1985 tx tournament Bass Tracker restoration attempt-1st time

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patsway

Reaction score
Got this boat about 2 weeks ago and tore it apart, wet foam, rotten decks, old console, wiring issues and holes everywhere. This is the first time I have done this and will be very appreciative of any help I can get. After reading all the great posts on this forum I have the courage to give it a go. I now need some serious help with replacing a transom that has a rotten spot under where on old anchor was placed/ It doesn't seem to effect the stability of the motor....Yet, but thought since I had it apart go ahead and do it right.

Attachments

• back of boat inside.JPG
    back of boat inside.JPG
    406.2 KB · Views: 991
  • front of boat.JPG
    front of boat.JPG
    619.7 KB · Views: 991
  • transom 4.JPG
    transom 4.JPG
    490.7 KB · Views: 991
  • transom 1.JPG
    transom 1.JPG
    343.4 KB · Views: 991
  • transom 6.JPG
    transom 6.JPG
    490.7 KB · Views: 991
  • back of boat side.JPG
    back of boat side.JPG
    428.5 KB · Views: 991
  • Whole boat before restoration.jpg
    Whole boat before restoration.jpg
    465.9 KB · Views: 991
Yep, replace that transom, it will only get worse.
Tracker has had a problem with welds leaking at the ends. I just push some epoxy in them. However that is from the outside. Since you have it apart, you could take it to a welder and have them all welded, or just smear some 5200 over them. That will stop the leak.

Thanks for the reply. Do you have any experience with transom repair on this boat or know where there is a link to someone else who did this step by step? I am not sure if I can just drill out the rivets on the top caps and then remove the transom or I I need to break the welds as well and completely rebuild. There are 20 or so rivets across the back of the transom, not really sure how to get those out (drill?). Thanks again
I will try to give step by step on my progress I as go at this? (mistakes and all).

Been there done that. There is no easy way to do it other than cut the welds and removing the splash well and as you've already noticed all the rivers and bolts in the back. As painful as it may seem now is the time to do it since you've already taken it apart. You will be happy in the end that you did it right.

Absolutely replace the transom. It is a slow process, cutting out, building the wood support, spar varnish, reinstalling. Seems to take forever, but you only want to build this once. Take your time, rushing through this step usually brings more problems. When you have it back in place find a good welder to redo the seams. Should be a great build when finished.

Thanks for the feedback from everyone. I am finally getting the time to start taking apart the transom. I do have a few questions. When I drill out the heads of the rivets, it leaves a hollow shaft that is hard to center punch the rivets out the other way. Any tips here? Someone also told me to replace the rivets with stainless steel bolts and rubber washers, and put 5200 on the bolts as I reapply. Do you all think that is the best way to go back with the transom rebuild?

I also want to put the Gluvit back in the bottom inside of the boat just to make sure I have seamed it up real good. Can anyone tell me when and how is the best time to apply the Gluvit?

Thanks again everyone!!!

If I understand your rivet issue sounds like you may need to use a size bigger drill bit. I replaced my rivets with bolts, rubber washers and 5200. Seemed like the way to go to me. As for the gluvit I put mine on when I was done rebucking the rivets and before I was ready to put the inside back together.

Thanks Bobsbaits

I appreciate the response. This has been a slow process so far. I will be glad when I finally get the transom back together. I will feel like I am getting somewhere then.
I have seen where some people are using metal framing studs instead of wood for the deck extension. I have had no luck finding the right studs at Lowes or Depot, seems they do not sell anymore. If I use wood studs, what is the best to use, 2x4's treated with Spar or can you use 1x1's to save on the weight?
Also could someone help me with the proper steps for putting the boat back together? My father in law will be wiring everything back for me and installing the motor and steering. should I go ahead and put in the floor and decks before that happens or will it get in his way?
Also I am wanting to paint the top half of the sides of the boat. anyone have any good ideas on that process?

Again, thanks for everyone's help with this project. I am truly learning as I go

I will try to post more pictures as I start to put things back together if anyone is interested

Latest posts