1987 Johnson Problems

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony Sisk

Reaction score
Ive got a 15 hp Johnson On my boat and my gas tank got water in it.Dont know how long it was in there And i tried to start it a few times.To make a long story short it still wont crank.Ive cleand the carb -put a new fuel pump on-new plugs.The motor is also getting a little hard to pull.Any ideas?I would greatly appreciate any help i could get .I dont have the money to put it in the shop and bass fishing time is here. :( :( :(

Pull the plugs and check the cylinders for corrosion, you can use a flashlight or a bore scope to check the cylinder walls. You proly don't have a problem there tho, but I would check. Make sure the plugs are gapped right while you have them out. Rebuild the carb, don't just clean it. Check your fuel lines for blockage and leaks (air) and make sure you are getting spark. You can get a spark tester at Autozone, sometimes they will let you borrow it.

Make sure you are getting spark and fuel, then go from there. Get a manual for the motor and do a link and sync. ALL of this will only take a few hours of time and less than $100 in parts proly.

like rat said first thing i'd so is check for spark, clean point contacts ect

then pull the carb off and make sure the float isnt sticking. blow threw the gas line with the carb upside down - should not be able to blow, fliper back over and blow, air should blow threw. Dont blow the guts out of it, only takes 1 or 2 psi. If anything is "iffy" rebuild the carb

If you fine some corrosion when you pull the plugs squirt some Marvel Mystery Oil in the spark plug holes and turn it over a few times.