1980 Bass Tracker III

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
huntinfool said:
Looks good, where did you get the wiring harness from. I'm kinda wishing I had done that with mine.

Thanks it's "home grown"....LOL Built it myself...

I am a mechanic/shop owner (auto and heavy equipment) while I don't know much about boats I do know mechanics and DC electrical.... That harness is the acc. power supply, on board charger distribution, acc lighting and stereo...

If you have any questions I'll be glad to help!

Thanks
Jerry

I do fiberglass boat repairs for a living and also do some mechanical work on occasion. I have never seen a wire harness look so clean and I was wondering if this was something I could purchase. I have been re-wiring a customers boat the last couple days and I was actually thinking about re-wiring mine. Luckily my boat does not have that much to wire.

huntinfool said:
I do fiberglass boat repairs for a living and also do some mechanical work on occasion. I have never seen a wire harness look so clean and I was wondering if this was something I could purchase. I have been re-wiring a customers boat the last couple days and I was actually thinking about re-wiring mine. Luckily my boat does not have that much to wire.

I actually thought about making custom harness for boat applications but I don't know what the market would bear because there is really no one who does it that I know of. I will say that wire, loom, shrink, connectors, junctions, breakers, bus bars, and fuse blocks will run me just shy of $170 in parts alone. Labor (can can mover pretty quick :D ) would be actual time and would run at least $200 based on shop rates for building automotive harnesses. Something tells me that I wouldn't move very many.... But the labor will include these circuits in this build... Bilge, Live Well, Nav Lights, AM/FM/CD, 3 bank charger, Int. Lights, 3 power outlets (cig lighters), tach, temp, and volt gauges, Sonar, Trolling Motor, Remote 120v power supply, 3 300 amp junction blocks, 2 50amp fuse panels, 3 ground bus bars, and sound so it is pretty involved but went quickly...

On another note still can't find my memory card but got all of the front deck done and installed and working on mounting my TM. I'll have some pics in the next day or two!

awesome build man I just bought a Tracker III too.. its gonna take a years worth of work but it helps looking at what your doing.. keep us posted and keep up the good work

=D> nice work on the harness, built a few myself or should i say rebuilt! love getting the big box's of loom from napa! and what else can i say but solder,solder,solder!
Boat is looking awsome! and even with the cost its the way you want it!

Thanks guys for the compliments!

As for sealing the wood I went CDX exterior grade ply wood with Thompson. I know there is a big debate about using it but I've done a few boats and the carpet has never outlasted the wood in any of my cases so it works for me.

Harness.... Oh the harness, this was one of the most timely harness I've built to date. I've done 214 wire automotive harness that did not take this long...lol. I auctually burnt up my Craftsman 19.2v drill spinning these harness for this boat. All in all I am very happy with it and know it is done right!

I've gotten most of the interior done on it now and couldn't get any pics due to my memory card problem so there are a lot of the steps that I don't have pics of. I also started a new job a few weeks back so the project has been sitting and will be for a few more weeks.

I'll try to get some updates soon!

Thanks,
Jerry

I have one also, and have rebuilt it twice. In answer to your old question, the live well setup just replaces water using the pump and the lake, and runs out thru the standpipe. Works great, anyway. Other than re-in-forcing the front and rear seat mounts, replacing wood and carpet, the basic structure is still sound. I lost the windshield years ago. I also replaced the foam flotation. My 31 yr old 50 hp Mercury even still runs. It's been a great boat.

in the bow storage area did you tak you the support that goes in the middle or did yours not have one and did you get rid of the foam blocks from up front or did yours not have one.

where did you put the third battery and did you seal the original storage door up front an add one up top or reuse it. cause i was thinking about adding one up on the bow floor.

do you have any finished pictures i was just given the same boat by my father in law for our wedding and i am gutting the whole thing like you did. have a few other questions regarding wiring if you have the time.

Hi, I just got the exact same boat for $250. Has brand new tires and rims. Unfortunatly no motor though :( . On the back deck of your boat near the livewell, does your deck bend down towards the sides? Mine does and it is bothering me. But I guess I have to deal with minor probs for $250. I am a few steps behind you. I'd like to get my trailer done this week, then move on to the boat, even though I got excited and already cut out wood for the decks.