1979 loweline superior v....again

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnfish

Reaction score
boat3.jpg065.JPG063.JPG00000007.jpg004 (3).JPG011.JPG earlier this spring i did some mods to my boat and was happy until i learned about pressure treated wood so i had to tear it all out and do it again wich kinda was a blessing in disguise because the 3/4 inch ply i used made my boat very heavy(to me). SO I RE did the front deck with half inch but left the 3/4 inch floors in and it still is way to much weight(i think). i can really tell when hitching boat to truck. so im doing it one last time!! with aluminum. everythings coming out exept the back bench, front bench and the tiny bench in the bow, ive already removed the middle bench and can not beleive the room i will have. i already know how im gonna build the floor support,front and back deck support etc...wondering if you guys had any idea what guage and grade aluminum i should use and how to put support back where i removed middle bench, i had it on the lake and it doesent twist or seem flemsy???? as soon as someone can tell me how to make pics(KB) smaller i can post way better pics to give ya a better idea what im doing but these are the ones that were small enough to post for now( i have a TON more and want to show them)....thanks. oh and im open to any ideas and would love your input..

Well I'll chime in and say hello! Your boat looks to be very similar in design to mu Ouachita 15.5' semi-vee. I too am thinking about a front deck to get some dry storage and will watch the progress you make in your build. I have completed the interior painting of mine, and am about one third of the way through stripping the hull exterior for repainting. Best of luck with your build.

p.s. ... Looks like you've got a couple of good fishing partners there, too!

I missed your query about resizing pictures. I used the "Paint" program on my PC to resize mine so I could post them in the gallery.

Ringo Steele said:
Well I'll chime in and say hello! Your boat looks to be very similar in design to mu Ouachita 15.5' semi-vee. I too am thinking about a front deck to get some dry storage and will watch the progress you make in your build. I have completed the interior painting of mine, and am about one third of the way through stripping the hull exterior for repainting. Best of luck with your build.

yeah they keep me on my toes.....

Nice looking ride. How big is your boat (length, bottom and beam width)? I'm in the same situation as you concerning the seat removal, my current rig (Landau) had both the middle and rear benches removed by the PO, I do like the pod set up though. I have seen no twist in hull, but plan on taking it easy with it and not jumping any wakes! For your situation, if you are planning on a large front deck, anchoring it to the side supports on the first seat (not the small one up front) from the bow should hold it nice and tight.

Ictalurus said:
Nice looking ride. How big is your boat (length, bottom and beam width)? I'm in the same situation as you concerning the seat removal, my current rig (Landau) had both the middle and rear benches removed by the PO, I do like the pod set up though. I have seen no twist in hull, but plan on taking it easy with it and not jumping any wakes! For your situation, if you are planning on a large front deck, anchoring it to the side supports on the first seat (not the small one up front) from the bow should hold it nice and tight.

boat is a hair short of 16 ft, transom is 16 and a half inches to where the motor mounts sit. the bottom is about 46(give or take a half)inches and the beam is 55 inches at the widest point(about 52 at the transom. i got the middle bench out now and its pretty sturdy, you can see the suports for the front deck(front and little bench with square tube). i used anchors(the expanding screws) to hold the deck down to the front bench and ss bolts to hold it to the square tubing. its solid as a rock. im gonna leave the front bench in this time and cut 2 holes in the top and turn it into storage after i re-deck it with aluminum. i have a deck on back too but you cant really see it, and i did it the same as the front minus the tubing(on each corner in the back there are two squares filled with foam and i layed the deck on the bench and them, its solid too. anyways im gonna gut the floors and the decks soon and i will post pics. anyone with a suggestion on what guage and grade aluminum i should use?

Ringo Steele said:

what did you use to paint your interior? im gonna do mine but have no idea what to use. im not gonna sand it to bare aluminum, just a smooth wet sand to knock down any scratches.

