can go further if you want; no big deal as long as you're not sacrificing usable space for excess foam.

If it was me, I wouldn't be too concerned about how "form fitting" that foam is. I would cut it into pieces and fill the voids as best I could. As long as the foam is contained and doesn't migrate over time, you'll be fine.

About the amount of flotation: I'd add enough foam to displace the max weight listed on the identiplate. You can go further if you want; no big deal as long as you're not sacrificing usable space for excess foam.

The max weight on my Vin Plate is 1650 lbs but this doesn't take into consideration the weight of the hull. Just the motor, fuel, gear, and occupants right? I guess I didn't really consider the weight of the occupants. If the goal of the foam is to keep the boat floating and the occupants safe then I guess I need to be able to float it all....

I estimate I will be able to get about 1200 - 1,500 lbs of displacement in based on what I have done so far. This should be enough to keep the boat above water and have some reserve buoyancy for occupants. It will be significantly mare than I pulled out of this boat so at least its better than it was.

Anyone have any opinions on seat placement?

I cut the rear hatch for my fuel storage without considering my seat placement. I want to be able to open my fuel compartment hatch without removing the rear seats just for convenience. With the current size of the hatch I would have to have my seats pretty far outboard to clear the hatch door.

I am thinking having my seats this far out will be okay when running with people in both seats but if there was just one or people are moving around in the boat it will be too out of balance.

I am considering getting a new piece of plywood and re-making the rear deck with a smaller hatch. There are a few other minor things I want to change with the rear deck anyway. I will be out $125.00 but it's worth it to me if the boat is more stable and comfortable.

I am thinking if I am able to keep the seats inboard enough to keep the weight on over the bottom of the boat where it if flatter, rather than closer to the side where it curves up it will be much more stable. Plus a little more comfortable having more room on all sides for the person sitting in the seat.

Attachments

• IMG_6128.jpeg
    IMG_6128.jpeg
    165.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6127.jpeg
    IMG_6127.jpeg
    177.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6126.jpeg
    IMG_6126.jpeg
    173.5 KB · Views: 0