1996 Spectrum 18' Sport - Am I crazy?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thill

Reaction score
I rebuilt a Spectrum 16 Sport last summer, and it turned out great. I really like the boat.

Recently, I came across an 18 Sport, the bigger version of this same boat. This is pretty appealing to me. It's very similar but is about 2.5 feet longer (19' long) and a foot wider. (7'2" beam) It is pushed by a 90 HP engine, (versus a 60) and only weighs 300 lbs more than the 16 footer, so it should scoot pretty nicely.

This should be a good big and small water vessel. It should be capable enough to handle the Chesapeake Bay and Eastern Shore inlets on moderate days, yet still float high enough to run the lakes and rivers in our area.

I can think of many things I like about it's potential, but there are a lot of negatives. First of all, the boat is stripped and gutted, with a lot of stuff missing. Take a look at these pictures:

397734136_6895574460536990_6283624200175450047_n.jpg 397893880_6306735436097441_2012393088648441589_n.jpg

The outside looks decent, but it's a complete wreck inside. Here is how the boat was inside when he got it:

415370872_366912422630428_1271827801672496275_n.jpg

He thought he was going to redo the boat, so he gutted it out even more:

415441625_731059095637715_1825779608665988764_n.jpg
415370882_889014136202852_2385913136555647133_n.jpg

As you may have read from my previous rebuild, to replace that transom requires cutting out a lot of the structure and welding it back together. A somewhat daunting task for someone of my meager welding skills, but I got the first one done, so I guess I can do this one, too.

Besides all the work involved in rebuilding this boat, there are two major issues...
  1. He doesn't have all of the pieces that came out of the boat.
  2. He doesn't have title for either the boat or the trailer.
He had the best intentions, but he is over his head and just wants it gone, now. All of this being said, I'm looking at $1k to take the chance on this project boat.

So, what do you think? Am I crazy to pay for this kind of torture?

Last edited:
That is the biggest rub, more than anything else. I have always been able to get a title eventually, but if the last owner can't be reached, you have to post newspaper ads (which are $$$ nowadays) and wait a YEAR, and then you get it if no response. I've only had to do that once, and it was worth it. Once, a previous owner tried to claim the boat, but the agency said something to him, and he backed down.

My last one, the Spectrum 16 Sport, I hunted the previous owner down, and he had no interest in the boat, so I got the title very quickly. Tomorrow is a holiday, but on Tuesday, I'm going to reach out to wildlife and see if I can get the ball rolling. If it's looking good, I'll proceed. If it's looking impossible, I'll probably back away.

Yes...you would be crazy !! Until there is a clear title, you are in posession of a stolen boat and motor !! Second thing is...I would not waste my time on a Force outboard motor !! Your call, your money.....you ask for opinions !!

I guess there is another positive of this boat, over the one I did already. It doesn't look like nearly as much corrosion in this boat. The last one was like Swiss-cheese, and needed a lot of plug welds.

Yes...you would be crazy !! Until there is a clear title, you are in posession of a stolen boat and motor !! Second thing is...I would not waste my time on a Force outboard motor !! Your call, your money.....you ask for opinions !!
Yes, I did, and thank you for voicing that opinion.

I am seeking other's thoughts to help me analyze it carefully before getting into this mess. So feel free to talk me down off the ledge! 🤪

Not sure your location but if in PA. I would not consider it without title, but that’s just me. IMO the price is too high without a title and condition of boat. It’s a gamble, obtaining title is no guarantee. Take the risk only if you have 1000$ bucks you don’t mind losing, and a place to keep it, and don’t mind the headache if you end up stuck with a boat that’s worthless.

You need to ask yourself why the current owner quit on it and never got a title.

That is the biggest rub, more than anything else. I have always been able to get a title eventually, but if the last owner can't be reached, you have to post newspaper ads (which are $$$ nowadays) and wait a YEAR, and then you get it if no response. I've only had to do that once, and it was worth it. Once, a previous owner tried to claim the boat, but the agency said something to him, and he backed down.

My last one, the Spectrum 16 Sport, I hunted the previous owner down, and he had no interest in the boat, so I got the title very quickly. Tomorrow is a holiday, but on Tuesday, I'm going to reach out to wildlife and see if I can get the ball rolling. If it's looking good, I'll proceed. If it's looking impossible, I'll probably back away.
The state of Illinois DNR has a program where they will try to contact the last owner for you. You have to know the last registration number.
I've haven't tried it.

We don't really know if it's stolen, it could be abandoned property. If the state gets involved, we will know.
Since Thill has it, we wait and see. The state of Illinois won't let you do a home-built trailer on a factory-built trail anymore.

Seems to me that the Pro`s vs Con`s list, the Con`s wins.

