20' Lowe Olympic Jon Boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
fool4fish1226 said:
Just wanted to say that I have been watching your build for sometime now and love the way it is turning out. Keep up the great work.
Thanks for the compliment Fish, There is so much weight, I just hope it floats!
olbrazosDon said:
When I was building patio covers and carports out of aliminum "W" roof panels and extruded gutter recievers and fascia, I used an 80 tooth plywood carbide tipped blade and lots of wax.(on radial arm saw, shop pre-cuts and skillsaw, on-site cutting) That stick in a cardboard tube is best. It's bees wax and paraffin mixed. It lubricates the blade and reduces heat build up while cutting through the metal. Cuts like it was butter.

Great build, Jerry. I have been watching with great interest.
Nice tip Don......my Skill Saw loves you! :D

Let me know how it works for you, Jerry. It has been a long time since I did any of that kind of work. If you bought that screen room extrusion from a patio company they would be able to tell you where to get that lube stick, I'm sure. I built many a patio cover and screen room with that stuff back about 40 years ago.

Great looking work Jerry! I know you can't wait to finish and start fishin', me too, I am almost ready myself. Getting ready to get some rain from your direction here in NC :cry:

mmf said:
Great looking work Jerry! I know you can't wait to finish and start fishin', me too, I am almost ready myself. Getting ready to get some rain from your direction here in NC :cry:
Yep, just had 3 days of it here, but used the down time to work on the boat. :)
Sending "Good Weather" MOJO to you Mike! Happy Boating!

I like the way you can get to everything underneath the decking if you need to work on anything. It is looking great!

Howdy, I'm a new member here but have looked around here a lot for ideas for my boat. I was reading through your thread and saw you were thinking about using Herculiner over your aluminum deck. I was just going to give some insight on the experience I have had with Herculiner, which was not very good. I rolled the bed in my truck with 2 complete coats. Followed all the instructions on the can. Cleaned, scuffed, wipe down with Xylol, and then applied 3 extremely generous coats and let it cure without being driven or used for several days. I can't recall whether I bought 2 gallons or 3, but I think I bought 3. They were on sale at the auto store, and I had a friend who worked there, and he hooked me up with his employee discount. I got a great deal. The stuff looked AWESOME for 3-4 months. But, I use my truck extremely often, especially the bed for hauling. I buy steel fairly frequently as I build custom front/rear replacement bumpers and other truck/jeep/4x4 accessories or anything out of metal for fun when time allows. After a few trips, it was gouged out and gone in several places. Also, this Texas heat where I live gave it a hard time. The bed would get so hot, the Herculiner would get soft and mushy and would come up extremely easily. The sun also faded the black Herculiner and it just looks extremely patchy and bad now. The stuff I got and all the Herculiner I have seen is also very rough on your feet. I definitely wouldn't want to walk around on it barefoot when it is hot outside. Maybe I have just had a horrible experience, but I don't think that is necessarily the case, as very similar things have happened to several friends who did this as well. Their bed liners just thinned out much faster because they did not do as many coats.

Your boat is absolutely amazing, and I would hate for you to have the same experience I did with the Herculiner. I am very impressed by your build and will keep looking for updates.

mmf said:
I like the way you can get to everything underneath the decking if you need to work on anything. It is looking great!
Thanks Mike, it does have a lot of hinges and hatches. Should make it easier for the "Coasties" if I get inspected too. :)

MacDaddy21 said:
Howdy, I'm a new member here but have looked around here a lot for ideas for my boat. I was reading through your thread and saw you were thinking about using Herculiner over your aluminum deck. I was just going to give some insight on the experience I have had with Herculiner, which was not very good. I rolled the bed in my truck with 2 complete coats. Followed all the instructions on the can. Cleaned, scuffed, wipe down with Xylol, and then applied 3 extremely generous coats and let it cure without being driven or used for several days. I can't recall whether I bought 2 gallons or 3, but I think I bought 3. They were on sale at the auto store, and I had a friend who worked there, and he hooked me up with his employee discount. I got a great deal. The stuff looked AWESOME for 3-4 months. But, I use my truck extremely often, especially the bed for hauling. I buy steel fairly frequently as I build custom front/rear replacement bumpers and other truck/jeep/4x4 accessories or anything out of metal for fun when time allows. After a few trips, it was gouged out and gone in several places. Also, this Texas heat where I live gave it a hard time. The bed would get so hot, the Herculiner would get soft and mushy and would come up extremely easily. The sun also faded the black Herculiner and it just looks extremely patchy and bad now. The stuff I got and all the Herculiner I have seen is also very rough on your feet. I definitely wouldn't want to walk around on it barefoot when it is hot outside. Maybe I have just had a horrible experience, but I don't think that is necessarily the case, as very similar things have happened to several friends who did this as well. Their bed liners just thinned out much faster because they did not do as many coats.
Your boat is absolutely amazing, and I would hate for you to have the same experience I did with the Herculiner. I am very impressed by your build and will keep looking for updates.
Thanks for looking and offering advise MacDaddy. It is really great when someone has 1st hand knowledge of a product and chimes in. I was planing on using Jasco as a scuffing agent and then applying either white or grey Herculiner. When the time comes, I will be sure to experiment with a smaller section. Thanks again. Jerry :)

Jonboat Jerry said:
mmf said:
Thanks Mike, it does have a lot of hinges and hatches. Should make it easier for the "Coasties" if I get inspected too. :)

You mean your not going to be running drugs in you 20' flat bottom :roll:

Looking great Jerry, I also like the fact that you can fully access the hull if needed. Your attention to the details on this project is what impresses me the most.

