'55 sears jon boat Fixer Uper. ( My First duck Boat ) !!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duckmanclyde

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I just recently bought a 12 ft. sears jon boat on craigslist and thought itd be cool for everyone to see! I've got most of the fixing already done so you can see all the progress at once.
First pic is actually the ad photo from craigslist.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 089.jpg
    clydes game calls 089.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 1,847
This is after i tore out the nasty old transom.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 095.jpg
    clydes game calls 095.jpg
    289.7 KB · Views: 1,845
This is the new transom. Cut it to shape, painted it. Cleaned and primed the boat. Then i bolted it down.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 097.jpg
    clydes game calls 097.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 1,845
I ground the old rivets down, redrilled and bolted the handles back on

Attachments

• clydes game calls 098.jpg
    clydes game calls 098.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 1,845
I whiped up a little jb weld and applied it to a rough seam. The boat floated just fine, i just wanted to reinforce, just in case.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 105.jpg
    clydes game calls 105.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 1,845
I washed the outside and proceeded to paint.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 104.jpg
    clydes game calls 104.jpg
    341 KB · Views: 1,845
  • clydes game calls 106.jpg
    clydes game calls 106.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 1,845
I ended up not liking the paint job. So i found an old can of mineral spirits, some steel wool. And got to work. Im currently working on getting my dads pressure washer going so i can clean the entire thing. Then ill do a tan colored base coat on the whole boat.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 107.jpg
    clydes game calls 107.jpg
    260.5 KB · Views: 1,845
[url=https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=324639#p324639 said:
duckmanclyde » 02 Aug 2013, 21:32[/url]"]I ended up not liking the paint job. So i found an old can of mineral spirits, some steel wool. And got to work. Im currently working on getting my dads pressure washer going so i can clean the entire thing. Then ill do a tan colored base coat on the whole boat.

You are doing nice work. I did much the same with the first camo job I did. I'd bet most folks who end up re-doing their camo paint do so because we make it too dark, (in my case) and because we just didn't do the research.

Have fun, be safe.

Thanks! Right now I'm trying to clean out the jets in my dads pressure washer. Really old gas, lacquered right up. And doesn't seems to change with sea foam. Other than that, working on buying Parker duck boat paint for a base coat and stencils.

Look at my thread, I achieved my pattern by spray over grass I held up against my tan base coat. Might not want to get stencils. Too much work for no benefit when it comes to killing ducks... And more money in spray paint. If the paint you put on is sticking that good, just self etching primer the bare stuff and paint over everything else.

Well, I broke the couplink that you screw the garden hose to. So I took it to the car wash. Now she's ready for a new paint job!!

it has paint!! unfortunatly 3 cans wasnt enough to cover the whole boat. i think 1 more can should do it.

Attachments

• clydes game calls 132.jpg
    clydes game calls 132.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 1,457
finally done guys!! got the last can of drab green then the cat tail tan over some tails that i cut oit backImageUploadedByTapatalk1378401997.101872.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1378402006.241387.jpg

Here's a post I made in DuckChat in response to a young guy who was not-all-that interested in painting his canoe camo. Most won't agree because they are much more dedicated to duck hunting and all the neat stuff you can get. But...I still think it is accurate.

Take it for what it's worth:

OK.

You want a camo canoe or do you want to hide your canoe from ducks in a lake or river?

BIG difference. Hunters, and I include myself, love de camoflage.

Ducks? Not all that picky. They are mostly spooked by movement and attentive to dramatic change in environment--like a red canoe or light floor in a boat, or shiny metal.

Consider a couple of burlap camo drapes from Wal-Mart. $11.00 each, 54 inches by 12 feet, clip to gunwales or over prow with cheap clips.

It is cheap and easy and will not satisfy your primal need to be one with the reeds/weeds/trees. But, it works. Some rushes zip-tied or clipped to the bow (if you are floating downriver), or along the sides to break up the straight line sides of the canoe, or even a collapsible lawn chair with the camo draped over it. Silly, I know. But it's all about outline. Drape a branch or some cattails to give a 3-D effect. Keep in mind, loose camo can snag on stuff as you float by it, but mostly, it works just fine.

You won't get the satisfaction out of a paint job well-done and admired by friends and family with the burlap.

But, more than likely, you'll sneak up on ducks.

Two Golden Hawks: 1980's vintage rescue:
https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/Kismethimself/Boats/woodstockcanoerightsideinpec-2.jpg

This year's (new to me) 2000 model, with one of the factory. (They've revised their camo offering since.) paint jobs:
https://i275.photobucket.com/albums/jj297/Kismethimself/Boats/woodstockflyingcanoe003.jpg

Have fun, be safe.

Latest posts