We don't really know if it's stolen, it could be abandoned property. If the state gets involved, we will know.
Since Thill has it, we wait and see. The state of Illinois won't let you do a home-built trailer on a factory-built trail anymore.
You hit it on the head. It was abandoned at a rental property, exactly like my last one. I will be investigating the title process tomorrow.

The state of Illinois DNR has a program where they will try to contact the last owner for you. You have to know the last registration number.
I've haven't tried it.
Sounds like the same process we have here in VA. It can be very slow to impossible, but if the owner can be reached and is agreeable, it can go very quickly. It's a roll of the dice

Gutted and stripped is a plus, as far as I'm concerned. Saves you from having to do it.

No titles -- deal killer. Unless your state has an easy-peazy work around, I'd walk away, even if it was free.
I'd rather take it apart myself, but that's a good way to look at it. It DOES save a lot of time! He got it cleaned out pretty nicely.

Seems to me that the Pro`s vs Con`s list, the Con`s wins.
That's how it's looking so far, but we will see... If I can get title, that changes things drastically.

Not sure your location but if in PA. I would not consider it without title, but that’s just me. IMO the price is too high without a title and condition of boat. It’s a gamble, obtaining title is no guarantee. Take the risk only if you have 1000$ bucks you don’t mind losing, and a place to keep it, and don’t mind the headache if you end up stuck with a boat that’s worthless.

You need to ask yourself why the current owner quit on it and never got a title.
I asked him directly, and he said it was because he didn't know how to get a title, and it's too big of a project for him. An honest answer. He didn't sugar-coat anything.

You being from PA gives me a bit of pause. It sounds like they may not be very easy to deal with. I know the process here in VA, in MD, and in NC, but I've never dealt with PA before.

Have you dealt with their DNR much?

What do you envision doing to this boat? Center console? Do you think the hull will be sound without the structure of the original walk-thru consoles and front deck?

In my state, the seller applies to the DMV to get a replacement title. No help to you I'm afraid.

$1k seems high for no titles, missing parts and undesirable outboard. The only value as it sits is scrap. You just have to decide the premium you place on that hull.
That's about the size of it!

I really DO like the hull, if I can get title.

The other Spectrum came with a blown up Force 70 and I got $350 for it pretty fast. Helped pay for carpet, bolts and other misc. stuff. I hope this one will work out in a similar way to the last one, but your opinion sounds right to me.

What do you envision doing to this boat? Center console? Do you think the hull will be sound without the structure of the original walk-thru consoles and front deck?

In my state, the seller applies to the DMV to get a replacement title. No help to you I'm afraid.

LDUBS,
When I spoke to him last night, it turns out that he DOES have the front platform framing and the right-side console. He also has the pour-in replacement foam. But no left console.

If I can get title, I would be planning to turn it into a side-console boat. I think the structure will be sound. That is one thing I like about these hulls. These boats have wide, structural gunnels and those box-beams down each side @ the floor make the boat rigid. These boats are very solid through chop at speed, the way they are designed

The front deck just sits on the floor and doesn't tie to the hull, but the consoles DO tie the gunnels to the floor, so I would need to replace that rigidity one way or another. Maybe through the front deck, or maybe another way. I'd need to think about that carefully.

It might not be too hard to rebuild the other side-console, but I'd need a windshield, or it will just look stupid.

A lot of stuff to think about. That's why I'm listening to everyone's replies!

LDUBS,
When I spoke to him last night, it turns out that he DOES have the front platform framing and the right-side console. He also has the pour-in replacement foam. But no left console.

If I can get title, I would be planning to turn it into a side-console boat. I think the structure will be sound. That is one thing I like about these hulls. These boats have wide, structural gunnels and those box-beams down each side @ the floor make the boat rigid. These boats are very solid through chop at speed, the way they are designed

The front deck just sits on the floor and doesn't tie to the hull, but the consoles DO tie the gunnels to the floor, so I would need to replace that rigidity one way or another. Maybe through the front deck, or maybe another way. I'd need to think about that carefully.

It might not be too hard to rebuild the other side-console, but I'd need a windshield, or it will just look stupid.

A lot of stuff to think about. That's why I'm listening to everyone's replies!

That there is some good news. Seems the stumbling block is the title. I'm assuming the current owner also doesn't have any old registration documents.

I also like this boat and would be tempted. Sadly, my enthusiasm would be greatly tempered by the missing title albatross (my kids would say buzz kill - Lol).

It sounds like you have experience dealing with title issues. Ultimately, you will have to decide if the title issue is worth it.

There is a nearby state from me that does not require titles on boats, only state reqistrations. I have saw cases where folks go to that state and register their boats that don't have titles....then come back to their own state and apply for a title with that registration.. I have been told by the deputy registrar that a title required state " must" accept the registration from non titled states as proof of ownership as long as the boat is not on a stolen list.
Just some thoughts here....