Derek said:
Jonboat Jerry said:
mmf said:

You mean your not going to be running drugs in you 20' flat bottom :roll:

Looking great Jerry, I also like the fact that you can fully access the hull if needed. Your attention to the details on this project is what impresses me the most.

Man, I don't even SMOKE! :lol: Thanks for the comment Derek. I've got so many hours into this project, I don't want to make a mistake! :)

Jerry, I hear what "Macdaddy21" says but there will be a lot of difference in "hauling steel"and "hauling ***" in my opinion... :eek:

mmf said:
Jerry, I hear what "Macdaddy21" says but there will be a lot of difference in "hauling steel"and "hauling ***" in my opinion... :eek:
I hear what you are saying Mike. I'm hoping that Jasco prep and a lighter color will make a difference.
BTW, I checked with a Rhinoliner dealer in New Port Richey who gave me a verbal quote of $900 :shock:
for a 20X6 deck.....don't think I'll be going that route.
Like Dory said, "Just keep hacking....just keep hacking" :)

MacDaddy21 said:
...........I rolled the bed in my truck with 2 complete coats. Followed all the instructions on the can. Cleaned, scuffed, wipe down with Xylol, and then applied 3 extremely generous coats and let it cure without being driven or used for several days.............

Hey MacDaddy Your post seems to read you put 2 coats on then the next line you say you put 3 coats on! Am I reading something into it this or is it a typo!

My mistake, that was a typo. I did put 3 full coats on. I got an awesome discount on it and I wanted it to be thicker. Some of my buddies had gone the 1 gallon route on their trucks before I did mine, and it just didn't hold up.

Maybe it will be better on the diamond plate. The only experience I have using it on diamond plate was on a trailer I built for a customer a few years ago. It was a 20 ft gooseneck cattle trailer, and on the back "bumper step" I cut diamond plate to make the step all the way around the back of the trailer. Also, the cross members on the trailer frame had diamond plate on the flat side that was exposed inside the trailer. I rolled Herculiner on the bumper and on those 5 or 6 cross members, and then put the composite boards in. It looked great upon completion, but I haven't seen the trailer since so I couldn't say how it has held up over the years with all the cattle walking on it.

The main thing about it that I don't like is the size of the rubber chunks inside. They are all pretty small, and when they are dry and hard, they don't feel good to me. If a picture would help I can post one up of the bed of my truck as it is now. I don't have a before and after unfortunately, but I can at least show how it has thinned out.

Jonboat Jerry said:
mmf said:
I hear what you are saying Mike. I'm hoping that Jasco prep and a lighter color will make a difference.
BTW, I checked with a Rhinoliner dealer in New Port Richey who gave me a verbal quote of $900 :shock:
for a 20X6 deck.....don't think I'll be going that route.
Like Dory said, "Just keep hacking....just keep hacking" :)

$900? WHOOO-WEE, ARE THEY CRAZY? You should have told them, "I don't have that much in the decking!"

hi new to site boat looks awsome it all comes down to free time and extra pocket change.i am building 14 foot lowe and i cant beleive the money invested allready and still no end in site keep up the good work =D>

mmf said:
$900? WHOOO-WEE, ARE THEY CRAZY? You should have told them, "I don't have that much in the decking!"
I did mention that I originally bought the boat and motor for only $700. :)
donkey said:
hi new to site boat looks awsome it all comes down to free time and extra pocket change.i am building 14 foot lowe and i cant beleive the money invested allready and still no end in site keep up the good work =D>
Welcome to Tin Boats Donkey! Glad to hear from another Tin Builder. Be sure to fill out your profile so we can see where you are and post up some pictures of your project. :)

MacDaddy21 said:
My mistake, that was a typo. I did put 3 full coats on. I got an awesome discount on it and I wanted it to be thicker. Some of my buddies had gone the 1 gallon route on their trucks before I did mine, and it just didn't hold up.

Kind of figured a typo, was just trying to figure out what might be going on as to why it didn't hold up for ya? Cause I'm thinking of doing one of the do it yourself liners. Don't want to hi-jack the thread as JJ has got a Great one going with lot's of participants! Good Luck!

Been doing lots of little stuff on the boat, but it all has to be done before it gets wet.
Here's the latest....enjoy
Added some Rod Holders.
DSC00168.jpg

tip:Once you locate the pilot hole grab a holder and turn it upside down
flush on the deck. Then you can use it to line up your Hole Saw.
DSC00169.jpg

Nice flush fit
DSC00170.jpg

Front Deck
DSC001732.jpg

Bait well all plumbed in, shut off valve on left
DSC001762.jpg

Looking down at the transom, Baitwell pump on left, Black and Red connectors are for motor
battery.
DSC001772.jpg

Rear Deck
DSC001822.jpg

Electrical Panel
DSC001832.jpg

Again.....It's easy to get lost behind a panel, so I label everything.
DSC001852.jpg

Jerry,
Your boat is looking fantastic. I was wondering if you have cut anything useing the lube on the saw blade that I sugested? I am about to start my mod on a Alumicraft 14/48. I am interested to know if my solution still works. Did you buy your 2"X 2'' material as scrap or new lengths from the supplier and what was the cost? I may be wrong in asking about the price but I am tried for I drove from Dallas to Pascagoula, MS on Tuesday and back on Wensday this week and I am tired, Since we have had the drought this summer, I am anxious to do something to my boat and get back on the river, Any help would be apreaciated.