I used a camo flat paint (khaki color) that I bought from Agri-Supply Co.. The brand was Majic Camoflage Paint #8-0852 made by Yenkin-Majestic Paint Corporation of Columbus, Ohio. It is an oil based paint, and very flat, with a slightly rough texture when sprayed. I used a compressor sprayer, but it can be applied with a brush or roller too. I had to thin it significantly to be able to spray it. It took about 2/3 of the gallon can. It seems to be good and tough. I used 2 coats of self-etching primer (I took it down to bare metal) and 3 coats of khaki on top. The only regret with this paint is that it is greener that the khaki sample picture on the can, and it isn't quite the color I would have chosen, but not bad though. I may spray another top coat to modify the color according to what exterior color I choose, which won't be far off, as I have now stripped about 2/3 of the hull and hope to get the primer sprayed this weekend.

047 (2) (640x480).jpg024 (640x480).jpg021 (640x480).jpgView attachment 13ok i got some more done today but heres some pics to get you up to date011 (640x480).jpg076 (480x640).jpg032 (640x480).jpg004 (640x480).jpg009 (3) (640x480).jpg039 (2) (640x480).jpg038 (2) (640x480).jpg035 (2) (640x480).jpg030 (640x480).jpg044 (2) (640x480).jpg029 (640x480).jpg005 (3) (640x480).jpg050 (640x480).jpg

sorry about the order but im still trying to figure out this attchment placing in line thing. you can see pics from both mods( used treated wood on 1st, thats the reason for 2) even if i didnt use treated wood on the 1st i was gonna redo it because i was unhappy about the weight gain(i kept the floors in from the first mod) so the 2nd time i used 1/2 in. instead of 3/4 in. for the deck but not the floors. so now im gutting it to do FINAL!! lol! mod with aluminum. i took out the middle bench to make more room, im gonna put in 2 pedastal seats between decks. there are these 2 flotation boxes in back that i removed for more storage. before there was a small place for battery,gas etc....now its a lot bigger,im gonna make it 3 seperate storage spots. is the board on the back of the transom normal? guess ive never noticed on other boats. should it be thicker? also, the 2 rivets on the transom, what kind are they? they look the same on the inside as the outside(rounded smooth).

whoops! i forgot to post pic with all the foam removed from the back. i will get a pic and post later....

042 (3) (640x480).jpgone more thing, my title says its a superior v, but heres the tag. ive never heard of a 16 jumbo v6 whats the difference from a superior and a jumbo?

any suggestions on what guage aluminum i should use?(i weight about 175lbs) also heard of putting it in a break to bend it so i wouldnt have to support it besides on the edges? can anyone explain the process?

shawnfish said:
is this good enough to prime?

Looks good from the pictures. Your boat is turning out nice, thanks for the measurements, that's a nice size boat.

looks nice.yes it is ready for primer on bottom.are you gonna do the top also? i just did a 1973 lowline.i just have to carpet it and find some cheap under car graphic lighting kits for night fishing.good luck

larryg said:
looks nice.yes it is ready for primer on bottom.are you gonna do the top also? i just did a 1973 lowline.i just have to carpet it and find some cheap under car graphic lighting kits for night fishing.good luck
gonna do top also and inside, all those pics are of the boat after the 2nd attempt, exept the ones with the middle bench and floors removed, ive just about got all my aluminum(hope 1/4 inch is thick enough) together and plan on gettin on it fri,sat and sun so i will post some updated pics soon....

Final WET Sanding with 180 Grit
Wash Down with 50/50 mix of White Vinegar and Water.
Prime with Rustoleum Self Etching Primer
Paint with Rustoleum Professional Oil Based Paint using the following formula.

1 qt paint
1/2 cup Acetone
2 oz Valspar Acrylic Enamel Hardener (Sold @ Tractor Supply)
Applied using the Roll n' Roll Method. (If Spraying thin with 2 Cups of Acetone

i had went to a good paint store and got the hardner,took awhile but it was worth it.

Quick question: I also opted for 1/2 in plywood. How far apart did you space your stainless screws. I thought maybe every 9 or 12 inches would work, but I figured Id ask. Naturally the less the screws the better the appearance, but the thinner wood probably needs more screws. Should I pre-drill the holes before carpeting? Thanks, I just want to get this step right the first time.

Latest posts